Lady Gaga

Question about Phoenix canariensis

Lady Gaga

Hi. I germinated Phoenix seeds around 3 years ago, and I have one quite big palm tree from them. But I started to worried, cause last time it doesn't grow at all and even if so, the leaves don't look like typical Phoenix leaves. I mean, they are not so sticky, not so many of them. There are big spaces between the "fingers" of the palm tree. So may question is, is everything OK with my palm tree or maybe this is some different kind of Phoenix? 

IMG_20220204_162628.thumb.jpg.199bac83266cf74d4133e6078cbbadee.jpg

IMG_20220204_162647.thumb.jpg.2c18c164d752c3816cb11f0ff14911e0.jpg

IMG_20220204_162652.thumb.jpg.0e9e5f76433a381384146185bc910e4f.jpg

Edited by Lady Gaga

hbernstein

It's a Phoenix.

Lady Gaga
39 minutes ago, hbernstein said:

It's a Phoenix.

Ok but should it look like that? 

TheMadScientist

I have grown quite a number of CIDP but have never repotted to anything larger than a 5 gallon pot all remaining outside.  I have never brought these indoors, but I have brought a number of Butia Odorata's indoors.  After approx. 5 years,  my indoor Butia's "STRETCH" for the light source coming in from a window or upstairs for the skylight in the ceiling more than twice in height compared to the same seed batch left outside in full sun.  I would suggest the same growth characteristics for the indoor CIDP, spending what energy it has in the fronds reaching for what light it can reach for and NOT generating more fronds.  The following photos are from the same seed batch, originally germinated in early 2011, first photo is early 2014 and the second photo is 2 1/2 years later in 2016.  I am only trying to show you what I have to address this post and answer your question.  Scott

546634636_canarydate1-27-2014.JPG.454e1c111bc1603f44d5442afc415b0d.JPG

722752929_canarydate3-7-2016.thumb.JPG.ca6930775f02fae1026e3554a7b9f058.JPG

oasis371

Long term, I would say they are not good indoor plants, way too prickly and potentially dangerous indoors. I agree with the above poster who says that it is reaching for more light.  These are mine from seed in the pic below. They spend mid December-early March in the garage, then get full, unobstructed, southern exposure, all day.

3E9E10D3-78DF-425B-B138-E1416DA6AC54.thumb.jpeg.464628d221c55367612b3fe0af8b9073.jpeg

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Selgd
      By Selgd
      Hi! I'm new here. I bought a small Phoenix canariensis 3 weeks ago, my intention is to plant it on the ground when it gets bigger. It came in a small plastic nursery pot and I left it there for a week so it could get used to it's new home and then repotted to a bigger terracotta pot. I live in Gijon, north of Spain and our weather is mild, rarely goes below 0°C during winter and is usually 19-23°C during summer, but it rains quite a lot. There are lots of Phoenix canariensis around, in parks, yards... My palm is on the porch, having full sun during the afternoon, and protected from the wind but not the rain. It looked pretty healthy except for some black spots in the base of the outer leaves. Now those leaves are drooping, losing it's bright green color and they have several black spots. Also the tips of the leaves look brownish-white. I watered it with distilled water twice in three weeks because it is raining 3 times a week. It looks like a new leave is in the center and it looks healthy. What is the issue here? What I am missing? Too much water? Too little? Maybe a fungal infection? I'm uploading some pictures. My daughter was born in the Canary Islands and I was really hoping to have this palm for years and watch them grow together. Please help me!

• GoatLockerGuns
      By GoatLockerGuns
      Not really a park associated with palms per se; however, there are some interesting Phoenix sp. stands (probably Phoenix dactylifera) located at the Hot Springs Historic Area of the park along the Rio Grande.  They were probably planted there before it became a National Park (possibly by the homesteader J.O. Langford).  They are located at 29.177583103922945, -102.99869840224089.  These pictures were taken on March 20, 2022.  I spoke to one of the park rangers there about them.  They said that the National Park Service does absolutely nothing to maintain these palm; they are left to their own devices.  There is a hot spring along the Rio Grande nearby.  It is heated by some sort of geothermal process that keeps the water at around 105F (40.5C).

• aztropic
      By aztropic
      Nice example showing remote germination of a date palm seed. Big root systems, before much top growth, is typical

aztropic
      Mesa, Arizona

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      I stumbled across this Phoenix palm recently and noticed it seemed a bit different. For one it was suckering profusely, although I initially thought it was just several small CIDP's planted closely together. However, going back in time on Google street view, I can confirm that it is in fact just the one Phoenix palm, which is clearly suckering.
      The first pictures are from 2015, back when it was quite a bit smaller. Even then it appears to be exhibiting a clumping nature, with quite a few suckers being put out. The owner of the house also appears to be Middle Eastern, which may pay homage to the possibility of it being Dactylifera, as opposed to say Theophrasti or Reclinata. 

Here it is more recently, showing it really suckering profusely now. It is also noticeably a LOT slower growing than traditional CIDP's are in the London area, which would be more than double that size by now, during the 5-6 years between the first two photos and the last two. The fronds also seem a bit 'off' for CIDP as well, with a bluey/silver hint of colour to them, although it could just be the lighting? 

What are your thoughts? Dactylifera? Theophrasti? Hybrid? I suppose it will become more evident in the coming years as it continues to grow bigger. Since I have the location, I can obviously monitor it moving forward. I suspect the jury will be out on it for some time, until it grows bigger. My first thought was CIDP x Dacty hybrid, but I doubt it would sucker to that extent if it was a CIDP hybrid? It's straight up suckering like a Dacty, but I suppose it could still be a hybrid. Very hard to tell at this stage. I suspect other people have spent more time around smaller Dacty specimens than me though, so they may be able to tell, and confirm whether it is or not...? Cheers 
    • AZ_Palm_Guy
      By AZ_Palm_Guy
      Hello everyone,  was wondering if I could have some input from others on what possible nutritional deficiencies my palm may be suffering from. 
      Received this Phoenix Rupicola from jungle music in California. As you can see it has light green and some dark green in the fronds. I was thinking possible nitrogen deficiency since it is light green all over. It also has some white substance on it, not sure if I should be concerned about that.  I have only had this palm for two days now. 
      Any input on possible deficiencies would be appreciated.