IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Root-pruning Chamaerops humilis?

SeasideRooftop

Hi everyone,

I have a small c. humilis that had been growing in a 18 liter ( about 4.7 gallon) pot. I recently repotted it to a 42 liter pot (11 gallon) because he was starting to push up out of his pot.

When I did this I saw the roots had become much bigger than I thought at the bottom and were starting to circle around on the sides. Sorry I didn't take any pics during the process to show you. I am attaching a before and after.

At this rate, I suppose I will need to repot it again next year. I could go up to about 60 liters but that will be it. I am surprised, I thought c.humilis were slow-growing, I didn't expect root development like this. I am in Malta (zone 11) so perhaps he just really likes it here.

I am gardening on my rooftop and I can't just keep getting bigger pots, it will get too heavy. I don't have anywhere to plant him in the ground.

I considered root-pruning, but I heard the roots of c. humilis are sensitive, so I didn't do it during the repotting process. It would be a big advantage if I could root prune in the future though.

Is it safe to root-prune chamaerops humilis?

GridArt_20220128_094639431~2.jpg

Edited by SeasideRooftop

Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)

Since Chamaerops is known to tolerate digging and transplanting, which damages roots, I would assume that some, judicious root pruning would OK. 

This is a common technique for bonsai specimens. 

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Thank you @Darold Petty

It would be great to be able to root prune next year. 

Ideally I would like to remove about a third of the rootball next time, or maybe a little more.

In Bonsai, yes, root pruning can be even more agressive. But I don't know if people are making bonsai with C Humilis.  I obviously don't want to kill it!

Does anyone here grow C.Humilis?

20 hours ago, SeasideRooftop said:

Thank you @Darold Petty

It would be great to be able to root prune next year. 

Ideally I would like to remove about a third of the rootball next time, or maybe a little more.

In Bonsai, yes, root pruning can be even more agressive. But I don't know if people are making bonsai with C Humilis.  I obviously don't want to kill it!

Does anyone here grow C.Humilis?

Darold is right.  In fact check out this thread from 2016 where a member from Germany shows his bonsai efforts with Chamaerops humilis.  I grow both the standard green and the blue var. argentea.  Very tough palms easy to dig and move.  I even have a seedling of Chamaerops 'vulcano' which is my favorite form but I don't do the bonsai.  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

Wow, thank you so much @Fusca !!

I hadn't found that thread, this is perfect! If C. Humilis can handle that much root pruning, it will definitely survive what I had in mind.

This is really great news: I will be able to keep him on my roof for years to come. Very happy! Thanks again!