IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My New Livistona Nitidas

NickJames

Here are my new Livistona nitidas palms. 

Will be planted tomorrow. 

Any advice? Should I amend the holes with compost etc. like usual or is the cassia fine sand okay?

970CF48E-6C8C-471F-BAFF-7552B8F0DBE9.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Upvote 1

Sorry. I have no comment regarding soil requirements. However, these are very nice palms and probably more so once the fronds are allowed to open.

My experience is the livistonas dont seem to be fussy about florida sand, I only have one nitida though most of mine are decora, saribus, and chiniensis.

• Like 2

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

2 hours ago, NickJames said:

Wow! So cool looking. I’m over digging big holes though. :floor2:

-dale

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billeb said:

Wow! So cool looking. I’m over digging big holes though. :floor2:

-dale

I honestly don’t mind digging holes. Kind of enjoy it actually. I must be sick and twisted lol. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NickJames said:

Nice!

I was told to keep the fronds tied up for 4 weeks. Sound appropriate?

I'd leave it at least 2 weeks just to protect the fronds until the threat of "severe" cold passes.

• Like 1

I like the staggered planting, rather than formally flanking the entrance. It allows for interesting plantings in the future. 

• Like 3

What were the two palms in the background of the first image,  Phoenix ??

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

13 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

What were the two palms in the background of the first image,  Phoenix ??

The other palms you see in ground are a mule palm and p. Robellini and in the photo near the robellini is a potted ravenea rivularis

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 8:04 AM, NickJames said:

Any advice? Should I amend the holes with compost etc. like usual or is the cassia fine sand okay?

Looks like Sylvesters in the back ground @Darold Petty

Great Job Nick,

may I ask your weather there ? is it get that cold I cant see any other palms and only the cold hardy one? sorry I am not familiar with FL weather, never been there unfortunately ...

14 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Great Job Nick,

may I ask your weather there ? is it get that cold I cant see any other palms and only the cold hardy one? sorry I am not familiar with FL weather, never been there unfortunately ...

Hi,

Yes, it gets cold here. Until this season, I would’ve said I was pushing 10A…but I’m firmly in the 9B USDA growing zone. Some years we get nothing, other years we can have a freeze or too and frost. 

I take extreme measures to protect my less-hardy palms such as using propane heaters. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the weather has warmed, I’m noticing some yellowing on my new palms, particularly the one closest to house. Does it look okay? I’m watering daily of course…

103A41F6-5264-4C3E-AAC6-E237D57E688E.jpeg

A30CA7D7-667C-41BF-BE47-85714E1A0599.jpeg

My livingstonia gets yellowing like that but it should be fine so long as its pushing new leaves

Lucas

I'd guess it is transportation damage, either from wind or from being tied up.  It's impossible not to break a few leaflets.  My Chinensis all get a few yellowed older leaves in winter, despite being totally cold-hardy for my borderline 9b/9a area.  I saw yellowed fronds from 28F and frost last year, and Chinensis is known to take 20F with only minor damage.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 10:56 AM, NickJames said:

Nice!

I was told to keep the fronds tied up for 4 weeks. Sound appropriate?

The only reason I can think of for keeping them tied an extra 4 weeks is to keep the trees from leaning off plumb in strong winds.

They may be planted perfectly vertical but are basically standing on ball pivots with rootballs cut that small.

Tying the fronds is the equivalent of closing a patio umbrella in heavy winds. Four weeks gives the roots a chance to take hold. 

• Like 2

These look like they have been cut back alot already to prevent losses from the cutting of all the roots.  They may take a couple years to fill out the way they were before digging/trimming.  I see you have the grey florida sand I have.  I would work in some organic material in the top 4" 2' out from the edge of the hole and put down 3" mulch right away to keep the roots moist longer between waterings.   Right now that palm needs to grow some roots and that doesn't happen in dryish soil.  That sand dries out in a hurry with no topping.  I have livistona chinensis, saribus, decora, all are among the easier palms to grow here.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Boy those look nice, congrats and good luck, should be a great long term choice

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

These look like they have been cut back alot already to prevent losses from the cutting of all the roots.  They may take a couple years to fill out the way they were before digging/trimming.  I see you have the grey florida sand I have.  I would work in some organic material in the top 4" 2' out from the edge of the hole and put down 3" mulch right away to keep the roots moist longer between waterings.   Right now that palm needs to grow some roots and that doesn't happen in dryish soil.  That sand dries out in a hurry with no topping.  I have livistona chinensis, saribus, decora, all are among the easier palms to grow here.

Thanks. I back filled with a mix of organics and sand to accommodate for this. I fill the entire basin to the brim. My hope is that as it percolates down, it will retain somewhat within the organic layers. I will probably applying more organic material within the basin itself. The one closest to house will be rocked (I don’t like mulch right up against the foundation even though it’s CBC) so my best bet is probably continuing to amend with organic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

And the one farthest from house will be mulched with mini pine bark :) 

And one final comment...the rootball is contained within some kind of black lake Jesup mud. That also will hopefully help. I washed a lot of it into hole when I was getting out the air pockets. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 1:55 PM, NickJames said:

Finally “unwrapped” my presents :D 

6F2839FA-838A-4D7F-875D-7699F2285634.jpeg

0A6BDBA4-1EC7-4BE4-92C4-A88D129B36DA.jpeg

That complimented the house really well. Cant beat that diamond cut trunk. 

I see you moved I remember you had a very impressive garden at your last place. You got a link for how it all turned out before you moved? Also you still have a youtube channel? 

5 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

That complimented the house really well. Cant beat that diamond cut trunk. 

I see you moved I remember you had a very impressive garden at your last place. You got a link for how it all turned out before you moved? Also you still have a youtube channel? 

Yes. Every year I get a new iPhone I forget the password so keep making new channels LOL. 

Unfortunately, my last house appears to have been mostly wiped out by both the new owner’s landscaping crew and the recent hard freeze over there….

here’s the last house listing with pics: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/167-Azure-Ct_Daytona-Beach_FL_32124_M51599-12473

Here’s a recent video from my new house following the severe hard freeze: https://youtu.be/awEN3vOl2PA

On 3/7/2022 at 4:55 AM, NickJames said:

Finally “unwrapped” my presents :D 

6F2839FA-838A-4D7F-875D-7699F2285634.jpeg

0A6BDBA4-1EC7-4BE4-92C4-A88D129B36DA.jpeg

Wow, that looks nice! Again a great choice of palms!

I already enjoyed the documentation of your previous house but this one gets very promising, too!  

Thank you for posting -

Lars

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting these Livistona Rigida installed tomorrow around my pool. 

Pic below from today after the farm pulled them out. They’re going to have the petioles sawed in the AM in that pattern I see often on Livistona around here. Not diamond cut like my others…I call it the step look!? 

also a video of the holes I am digging for them around the pool :) 

82978850-C577-4326-970E-CD95EFBE9A41.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

That's one helluva Livistona forest you're building there!  :D Now you just need a couple of B. Alfredii to mix in with all the fans!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

That's one helluva Livistona forest you're building there!  :D Now you just need a couple of B. Alfredii to mix in with all the fans!

I basically decided to just copy my old office ;) 

once they level the rest of backyard that they compacted, I can start looking at alfredii spots :yay:

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been off-and-on interested in the other Livistonas like Nitida, Rigida, and Decora/Decipiens/Ribbon.  I saw a whole bunch on I-4 near 408 that looked like tall Decora.  The "fingers" looked a lot like a weeping willow, kinda neat in the breeze!

What am I missing for the landscaping around the pool? Not married to the current arrangement, just laid out my inventory to figure all I had so far.