IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Honey Creek State Natural Area, Texas

GoatLockerGuns

Pictures of Sabal minor growing in habitat at Honey Creek State Natural Area, Texas (approximate GPS coordinates: 29.859131138720375, -98.48455621328327).  These were taken on January 29, 2022.  There are some other specimens growing along the river at the adjacent Guadalupe River State Park; however, they are not as prevalent, or grow as large there.  These Sabal minor were observed growing in three distinct environments: 1. Along the creek side and close to water; 2. Along and on top of the rocky hillside/cliffs; and 3. Out in the open in the Live Oak savanna.

DSC_1199 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1200 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1173 copy 2@0.3x.png

DSC_1204 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1203 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1202 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1205 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1198 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1193 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1192 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1185 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1216 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1214 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1213 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1211 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1208 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1207 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1206 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1249 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1246 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1248 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1239 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1229-Pano copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1226 copy@0.3x.png

DSC_1228 copy@0.3x.png

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

:greenthumb: Great shots..

Bet that place is quite a sight in spring once the Taxodium, and grassy  understory  is green / Water Lilies are flowering..

7 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Bet that place is quite a sight in spring once the Taxodium, and grassy  understory  is green / Water Lilies are flowering..

Concur.  The Taxodium distichum leaves usually stay on the trees until mid to late December in this part of Texas.  The banks of many creeks/rivers in the Hill Country are lined with them (at least the ones that contain year round water flows).  The large ones are great top cover and shade producers for under-story plants.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

• 3 weeks later...

Great photos!!  Taxodium along the creek and Ulmus crassiafolia farther away with spanish moss?

Did you see any trunk forming sabals?  Any reason to think some might be mexicana or palmetto?

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

47 minutes ago, Austinpalm said:

Taxodium along the creek and Ulmus crassiafolia farther away with spanish moss?

There is definitely Ulmus crassiafolia there.  Not sure if I got any specific pictures of it (I was focused mainly on the Sabal minor).  For those reading that are unfamiliar with this area, Ulmus crassiafolia (Ulmus is the "Elm" genus) is also known as Cedar Elm (an elm tree whose vernacular name is presumably attributed to its growth habitat in close proximity with Juniperus ashei, also known as Mountain Cedar or Ash Juniper).  Together with Quercus fusiformis (Plateu Live Oak), Quercus virginiana (Southern Live Oak) and/or some hybridization of Quercus fusiformis x virginiana; these make up the core of the Texas Hill Country forests (obviously there are other trees; just too many to name, and these are the superstars).

47 minutes ago, Austinpalm said:

Did you see any trunk forming sabals?  Any reason to think some might be mexicana or palmetto?

None.  And have not seen any at nearby Guadalupe River State Park either.  I am pretty sure these are all Sabal minor; namely, due to the weak costapalmate appearance of the fronds, the tight grouping of the crowns, and the fact that many had inflorescence (or indications of recent inflorescence).  I do not believe Sabal mexicana or Sabal palmetto would produce inflorescence at this size (basically, juvenile size for both those species).

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

Great photos!!  Taxodium along the creek and Ulmus crassiafolia farther away with spanish moss?

7 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

There is definitely Ulmus crassiafolia there.  Not sure if I got any specific pictures of it (I was focused mainly on the Sabal minor).  For those reading that are unfamiliar with this area, Ulmus crassiafolia (Ulmus is the "Elm" genus) is also known as Cedar Elm (an elm tree whose vernacular name is presumably attributed to its growth habitat in close proximity with Juniperus ashei, also known as Mountain Cedar or Ash Juniper).  Together with Quercus fusiformis (Plateu Live Oak), Quercus virginiana (Southern Live Oak) and/or some hybridization of Quercus fusiformis x virginiana; these make up the core of the Texas Hill Country forests (obviously there are other trees; just too many to name, and these are the superstars).

None.  And have not seen any at nearby Guadalupe River State Park either.  I am pretty sure these are all Sabal minor; namely, due to the weak costapalmate appearance of the fronds, the tight grouping of the crowns, and the fact that many had inflorescence (or indications of recent inflorescence).  I do not believe Sabal mexicana or Sabal palmetto would produce inflorescence at this size (basically, juvenile size for both those species).

I live about 10 miles away and have not come across any naturalized palms in the area, but this may change as the areas upstream are developed. There are Sabal minor growing in the region that could be natural or feral. 

Edited by amh

22 hours ago, amh said:

There are Sabal minor growing in the region that could be natural or feral. 

Edited 22 hours ago by amh

There definitely Sabal minor growing at Honey Creek....also at Guadalupe River State Park...the ones in the main "recreation" area may or may not have been planted as ornamentals at some time in the past...the ones further up along the banks of the Guadalupe (i.e., along the less accessible and utilized "fishermans" trail were definitely naturalized).  Whether this the western extent of the natural habitat of Sabal minor...I do not believe that is settled.  Supposedly, the Sabal minor growing in abundance at Palmetto State Park to the Southeast are growing within their natural habitat, or at least a "pocket" natural habitat.

25 minutes ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

There definitely Sabal minor growing at Honey Creek....also at Guadalupe River State Park...the ones in the main "recreation" area may or may not have been planted as ornamentals at some time in the past...the ones further up along the banks of the Guadalupe (i.e., along the less accessible and utilized "fishermans" trail were definitely naturalized).  Whether this the western extent of the natural habitat of Sabal minor...I do not believe that is settled.  Supposedly, the Sabal minor growing in abundance at Palmetto State Park to the Southeast are growing within their natural habitat, or at least a "pocket" natural habitat.

By naturalized I was referring to Sabal palmetto and Sabal mexicana.

The western extant is hard to determine because the area has been extremely overgrazed and the more recent development along the Guadalupe river and its tributaries, has destroyed a lot of natural habitat. There are populations along Joshua creek and around the various towns leading up to Kerrville, so it makes since that Sabal minor would naturally be growing in central and western Comal county.

• Like 1