IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

King and Royal Palm in Pot Longevity

ZPalms

I'm just curious to know how long could a King and Royal Palm remain in a pot? I'm assuming they could survive as long as I can protect them I'm guessing?

I’m not sure about king palms but I’ve seen some fairly large royals in pots before. I’m also not sure how they do indoors except that eight month old seedlings seem fine with it. As far as royals go after 2-3 years you are going to need a really high ceiling!

• Like 1

I have a Queen that's pretty tall (approx 6' including pot) that I've had for about a year and a half. If she grows as much as she did last summer, I'm gonna need to sell it or give it away this year lol. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

I’m not sure about king palms but I’ve seen some fairly large royals in pots before. I’m also not sure how they do indoors except that eight month old seedlings seem fine with it. As far as royals go after 2-3 years you are going to need a really high ceiling!

Could I lean the palm over on its side if it gets too large during the winter?

9 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I have a Queen that's pretty tall (approx 6' including pot) that I've had for about a year and a half. If she grows as much as she did last summer, I'm gonna need to sell it or give it away this year lol. 

If it gets to large let it come inside and sleep on the floor :floor:

@ZPalms Its worth a shot, I’m sure short periods of horizontal-ness wouldn't bother it but weeks at a time of having a palm laying on the ground might not be great.  

5 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

@ZPalms Its worth a shot, I’m sure short periods of horizontal-ness wouldn't bother it but weeks at a time of having a palm laying on the ground might not be great.  

Maybe not laying but leaning, I could periodically rotate it and prop it up to make sure the leaves remain loose, Thanks I'll give it a try but I'll need to purchase some seeds first :D:greenthumb:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Maybe not laying but leaning, I could periodically rotate it and prop it up to make sure the leaves remain loose, Thanks I'll give it a try but I'll need to purchase some seeds first :D:greenthumb:

If I had some seeds I’d send you some but I don't at the moment. If I find a tree with good seed I’ll let you know. Probably wont be until summer though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D. Morrowii said:

If I had some seeds I’d send you some but I don't at the moment. If I find a tree with good seed I’ll let you know. Probably wont be until summer though. 

Oh that would be awesome, thanks!!! :D

• Like 1