Lady Gaga

Germinating temperature

Lady Gaga

Hi. I would like to ask you about one thing. Last time I bought few seeds of archontophoenix alexandrae and livistona Chinensis. I hope they are fresh. I cleaned them, then I put them between wet paper towel and put in the plastic box. The box I put on my heater, also inside I put one thermometer and there is temp. Around 28-30 Celsius degrees. I know such condition is perfect for archontophoenix alexandrae, but what about livistona Chinensis? Unfortunately I couldn't find specific information about this one on the web, so I'm asking you. 

Rickybobby

When I did baggy bottom heat set to 92-95f worked wonders 

GoatLockerGuns

I just germinated some Archontophoenix alexandrae and Livistona chinensis in January.  They were fresh seeds collected over Christmas in Cape Coral and Tampa, Florida.  I used the baggie method.  Cleaned them, soaked them for 2 days, placed them in baggies with damp peat moss, and put them on heat pad set for 95F.  High germination rates in 1 1/2 weeks (Livistona chinensis) and 2 1/2 weeks (Archontophoenix alexandrae), respectively.  The most important variable to ensure germination is fresh seed though.

• Like 1

Lady Gaga

Ok thank you so much, I was worried to put them at 95f cause I've read that they can die at this temp, but ok I'll make it up 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Ernest
      By Ernest
      Hello, 
      For you my new palm is a livistona or a brahea edulis?
      Make the difference is hard for young palm. What is the main detail ?
      Thank you .

• GoatLockerGuns
      By GoatLockerGuns
      I have some extra germinated Archontophoenix cunninghamiana seeds to give away.  Two to three seeds showing germination through the baggie (possibly more to come).  These were personally sourced from a palm growing in Fort Meyers, Florida over Christmas.  I am willing to ship for free to the lower 48; just agree to give them a good home.  PM me if interested (first come, first serve).

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      Here's a very recent photo of the palm:
      I was thinking it was one of these 3: Livistona australis, Livistona mariae, Livistona muelleri

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Gymnocalycium has become one of my favorite cactus genera. These species have grown well for me in my sweltering FL climate under a canopy structure where they aren't inundated during rainy season. And they cope with the FL winter dry season better than most cacti. I am growing them in 1/8" diameter pumice and a number of them have flowered and set pods of seeds. From a Youtube video I learned how to harvest, clean and dry these seeds. Today I harvested my seeds. But the Aussie narrator of the video did not show how he mixed his germinating medium or what was in it. His accent was so heavy I could understand little of what he said, except the word, "vermiculite".
      Can cactus growers here on PT tell me what they use as a germinating medium for cactus seeds? I want to get my seeds going in the next couple weeks. Thanks.
    • Rhub
      By Rhub
      Hey all,
      I ordered a bunch of archo alex seedlings in the mail and potted them all. They are all under artificial light.  Half seem to be doing well and the other half are browning and leaves are getting "crispy" . They are all watered at least once a week. The lights don't heat up and the room is on avg 78 degrees Not sure why half are having issues. Any advice or tips? salvageable or too late? I may need to start over and i want to make sure I get it right if i do.