IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea torallyi

Scott

I have tried torallyi var. microcarpa and torallyi var. torallyi as potted palms here but they really dislike cool humid climate and a sudden change in location. Mine always started to really grow well in autumn (the cooler nights maybe) but as soon as it gets indoors before the first feezes they die in a few days. I think that this palm might be quite cold tolerant but clearly hates cool humid climate.

This one is growing, for the last 5 years, in cool and extremely wet conditions...

post-3292-0-49141500-1422357187_thumb.jp

Your tvt is very nice it looked then as it was about to start forming a trunk. I wonder how big both your tvt and tvm are now! You have also a sunkha?

• 2 years later...
On 9/10/2008, 7:47:12, DoomsDave said:

post-208-1221101206_thumb.jpg

Wow Dave! Your Parajubea TvT is unrecognizable from this picture! And look! You had enough sun for a tibouchina to bloom! :P If I recall, this area is mostly shaded now right?

8 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Wow Dave! Your Parajubea TvT is unrecognizable from this picture! And look! You had enough sun for a tibouchina to bloom! :P If I recall, this area is mostly shaded now right?

Indeed it is, thanks to the canopy of the 800 pound gorilla.

And the Dypsis baronii, in the foreground of your picture, now way overhead, and the crown of the royal and Trachy behind the Tibuchina, all way overhead.

El Jardin del sombre . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's my Parajubaea torallyi var. microcarpa in the ground. I wasn't sure how it would react when I liberated it by planting it out after years in a container. They appear to HATE having their roots disturbed. But it sailed through the frost this past winter undamaged and has no problem with the summer sun and heat here in interior NorCal. It's been pushing fronds all year. I have a smaller P. torallyi var. torallyi on my palm berm that also seems to be doing well... so far.

Parajubaea.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Great!   I am curious about its growth rate over the next five years, so please post an annual photo.  I had one of each of those (PJT & PJM) but both died in my climate (or perhaps due to mistreatment or being planted in too much shade or experiencing too much rain, etc). I suspect that they may benefit from being in a dryer climate like yours.

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

They are likely torallyi. The easiest way to tell torallyi from microcarpa is trunk diameter. Microcarpa have significantly narrower trunks. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On 3/1/2020 at 3:17 PM, Happypalm said:

Does anyone know what palms are these in the video? Parajubaea torallyi var torallyi or microcarpa?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zbA9Vvckguc

I want to go there. Loved that clip. I reckon they are P torallyi var microcarpa, or maybe even P cocoides??? 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 1/27/2015 at 5:50 PM, Josh-O said:

all the more reasons to plant P. Toryalli. Their awesome!!!!!!

Here is one of the biggest ones in Christchurch NZ

20200222_123701 copy.jpg

• Like 7

• 6 months later...

Hi folks,

New here.  I know this quite an old thread but I found it very informative reading everyone's experience.  P. torallyi is a "must have" for me.  Just bought a house in Vallejo, CA; in the Bay Area zone 17, USDA 9b/10a.  The cold or heat don't concern me as much as space does.  I am trying to fit this one into my back yard as the main canopy palm for my palm bed I'm going to be working on very soon.  I have a narrow yard, so that's the main issue.

Tell me if I'm crazy- I'm looking at placing it (figuring in proposed max diameter) 5-6 ft. from the back of my house, any further away and I'm too close to PG&E's power lines above the back edge of my property.  At 5-6ft. from the house, if I'm to take into account the spread of these palms when full grown (~18 ft.), then the fronds will eventually in many years (not sure how many) arch over the 30ft. tall power lines at the back edge of the property by ~3-4ft.  I've attached some pics for reference.  Kind of hard to really get the scale into perspective but I tried.  The top of the eaves of my house are around 12ft. tall for reference, it's about 20ft from the air conditioner to the edge of the house visible in the pic, and about 12 ft. from the eaves to the 30ft power lines overhead.  It's obvious to me already that I will be pushing it with space.  I've tried to illustrate with the markings on the pics the estimated diameter of the base of the trunk in relation to the rest of the yard, and the rough border of the bed I'm putting in. I'm not too worried if the Meyer Lemon gets shaded out. Willing to make that sacrifice, it was already planted here. 

The question is- is it doable or insane? lol

PS- adobe clay soil here, anyone have any experience growing them in straight clay? I plan to amend heavily with humus, pumice, and a little sand to kind of create some aerated loam.

Sorry about the long winded post. Thanks for your help!

Justin

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

3 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Hi folks,

New here.  I know this quite an old thread but I found it very informative reading everyone's experience.  P. torallyi is a "must have" for me.  Just bought a house in Vallejo, CA; in the Bay Area zone 17, USDA 9b/10a.  The cold or heat don't concern me as much as space does.  I am trying to fit this one into my back yard as the main canopy palm for my palm bed I'm going to be working on very soon.  I have a narrow yard, so that's the main issue.

Tell me if I'm crazy- I'm looking at placing it (figuring in proposed max diameter) 5-6 ft. from the back of my house, any further away and I'm too close to PG&E's power lines above the back edge of my property.  At 5-6ft. from the house, if I'm to take into account the spread of these palms when full grown (~18 ft.), then the fronds will eventually in many years (not sure how many) arch over the 30ft. tall power lines at the back edge of the property by ~3-4ft.  I've attached some pics for reference.  Kind of hard to really get the scale into perspective but I tried.  The top of the eaves of my house are around 12ft. tall for reference, it's about 20ft from the air conditioner to the edge of the house visible in the pic, and about 12 ft. from the eaves to the 30ft power lines overhead.  It's obvious to me already that I will be pushing it with space.  I've tried to illustrate with the markings on the pics the estimated diameter of the base of the trunk in relation to the rest of the yard, and the rough border of the bed I'm putting in. I'm not too worried if the Meyer Lemon gets shaded out. Willing to make that sacrifice, it was already planted here. 

The question is- is it doable or insane? lol

PS- adobe clay soil here, anyone have any experience growing them in straight clay? I plan to amend heavily with humus, pumice, and a little sand to kind of create some aerated loam.

Sorry about the long winded post. Thanks for your help!

Justin

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Just remember the trunks of these palms gets really beefy.  Really wide!  Like three to four feet wide.

1 hour ago, rprimbs said:

Just remember the trunks of these palms gets really beefy.  Really wide!  Like three to four feet wide.

Crazy. Palmpedia is indicating 24”, but sounds like they get way beefier.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:19 AM, Albey said:

Here is one of the biggest ones in Christchurch NZ

20200222_123701 copy.jpg

Zoom this picture in and take a look at the size of the trunk!