IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Oh, Bottle Palms aren’t supposed to have red fronds?

2hp

I mail ordered this juvenile Bottle Palm (Hyophorbe lagenicaulis) a month ago and put it out in full sun on the patio. Since the stems had a reddish cast, I didn’t worry very much when the fronds started turning red. It was rather pretty actually. But now it’s clear that I have badly sunburned the palm. 

The palm came with only two fronds. Since both fronds are “toast” (pardon the pun) what are the chances of survival? As you can see, there’s a new frond coming in. But can the palm survive without photosynthesis until it does? 

I have moved it to less sunny location (AM direct sun only) but what else can I do?

Grateful for the guidance.

90E5D498-934C-4739-BF9A-BAEBF89E1F2E.jpeg

968C0ED6-E27E-4C3C-BB68-4C2FD8C077C0.jpeg

If it came from a shade or greenhouse I can see it getting fried in full sun like that. I have one of similar size in a container and takes full hot Florida sun no problem though. Could it have gotten frozen in shipment? Either way I say move it to a shaded spot and dont give up as long as the new leaf is pushing out. If it pulls then I’d say your chances will slim down considerably. Good luck

• Like 1

Looks like freeze/cold damage would look….. Shipping?  It looks pretty rough.  Mark the spear with a marker.  If the spear is moving, you’re still good.  If alive, it should start to open early also.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my personal experience, there is NO species of palm that will burn to a crisp faster than a Hyophorbe unacclimated to direct sun (Spindles will do this too).  I learned my lesson, so when mine go out, it's in full shade for a few weeks. Having said that, it could also have been cold damage. 

My question though is whether Bottle palms are hardy enough for your area, they are a hypertropical in my book, Spindles are cold hardier.  Maybe someone from your area can chime in here regarding its long term hardiness for your area.

I actually had a similar sized bottle suffer a similar looking fate.  I kept it in about half-day sun up to the historic Texas freeze of February 2021.  It spent a week in my dark attached garage along with several other large container plants while outside temperatures dropped to 9° on the coldest night.  Coldest temperature inside the garage was 45° during the week.  Everything looked nearly perfect once it warmed up enough to take the plants back outside - except for the bottle palm.  Within a day of being outside in part sun it looked just like yours.  :crying:  Hopefully yours is OK but mine did not survive.  If it's just sun damage it should recover.

Jon

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

3 hours ago, oasis371 said:

…it could also have been cold damage. 

My question though is whether Bottle palms are hardy enough for your area, they are a hypertropical in my book, Spindles are cold hardier.  Maybe someone from your area can chime in here regarding its long term hardiness for your area.

TBH, I think I’m done with mail order plants. 1. You don’t know what you’re going to get. 2. Shipment is fraught with perils. 

In this case, I don’t think cold damage was a factor, since it shipped by truck from the nursery in North Carolina to me in San Diego. I don’t think it was cold enough anywhere along that southern route even in January. 

As for the general suitability of Bottle Palms for my area? Dunno. I can only judge by the ones I see in other people’s front yards. 

19 minutes ago, 2hp said:

TBH, I think I’m done with mail order plants. 1. You don’t know what you’re going to get. 2. Shipment is fraught with perils. 

In this case, I don’t think cold damage was a factor, since it shipped by truck from the nursery in North Carolina to me in San Diego. I don’t think it was cold enough anywhere along that southern route even in January. 

As for the general suitability of Bottle Palms for my area? Dunno. I can only judge by the ones I see in other people’s front yards. 

This is gonna sound like an advertisement, and I'm sorry for that. But if you're in San Diego, I'd go see Phil at Jungle Music. I've bought a few mail order palms from him, and he's incredibly knowledgeable. He's literally forgotten more about palms than a lot of us will ever know. He's local to you, and he's also the only palm seller that's ever followed up with to see how the plants are doing.

I'm in East Texas, so tbf I pay as much for shipping as I do for the plants, but he does package his palms as if UPS was going to drop them out of an airplane and then beat them like they owe UPS money. He isn't the cheapest, but he won't do you wrong. 

Plus, anything you buy from him will already be acclimated to your local climate. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 2hp said:

It really depends on the interstate that the truck was on. It could have easily been in the 60's in the Carolinas while being in the 20's in Oklahoma, if not a more extreme difference. That is if they took I-40
For I-10, it can still be in the 60's in the Carolinas and 30's or lower in central/western Texas or New Mexico.

If this is indeed cold damage, i would say that its likely that your palm was already damaged before it arrived. When you put it out in the sun, thats when it showed the true damage.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

• 2 weeks later...

"In this case, I don’t think cold damage was a factor, since it shipped by truck from the nursery in North Carolina to me in San Diego. I don’t think it was cold enough anywhere along that southern route even in January."

You're joking, right? A 3000 mile truck ride in the winter?

San Diego has the easiest winters north of Key West. 

You forget in high elevation states along that journey from 

texas  New Mexico and northern Arizona it can be very cold 

• Upvote 2