IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My New Livistona Nitidas

NickJames

2 minutes ago, NickJames said:

What am I missing for the landscaping around the pool? Not married to the current arrangement, just laid out my inventory to figure all I had so far. 

I think you are missing non-palms I think some flowers, shrubs, hedges, tall grasses, Trees, maybe plant some saplings, Live oaks, Citrus, I think there is more to a landscape then palms,(even though there my favorites). Defintley  

• Like 1

Lucas

13 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Water in the pool ?  Pink Flamingos !!    :P

It may not be South Florida, but it’s still Florida.  Get the pool filled before you set out the pink flamingos.  Maybe plant a pineapple out front for good measure.  When couples come a knockin’ that pool better be rockin’.   
4E2556B2-D9C0-4ED2-B4F0-7A05540DE93B.jpeg.2b39809ea18011a94165860082b67f6f.jpeg

Seriously though, @NickJames, I admire your decisiveness in your hardscaping and planting.  I’m inspired.  Wish I could be that way with my back yard.   What are all the other palms you’ve got back there? Looks like you’ve already got a lot.   

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 10:46 AM, NickJames said:

What am I missing for the landscaping around the pool? Not married to the current arrangement, just laid out my inventory to figure all I had so far. 

It looks great already! Maybe some differently colored Croton plants - very tropical but can take some cooler temps as well.

c001.thumb.jpg.6a383b7828eab927eef803981c66c116.jpg

c002.thumb.jpg.552c6bab1669320415d6e9e600ca3351.jpgc003.thumb.jpg.dbc2e4ef04c0136d7317b12c7257fe8c.jpg

c004.thumb.jpg.cabf6059b96a28b11f90f9608f252072.jpg

There are countless different variations/species in the Croton genus - I think they would add a nice contrast to your white fence...

Lars

• Like 2

Definitely some color, add some different Hawaiian TI types like the deep burgundy, Red Sister, or others.  If you have a partly shady area you could add tricolor ginger or similar.  The yellow trunks of Asian Lemon bamboo are a nice mix too, just not next to an A/C.  :D  A mix of leaf types would be nice too, since most of them are fans.  Or add a silvery palm like a Butia or Bismarck?

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 9:36 PM, Little Tex said:

I think you are missing non-palms I think some flowers, shrubs, hedges, tall grasses, Trees, maybe plant some saplings, Live oaks, Citrus, I think there is more to a landscape then palms,(even though there my favorites). Defintley  

In a small backyard like that? You plant a Live oak, your yard is a Live oak. Dead grass, some ugly native shrubs, maybe a Cycas revoluta? Sorry I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I got extremely  tired of that look living in Houston for 30+ years.

Thanks everyone! I pretty much got all of what you fine folks suggested above and then some! 

photos/videos soon…here’s a teaser of my stockpile in night vision. Lol. 

A93EE231-2810-4E62-9FB4-86E2879807B1.jpeg

47E132F9-0144-451A-83FD-461567539093.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, palmfriend said:

It looks great already! Maybe some differently colored Croton plants - very tropical but can take some cooler temps as well.

c001.thumb.jpg.6a383b7828eab927eef803981c66c116.jpg

c002.thumb.jpg.552c6bab1669320415d6e9e600ca3351.jpgc003.thumb.jpg.dbc2e4ef04c0136d7317b12c7257fe8c.jpg

c004.thumb.jpg.cabf6059b96a28b11f90f9608f252072.jpg

There are countless different variations/species in the Croton genus - I think they would add a nice contrast to your white fence...

Lars

Are these your crotons? What is your secret? I can grow gold dust crotons very well (somehow they always survive hard freezes for me?!?) but my croton mammy always die…perhaps just random occurrence but do they have different needs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy said:

You know what would look cool in your garden is Aechmea blanchetiana! If you don't already have some you might want to see if you can find some in a local nursery to put in the full sun areas around the pool deck. You buy one and they pup like crazy and you end up with a bunch to spread around the garden and give to friends. 

2 years ago there was three, they make a couple pups a years, get huge, and the mom doesn’t seem to die back really.   They look best in full sun (10+ hrs per day) and get bright, bright orange if they get a lot of sun.  Even a little shade and they start to get green, and turn full green in the shade.   Just vertical afternoon shade makes these a little green.   
B08355A3-4CDB-4309-9580-0F2B30135B54.thumb.jpeg.692835425f9e1a7c205ed8c17ed02e7e.jpeg

I’ve found the Crotons like really rich acidic soil, which means tons of peat and manure and fertilizer in the hole at my sandy place…. and they take off.  I’ve got some common ones (Petra, Pie Crust, King of Siam, Magnificent, Banana?, Mammy).  They seem to need a lot of water for the first year, especially the wide, flat leaved ones in summer, then they get a little less needy after a year in the ground.  
63D9D31A-4771-4D55-B1D1-0BF340B99A4A.thumb.jpeg.ac77199585ea544c9cc3f501f3a6da54.jpeg15DC6943-595C-4FAE-AFAA-FBC8E151B0BF.thumb.jpeg.a604320db8c27ff27b80f9a283f04c4d.jpegEB59C7F1-A20A-4A50-813D-D212AF336924.thumb.jpeg.5fe125d35f6c23f10542912c84cd7d70.jpeg8AB5A2F6-A6F7-4835-82EA-A3F6C2FA8F93.thumb.jpeg.e1c1428306a43906d4af7e333d46cb98.jpeg072DC51D-0CC3-49F8-922E-953FEDFDABE3.thumb.jpeg.25a4bf2a09d7c0128dbf2888eb80331e.jpeg

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 5

Here’s a look at the pocket I planted today. 

I still have a good amount of stockpile left to finish it out around the paver deck once they do the final plaster. Didn’t want any of my stuff crushed by the pump hose!

51EF1C21-1869-49F8-8ABC-C5B7A94ED218.jpeg

6135950A-7098-4A72-BEB6-5413DD783AA8.jpeg

D2CE4A4B-7605-4A93-93C1-EC9CB3E26B49.jpeg

E9466A41-B023-4F7C-A165-3BDA8C3B480F.jpeg

9B78C29F-8BBD-4D2B-BECF-202FD6F39387.jpeg

E3A79E7B-A1EF-4E2C-9F31-FC36E3D04C9D.jpeg

289DB42C-EE8E-486F-9D15-DD83459F65A9.jpeg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Billy said:

Looks like a little B. Alfredii grove in the back? Those will be killer when they fill in and have a nice full crown of fronds. 

No, unfortunately I am a glutton for punishment and they’re just cocos nucifera, various types…and a few damaged royals just regrowing from freeze. 

Have a better 360 degree heating setup for that area next freeze…

• Like 1

@NickJames holy cow, what a storm trooper!

Love all of it so far. Very nice layout.

Royals are a bit borderline . . . maybe try to lay hands on some borenquenia and/or princeps? They're supposed to be hardier to the cold than regias, at least a bit.

Be warned that the Mule next to your driveway will become a hulking monster, big enough to park a car under, though the fruits may become a bit of a nuisance. Cold won't be a problem, though.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

View at night. This is just from the light coming out the house windows…once the irrigation is in, I’ll be running the wiring for the actual landscape lighting 

07334515-1320-4562-922C-19670A4170F0.jpeg

B2E8D3FD-B86B-4E9E-B7BF-80C67C3F9EE0.jpeg

0916AF97-D4B5-4A55-9D3E-ACDD7B93DE56.jpeg

995CAF2D-6A8E-4E82-A03C-35335DE4A3B5.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pool almost done filling. Irrigation is in! So happy to not have to hand water daily for two hours. 

54F95514-C034-4F8B-AF40-0771D97475EC.jpeg

• Like 3

On 5/15/2022 at 11:07 AM, NickJames said:

Pool almost done filling. Irrigation is in! So happy to not have to hand water daily for two hours. 

54F95514-C034-4F8B-AF40-0771D97475EC.jpeg

EDIT: I was looking at the palms in the photos while typing and freudian slipped 'Livistona nitida'.... lol

How about a big ass Livistona nitida Jubaea x Syagrus in that bare spot above and to the left of the pool in this photo?

You could get a strap leaf one now and have a monster in like four years.

Edited by ahosey01

1 hour ago, ahosey01 said:

EDIT: I was looking at the palms in the photos while typing and freudian slipped 'Livistona nitida'.... lol

How about a big ass Livistona nitida Jubaea x Syagrus in that bare spot above and to the left of the pool in this photo?

You could get a strap leaf one now and have a monster in like four years.

I just put Icon Zoysia sod there …needed a little area for my dogs at least. But otherwise, YES. Lol. 

Just now, NickJames said:

I just put Icon Zoysia sod there …needed a little area for my dogs at least. But otherwise, YES. Lol. 

9351A681-18D0-4F80-A0FC-D619351AD130.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 5:04 PM, NickJames said:

Here are my new Livistona nitidas palms. 

Will be planted tomorrow. 

Any advice? Should I amend the holes with compost etc. like usual or is the cassia fine sand okay?

970CF48E-6C8C-471F-BAFF-7552B8F0DBE9.jpeg

Hello!

Did you choose Livistonia Nitida for any special reason?

On 5/22/2022 at 4:40 AM, Peachs said:

Hello!

Did you choose Livistonia Nitida for any special reason?

So in total I now have 4 Livistona nitida and 3 Livistona Rigida on my property. 

I chose them for a few reasons:

-My local source had amazing inventory and amazing prices - I got them at wholesale for not much more than similar looking palms (Washingtonia, sabal, etc)

-They are cold tolerant and therefore not likely to need replacement or show damage in a highly visible. 

-They are not commonly used (yet) in my area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NickJames said:

So in total I now have 4 Livistona nitida and 3 Livistona Rigida on my property. 

-My local source had amazing inventory and amazing prices - I got them at wholesale for not much more than similar looking palms (Washingtonia, sabal, etc)

-They are cold tolerant and therefore not likely to need replacement or show damage in a highly visible. 

They also grow like rocket ships and I believe they're resistant to lethal bronzing.  Would need a Florida or Texas PTer to confirm that for me.

Edited by ahosey01
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NickJames said:

Especially for the last reason, I bought one recently. I also think they have a similar growth speed to washingtonia robusta but with a higher resistance to cold. Livistona nitida needs more water.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Peachs said:

Especially for the last reason, I bought one recently. I also think they have a similar growth speed to washingtonia robusta but with a higher resistance to cold. Livistona nitida needs more water.

Mine will get plenty of water as they are now fed by both dual bubblers and spray heads. I have straight up sand in my yard so it’s impossible to overwater. I literally can’t hold water in my yard for the life of me. 

8 hours ago, NickJames said:

Mine will get plenty of water as they are now fed by both dual bubblers and spray heads. I have straight up sand in my yard so it’s impossible to overwater. I literally can’t hold water in my yard for the life of me. 

That's good! What is the lowest temperature in your area? I don't know why, but in my area they are also very cheap.

46 minutes ago, Peachs said:

That's good! What is the lowest temperature in your area? I don't know why, but in my area they are also very cheap.

This past winter was pretty bad here; got down to 26. My royals completely defoliated but have come back. My coconut and adonidia were heated so hard to estimate what their true damage would’ve been. All of this was newly planted. 

Bismarck and queens unfazed. Even my single trunk Phoenix robellini (probably slightly hybridized) was unfazed. I briefly considered royals around the pool but ultimately wanted a safe bet because it is now impossible to bring back heavy equipment behind or to right side of pool. 

On 4/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, NickJames said:

Are these your crotons? What is your secret? I can grow gold dust crotons very well (somehow they always survive hard freezes for me?!?) but my croton mammy always die…perhaps just random occurrence but do they have different needs?

Nick,

completely missed the reply and questions, I am sorry! 

Yep, those crotons are mine - but to be honest, they are nothing special over here. You will find a zillion on public roads while just driving around. But they are cute/beautiful with their

different leaves and colors. I have never seen any cold damages on them so I guess it is the higher winter low we have that prevents them from being damaged. Looking at the

great images you are posting I had no idea how chilly it might get sometimes at your place in the winter. However, please keep up the good work, I always enjoy following your threads.

Lars

• Like 1

Looking good. These are becoming more and more common in new developments here in northeast Florida. I see them lining entrances to a lot of them now. Guessing these are cheaper than sylvester... Or maybe more bulletproof and less susceptible to disease before they can finish developments?...

Also, looks like you finished before me lol. Still haven't gotten to put my lighting in yet.  

• Like 1

Jacksonville Beach, FL

Zone 9a

On 6/2/2022 at 8:14 AM, EPaul said:

@NickJames Looking good! I'm not too far from you, where did you purchase those Livistona Nitidas?

I got them from Black Hammock, not too far from you. They don’t do delivery or install as they disbanded their retail business.

I had a nearby vendor pick them up for me and install them. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 1:46 AM, NickJames said:

This past winter was pretty bad here; got down to 26. My royals completely defoliated but have come back. My coconut and adonidia were heated so hard to estimate what their true damage would’ve been. All of this was newly planted. 

Cocos & Adonidia would have been killed at 26, especially with frost.  They need to be under taller evergreen canopy to survive long term.  

Nitida doesn't like sand, but starting with trunked plants, they have a better chance of adapting.  I planted mine in 3 gallon pots, and they've hardly grown since then.

For my pure sand yard in 10A southern FL, Livistona mariae has grown fastest & thrives.  Next is decora, lanuguinosa, and meulleri.  Others have stunted: australis, nitida, drudei, benthamii, & saribus, still 3 or 4' overall after many years in the ground.  They need better soil, organic and moist.  

I have a decora x saribus hybrid that came from Bent Tree nursery in Homestead that started as a 3 gallon 17 years ago and is HUGE now.  I can barely reach the lowest fronds with a 16' pole trimmer.  Has a big crown too.  Also have a couple chinensis x mariae hybrids that are growing well in sand; not as tall as the pure mariae, but healthy and FAR better than my stunted Livistona species.  

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 7:47 AM, Blueman said:

Nitida doesn't like sand, but starting with trunked plants, they have a better chance of adapting.  I planted mine in 3 gallon pots, and they've hardly grown since then.

For my pure sand yard in 10A southern FL, Livistona mariae has grown fastest & thrives.  Next is decora, lanuguinosa, and meulleri.  Others have stunted: australis, nitida, drudei, benthamii, & saribus, still 3 or 4' overall after many years in the ground.  They need better soil, organic and moist.  

I have a decora x saribus hybrid that came from Bent Tree nursery in Homestead that started as a 3 gallon 17 years ago and is HUGE now.  I can barely reach the lowest fronds with a 16' pole trimmer.  Has a big crown too.  Also have a couple chinensis x mariae hybrids that are growing well in sand; not as tall as the pure mariae, but healthy and FAR better than my stunted Livistona species.  

I amended the area with compost and other organics prior to planting anything around the pool. Instead of having the pool company backfill with material, I built it up with my own material. All of my plants are thriving hopefully because of this. I’m hoping over time all this organic material works into the space. 

All of the palms have dedicated dual bubblers plus are soaked with spray heads. I can’t imagine the volume of water they get but I imagine it’s substantial. Since having my sprinkler system installed I no longer have that dry beach sand look when digging; instead, it’s a grayer, wetter color which is hopefully a sign of good soil moisture. 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 12:50 PM, NickJames said:

Thanks. I back filled with a mix of organics and sand to accommodate for this. I fill the entire basin to the brim. My hope is that as it percolates down, it will retain somewhat within the organic layers. I will probably applying more organic material within the basin itself. The one closest to house will be rocked (I don’t like mulch right up against the foundation even though it’s CBC) so my best bet is probably continuing to amend with organic. 

Good idea.  There are Livistona species in my yard that are stunted and have hardly grown in years from their 3-gallon size, nitida being one of them.  My 'soil' is like beach sand, even though I'm inland.  

BTW, great job on the plantings.  

• Like 1