IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea torallyi

Scott

Hi, PC

Here's a picture of my 800 Pound Gorilla right in front of my house. The Shoe is 12.5" (32 cm) long. It's very much in keeping with Ed's untitled picture above.

I estimate its width to be about 3.5 to 4 feet across. I had no idea it would get that big when I planted it. If I'd known, I'd have put it further from everything.

I planted it as a juvenile in 2006, more or less. If you scroll up to post no. 85 you'll see a picture of what it looked like in the spring of 2008. It was about 5 - 6 feet tall then.

attachicon.gif001.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_4700.JPG

This is what i expect my 6 tor tor to turn into in a couple of.... well maybe in 10/15 years! And i will be a lucky guy :)

More like 6 or 7 years!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks everyone, and please keep the advice coming.

DoomsDave --- It is reassuring to hear that my PTVT will likely not grow on top of the adjacent trees and will not stifle their growth. Thank you for the photos -- I love your PTVT!

Ed -- Thank you for the photos. Is the first one really a PTVT? I mean the extremely tall pinnate palm surrounded by washingtonia robusta. My traditional notion of a PTVT is a palm with long, upright leaf bases extending half-way down the trunk, well below the crown area. Do you know what I mean? The first photo has none of that, and also appears to have a much slimmer. I would have thought that it was perhaps a Parajubaea Microcarpa instead, but you would know better than me.

By the way -- if I am expecting a 4-foot wide trunk, but have another tree now planted just 2 feet away, is that not a problem? Mine has not even grown a trunk yet at all. It has just become pinnate.

Thanks.

PC if your 800-Gorilla-to-be grows well, it might nudge aside something planted too close. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised at how well my monster seems to get along with other plants, but, it did smother a Princess flower. So, if your other tree planted 2 feet away is also large, you probably should pick your monster now.

How about some pictures?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And, here is another more pic of 800PG and the plants surrounding it.

I dug a hole, right next to the trunk and I think the roots grow straight down. I had no trouble digging the hole. Note the Chamadoreas, Rhapis and the Kentiopsis. That Kentiopsis is the biggest one I have.

post-208-0-95141900-1417223983_thumb.jpg

This is just to the north (the previous picture was just to the south). That's a Hyophorbe indica in the center, and another Rhapis.

post-208-0-84319500-1417224171_thumb.jpg

This is from the front, and here the Kentiopsis appears to dominate, except for the Monster immediately behind.

post-208-0-67193400-1417224292_thumb.jpg

Another picture angled a little further north of the previous pic.

post-208-0-51255800-1417224452_thumb.jpg

And a picture of the whole palm, or at least an attempt, with the flash.

post-208-0-84611000-1417224546_thumb.jpg

And, without, in the darkness, muah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

post-208-0-05717600-1417224654_thumb.jpg

This calls for some music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhR1JCwQMg4

looks like its going to be a monster Dave!!! I just love this species. looks like you cram plant your palms like me.... Been taking notes from Ralph V ???

I think this palm is underrated and needs to be planted on a commercial level. there is so much potential this genus!! I got to seen some in Chile, Argentina and Paraguay a few years back ant this palm has left a lasting impression for sure!!

PLANT MORE PARAJUBEA TORALLYI FOLKS!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

DoomsDave,you are awesome. All your photos give me a much better idea of what to expect ---- and, of course, your PTVT is only going to get bigger! In fifteen years, I wonder how wide the trunk will be.

I can't take any photos now because I am on the road, but perhaps later on.

Thanks again.

Any more thoughts from anyone else out there?

Here is the one growing in the Adelaide Botanic Garden. I wish the tag stated when it was planted. It has plenty of room around it.

post-10546-0-40889000-1417258686_thumb.j

Pip, I was discussing a similar topic with a friend this afternoon. I wish more gardens would state the size container the plant was in on the palm ID tags. This would be helpful indicator on measuring the rate of growth.

Sunset zone 24

Hello :)

My parajubaea torallyi var.torallyi and torallyi var.microcarpa from the rain/land,this palms species tree does not need much high temperature to grow fast.

parajubaea torallyi var.torallyi

post-3008-0-71988300-1417299011_thumb.jp

post-3008-0-43331500-1417299047_thumb.jp :floor:

parajubaea torallyi var.microcarpa

post-3008-0-73345000-1417299146_thumb.jp

post-3008-0-30328500-1417299169_thumb.jp

post-3008-0-37586600-1417299439_thumb.jp

sm

looks like its going to be a monster Dave!!! I just love this species. looks like you cram plant your palms like me.... Been taking notes from Ralph V ???

I think this palm is underrated and needs to be planted on a commercial level. there is so much potential this genus!! I got to seen some in Chile, Argentina and Paraguay a few years back ant this palm has left a lasting impression for sure!!

That's Mr. Ralphie Junior!

Actually, I'm thinning my herd a bit.

Anyone for some Dypsis plumosa palm heart?

Palmsmaciel, your torallyi torallyi is still just a little bitty bambino!

It will get to three for four times the width!

Keep us posted!

That's Mr. Ralphie Junior!

Actually, I'm thinning my heard a bit.

Anyone for some Dypsis plumosa palm heart?

I would be down to try some dypsis plumosa palm heart!!

Sunset zone 24

palmsmaciel what are your high temps in Portugal??

Sunset zone 24

Cikas, you might want to move it out further from the wall now.

It's going to fill up that space, and possibly bump against it.

Here are the three I have. I think the two on the left are p. torallyi. They were planted only a few months ago from 15's. I think the one on the right is a p. macrocarpa. This one was planted last year from a small 5 and is now as big as the others.

post-4818-0-81848600-1417458230_thumb.jppost-4818-0-13984900-1417458284_thumb.jp.

The first photo was about 4 months ago and the other today.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

It is 1,50 meters ( around 5 feets from the wall ). It looks closer on photos. :)

Okay! That's far enough. You scared me there for a minute . . .

palmsmaciel what are your high temps in Portugal??

Hello

The two hottest months are July and August, with an average of 23,24,25, but with heat waves from Africa that can reach 35.7 (my place/northwest of Portugal) .Since 2000 that record the daily temperature,but as we had a great influence of atlantic sea,these heat waves do not last many days(do not stop raining for many days)
I am as a lover of meterelogia, I divide Portugal in various climatic zones
-northwest of Portugal(good for many species of palms)humid climate :greenthumb::badday:
-northeast of portugal(not good,but some species thrive) dry,cold climate :evil:
-center of portugal (good for many species of palms) :greenthumb:
-center of portugal(east)(many species thrive) :greenthumb::evil:
-south (good for many species of palms)hot,dry climate :greenthumb::excl:
-south(algarve)(good for many species of palms + some species of subtropical palms) :greenthumb::innocent:
SM

SM, wow, thanks for the regional climate overview :winkie:

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How is Parajubaea Torallyii doing for people that's been trying them in Florida? Any Luck?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

If you are referring to Parajubaea Torallyi, var. Torallyi (not microcarpa), mine is doing fine here in northern Florida, but it is still young and small. I feel that it would be growing faster if I had not grown it in so much shade, but I still can't really complain about its growth rate. Mine has never suffered any cold damage, but I believe it was planted soon after the big 2010 freeze. If I am not mistaken, the lowest temperature it has seen was 18 degrees Fahrenheit one night. It was totally undamaged.

My parajubaea torally, var. microcarpa did not survive here in northern Florida. If my memory serves me correctly, it died near the end of August during its first year in the ground. I presume that it would not tolerate one more day of our summer humidity and died.

I think it happened on January 3, 2012 (or was it January 3, 2011?) I can check the weather records for that night to be sure, but I think we hit 18 or 19 degrees for an hour.

However, at the time, there was plenty of overhead canopy above my parajubaea torallyi, protecting it. As of this week, that particular area of my overhead canopy has been ripped out by my neighbor in her deforestation effort. I can keep you posted on how that same parajubaea torallyi does in the future, now that it and many other tender plants are suddenly totally exposed to the open night skies.....in January, of all times!

I have several P. torallyi. This one out by the street is easiest to photograph but I have a larger one nearby in partial shade, one in the backyard in partial shade and another in full shade that grows its fronds straight up. These pics were taken last fall. The trunk is growing OVER the flagstone walkway on one side and its pushing into a queen palm trunk on the other.

post-181-0-67672600-1422290889_thumb.jpg post-181-0-51510500-1422290914_thumb.jpg

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I have tried torallyi var. microcarpa and torallyi var. torallyi as potted palms here but they really dislike cool humid climate and a sudden change in location. Mine always started to really grow well in autumn (the cooler nights maybe) but as soon as it gets indoors before the first feezes they die in a few days. I think that this palm might be quite cold tolerant but clearly hates cool humid climate.

Jim that has a great coconutty look about it.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Jim that has a great coconutty look about it.

Yeah it's funny that I've had passersby ask me for coconuts from it.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim, thanks for the pics. Those are beautiful trees.

Thanks, Gabe!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I have tried torallyi var. microcarpa and torallyi var. torallyi as potted palms here but they really dislike cool humid climate and a sudden change in location. Mine always started to really grow well in autumn (the cooler nights maybe) but as soon as it gets indoors before the first feezes they die in a few days. I think that this palm might be quite cold tolerant but clearly hates cool humid climate.

Jakob, Parajubaea don't make good pot subjects. They like to send their roots straight down deeply into the soil. They also grow very well in cool weather so it might be a lighting issue inside or could your interior air be super dry in the winter and the palms are shocked when brought in?

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I have several P. torallyi. This one out by the street is easiest to photograph but I have a larger one nearby in partial shade, one in the backyard in partial shade and another in full shade that grows its fronds straight up. These pics were taken last fall. The trunk is growing OVER the flagstone walkway on one side and its pushing into a queen palm trunk on the other.

attachicon.gifphoto-203.JPG attachicon.gifphoto-204.JPG

all the more reasons to plant P. Toryalli. Their awesome!!!!!!

Sunset zone 24