IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea Cataractum

DAVEinMB

Planted this in a protected spot in my 8b garden as an experiment. Well we just had back to back weekends of winter nonsense, freezing rain and 19° then snow and 19°. The first weekend my weather station wasn't working so I can't verify my yard actually saw 19° but the second weekend I can. Today will be 2 weeks since the initial event and here's how it looks. We hit 70 degrees yesterday and today. 

20220204_171412.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

End of March 22 update. The clump lost one shoot and the foliage is showing more burn but all in all I'm very impressed with this little guy.  It received no protection through this winter's events aside from the roof overhang helping to shield it some. 

20220330_164457.jpg

20220330_164502.jpg

• Like 5

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Unprotected at 18.1F. It melted. New spot for a new palm in spring!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 1/19/2024 at 12:19 PM, JLM said:

I wouldn't give up on it, probably plenty of buds at ground level or just below that will flush new leaves. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 1/19/2024 at 12:19 PM, JLM said:

I agree with Jonathan.  Id give it some time, I had one unprotected at 17 degrees last year that came back, albeit a little slowly.