IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms of Brookings Oregon

Hutch

Here are some palms I found near where I'm staying...i will take a bunch more photos tomarrow headed to the beach..

0205221521.jpg

0205221516a_HDR.jpg

0205221516_HDR.jpg

0205221515a_HDR.jpg

0205221515_HDR.jpg

0205221514.jpg

• Like 17

29 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I've been thru Brookings numerous times, but not since the 90's. :)

I've visited Brookings many times since the 1970's,   lots more exotic plants there now than in the past decades.   Besides the mild coastal climate, they have the Chetco river effect, where hot inland air sometimes flows out the river valley from inland, and heats up the center of Brookings far warmer than the rest of the coast.  When I was there 2 summers ago,  we traveled from our condo 2 miles north of town (where it was 70F),   and got to downtown Brookings where it was 101F.   That was the only day it got hot like that, out of the 10 days we were there, but it happens occasionally.   But the big thing is it never freezes on the coast, so zone 9-10 conditions, allowing a lot of plants to grow there that would die inland.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Trustandi said:

Wow.. amazing it looks like Northern CA.

Brookings is like 7 miles from CA so it pretty much is.   Haven't been down that way since I rode my motorcycle down the coast in 2012.  

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Hutch. I’ve only been there the one time but didn’t see those Jubaeas. 

Hoping you find some more gems. 

• Like 1

I will be looking tomarrow for the rare....keep  all of you  posted....i could not believe how many plants are in bloom down here ...there already in spring...

• Like 1

Hutch, When I see a short Jubaea Chilensis I think of a potential pollen source. Very nice !  Brookings  is perched between the forest and the sea in a banana belt zone , in the Lea of predominate Northwest winds. It is unique IMO that far north. 

3 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Brookings is like 7 miles from CA so it pretty much is.   Haven't been down that way since I rode my motorcycle down the coast in 2012.  

And it has consistently better weather than much of the adjacent No. Calif. coast (Crescent City in Calif. is gloomier/foggier/colder almost any time of year). 

• Like 3

Cool! Phoenix roebelenii  too. Great pics.:) About as close to being in California without being there.

Edited by Las Palmas Norte
  • Like 1

Any idea what that last tree is with all the red flowers?

I have no idea me and my wife ..were just perplexed..its berries not blooms ...but seriously I'm just not sure...looks epic!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chester B said:

@Silas_Sancona can you take a stab at what that red flowering tree is??

Brookings, Oregon zone 9b

Think those are berries.. but tough to say for sure from that distance.. ( any closer ups Hutch? ) If berries, could be one of the  Pyracantha sp. ( Firethorn ), or maybe some sp. of Crataegus ( Hawthorn )

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 3:42 PM, Chester B said:

Any idea what that last tree is with all the red flowers?

Camillia sp. perhaps. Oops. that's the other pink one above.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:42 PM, Hutch said:

Yes ...its been really nice down here 65 to 70 day around 50 at night...

That weather has moved up the coast and we're getting it today. It's expected to stay nice for a stretch. Beautiful tree ferns in your last pics @Hutch B)

I try to admit my downfalls when I can. One that I’ve realized since joining PT is my lack of regional geographic/ climate knowledge. I grew up in upstate New York, live in Tennessee and travelled a bunch when I was in the army. Just never lived or spent much time west of the Mississippi. I swear I’ve learned more about different parts of the U.S., Europe, and Australia in the past year than I ever did before. 
Brookings is one of those places, to me that just makes me smile. When I picture Oregon in my mind, it doesn’t look like that lol! Awesome, thank you 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, teddytn said:

I try to admit my downfalls when I can. One that I’ve realized since joining PT is my lack of regional geographic/ climate knowledge. I grew up in upstate New York, live in Tennessee and travelled a bunch when I was in the army. Just never lived or spent much time west of the Mississippi. I swear I’ve learned more about different parts of the U.S., Europe, and Australia in the past year than I ever did before. 
Brookings is one of those places, to me that just makes me smile. When I picture Oregon in my mind, it doesn’t look like that lol! Awesome, thank you 

Oregon is one of the most diverse states by landscape for sure.  Rainforests, beaches, grasslands, high desert, all sorts of mountain climates and even salt flats.

Its in the 70s in Brookings with their subtropical plants and over 10 feet of snow and freezing up on Mt Hood right now.

Picture I stole of the Alvord desert.

The Alvord Desert | Southeastern Oregon Desert

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, teddytn said:

Drive the entire west coast sometime. Put that on your bucket list.

• Like 3

My mother is just on a trip to the Oregon Coast so I've asked her to take photos of the Archontophoenix and Syagrus on Wharf Street in Brookings, here they are!  They've come a long way.  Incredible, looks like southern California when there is an Archontophoenix in the sky.

75e97d07-cd0b-459d-90bc-6ed0041f46a9.thumb.JPG.282ebd700f2f793174ddb26f5d6a616f.JPG

c50e0312-7508-4d02-96e8-b4d742f48ac7.thumb.JPG.67470d727aeeafc2f73b50e81bb99722.JPG

aeb283f1-9f3a-459d-a39b-931d64f68431.thumb.JPG.7ba16c62b104cae51e80c41d8813eb43.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

On 2/6/2022 at 5:25 AM, MarkbVet said:

And it has consistently better weather than much of the adjacent No. Calif. coast (Crescent City in Calif. is gloomier/foggier/colder almost any time of year). 

I definitely agree, I've lived in Arcata and it is certainly a bit gloomier and cooler!  Also the weather station in Eureka records the coldest average summer temperatures of any low-elevation place in the 48 states, excepting a few outlying capes on the Oregon and Washington coasts.  Average high in the warmest month is only 64ºF I think.

• Like 2

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Wow....i missed those dang....i just got back today...just incredible weather the last couple of days down there...was 85 yesterday and was 80 when I left today...

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Wow very cool. Not exactly Brookings, I’m a little further north in Lakeside, Oregon but some good stuff here if you look. 

Two Washies on South Tenmile Lake, most of the palms you see on the lake are Trachys plus a ton of Cordylines.

BE3DB622-E3CE-4B65-AA09-88FE302AE6FD.png

E0E3180E-35AB-417F-B8CC-F3B9DC91EBF7.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zach K said:

I have never even heard of this community. I need to check it out! 

I saw a Yucca gigantea in town as well. Small town on the lake with a few shops and restaurants. It’s just on the edge of the dunes about 15 minutes north of North Bend/Coos Bay. There’s a big CIDP in North Bend across from a park. Saw some decent sized Washies there too. 

I’m surprised at the palms that grow there but even more surprised at the summer temps there. I never realized somewhere in the USA has high temps in the 60’s in the middle of the summer time. 

• Like 1

If you could score a pic of the big CIDP across from that park, that would be much appreciated! 

25 minutes ago, Zach K said:

If you could score a pic of the big CIDP across from that park, that would be much appreciated! 

I'm already back home, didn't have a chance to swing by to take a look but here is a video I shot last summer.

• Like 1

"One of the most northern Canary Island Date Palms in North America."

A CIDP in Tofino (Vancouver Island) BC, Canada. This one might likely might be. 

CIDP Tofino

• Like 2

What zone is Brookings.  From the looks of it, I would say a zone 9, probably a borderline 9a/b, but that's just a guess.  Too lazy to look up right now.

30 minutes ago, NBTX11 said:

What zone is Brookings.  From the looks of it, I would say a zone 9, probably a borderline 9a/b, but that's just a guess.  Too lazy to look up right now.

9b/10a for Brookings.

All of the Oregon coast is zone 9, the northern half is zone 9a, and the southern half is zone 9b.  Brookings or just south has a few pockets of 10.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, NBTX11 said:

image.png.4e6ce16ce530943576857f208fea8a45.png

• Like 1

Lucas

29 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

image.png.4e6ce16ce530943576857f208fea8a45.png

Lime trees more than 10 years old are growing adjacent to the shoreline south of Brookings which in my opinion is 10a, because lime trees are damaged at the slightest frost and die if temperatures stay below freezing many hours depending on size of the tree.

• Like 1

The only reason I said zone 9 is because we don’t see towering Washingtonias which led me to believe it wasn’t near a zone 10. They can be killed off in a zone 9 every 25-30 years. If it was a true zone 10 there should be very tall Washingtonia. Or is that a function of the cool climate.