IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

JohnAndSancho

What you're looking at is a mass of roots that have pushed all the way through a "self watering"/bottom watering pot. This is my queen, my Washy and big Cat palm all look pretty similar.

Obviously I'm gonna have to repot these in spring - how sensitive are the roots in these 3 species? I'm gonna take my time and do my best not to hack them apart, but are any of these particularly sensitive in their roots? 

20220201_170430.jpg

• Upvote 1

Will NOT be an issue, most palms are decent with transplanting. I have NEVER had issues.  The ones that ARE vulnerable are Bismarckia  palms and Sabals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Should be fine, try not to break them though. 

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Now I'm looking for cheap pots lol. Everyone is talking inflation and good lord - the price of plastic pots has skyrocketed since the last time I bought anything. 

On 2/1/2022 at 8:53 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

Now I'm looking for cheap pots lol. Everyone is talking inflation and good lord - the price of plastic pots has skyrocketed since the last time I bought anything. 

The cheapest one at Lowe's in like October 2021 was $9.99, i can only imagine what it is now. Personally, i dont feel like spending $30 on three pots. Luckily i have a rather large stockpile of 2.25 gallon pots just from getting several big box store palms lol

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 2/1/2022 at 8:53 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

Have you considered these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/ROOT-POUCH-10-Pack-15-x-5-Gray-Fabric/5000852153

$16.67 / 10 = $1.67 a piece.  The one in the link is a 3 Gallon (I think)...but they have other sizes as well.

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

8 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

Have you considered these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/ROOT-POUCH-10-Pack-15-x-5-Gray-Fabric/5000852153

$16.67 / 10 = $1.67 a piece.  The one in the link is a 3 Gallon (I think)...but they have other sizes as well.

Def considered them. I am under the impression I'll have to water more due to the "breathability" of a mesh bag vs a plastic pot.  I think @ZPalms is using bags. I do have space/budget concerns though - would going from a 5g pot to a 10g bag be too much? My Washy is in a 7g pot already so I'd like to just find the biggest size and not have to buy 5 packs of various sizes. I live in a studio apartment and my patio is already a jungle when it's warmer. 

And here I am shopping for more grow lights to buy more indoor palms as I'm already broke and paycheck to paycheck :rolleyes:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Def considered them. I am under the impression I'll have to water more due to the "breathability" of a mesh bag vs a plastic pot.  I think @ZPalms is using bags. I do have space/budget concerns though - would going from a 5g pot to a 10g bag be too much? My Washy is in a 7g pot already so I'd like to just find the biggest size and not have to buy 5 packs of various sizes. I live in a studio apartment and my patio is already a jungle when it's warmer. 

And here I am shopping for more grow lights to buy more indoor palms as I'm already broke and paycheck to paycheck :rolleyes:

I do! But I really wish to never use the bags again for seedlings. They are so tough to manage indoors with watering and I always end up making a mess. Also, transplanting palms and plants into the bags is a whole other challenge since the bags are flimsy and moldable, at least the ones I have, but when you try and fill them with soil and then add the palm or plant, the top half of the bag moves and I'm having to work with such little space while trying to keep the bag standing while trying to position the roots and fill it with soil and it makes me not even want to bother. :indifferent:

I'm sure bigger nursery bags or other types might be good because the bags I'm mentioning that I have are (7.87x11.81 or 7.87x13.78 Plastic Bags but I can't remember which size I have but it's either one of those) so I'm sure a bigger plant in a bigger bag is probably easier, but I do love a standard pot where the pot doesn't just collapse on itself and they don't lean based on how the soil settles or the bag is sitting :floor: but one of the benefits of having one, at least for plastic nursery bags, Is that when it's time to transplant, I can just cut down the sides of the bag and take the whole palm and soil and put it in the ground/pot with minor transplant shock since I can keep the soil and roots intact. B)

Edited by ZPalms
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Adonidia merrillii (approximately 3 years old) utilizing a 3 gallon Root Pouch, and the "pot-in-pot" technique (not to be confused with the Bob Ross "wet-on-wet" technique).  One 3 gallon Root Pouch set me back about $1.80 (when you factor in shipping costs).

image.thumb.jpeg.5e5e46154558488868ee7fcf301dafab.jpeg

• Upvote 2

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

42 minutes ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

Adonidia merrillii (approximately 3 years old) utilizing a 3 gallon Root Pouch, and the "pot-in-pot" technique (not to be confused with the Bob Ross "wet-on-wet" technique).  One 3 gallon Root Pouch set me back about $1.80 (when you factor in shipping costs).

image.thumb.jpeg.5e5e46154558488868ee7fcf301dafab.jpeg

Didn't consider this. :greenthumb:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Didn't consider this.

If it were up to me, I would just have a bunch of plants sitting around plastic nursery pots; however, it is not really up to me.  I am married, and need to integrate my hobby into her idea of aesthetics if I want to stay married.  Feng Shui and all that...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2022 at 10:11 AM, GoatLockerGuns said:

If it were up to me, I would just have a bunch of plants sitting around plastic nursery pots; however, it is not really up to me.  I am married, and need to integrate my hobby into her idea of aesthetics if I want to stay married.  Feng Shui and all that...

This