IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x butia yatay

NWpalms@206

21 minutes ago, Chester B said:

That's funny I just told him the other day he needed to shoot more videos.  Guess he listened.

Wow  I just watched it and you had a lot of damage, what a shame.   I hope you don't lose anything too valuable.  It's odd that the Cordyline looked totally fine, I would've expected damage on it before some of those palms.

most of the damage was done to the smaller ones that shouldn't of been planted outside yet.if I had known that this winter was gonna be cold I would of not done it. Jubaea x butia yatay, Jubaea x Queen, Jubaea, 3 way crosses, meds ,windmills should be fine, sabals all should do well,will be getting back ups for the ones that don't  make it. yeah he told me about needing to make more vids.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Exactly... weird huh?  Unless protected?

they were covered with frost cloth. 

3 hours ago, Love them palms said:

11F was the coldest it got in my area but the wind chill put it around about 5. I'm surprised about the amount of trees that survived 

Wind chill is less of a factor for non-heat producing creatures (like plants) than for mammals and birds.  The wind may cause the plant to lose heat quicker (down to ambient temperature) but it NEVER drops below ambient, regardless of wind.  It just chills the plant TO ambient faster/more aggressively.  The coldest your plant would have gotten was 11F.    Wind chill factor was a term created to let people know how fast the outside conditions can chill us (we have to stay at normal body temp; even a drop of a few degrees can be devastating).  So, an ambient temp of 32F with a wind chill factor of, say, 15F, means that with heavy wind, the blowing air (at 32F) will try to cool you down as fast as calm air at 15F.   It "feels like" 15 F to our warm bodies.  But if you died and went cold, you'd only chill to 32F which is the actual outdoor temp, regardless of wind.  It's a way of showing us how dangerous the outdoor conditions are for us, since our bodies cannot safely drop temp at all.   Not as relevant for plants, even though whipping wind can damage and chill plants faster than calm wind, as well as reduce the effectiveness of protective measures such as a thin plastic cover or christmas lights. 

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Was that young that the yatay x jub died, or from weather? 

no it was in a pot, left outside 

3 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

they were covered with frost cloth. 

Ah that helps!!  I like Cordylines when they can survive!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarkbVet said:

Wind chill is less of a factor for non-heat producing creatures (like plants) than for mammals and birds.  The wind may cause the plant to lose heat quicker (down to ambient temperature) but it NEVER drops below ambient, regardless of wind.  It just chills the plant TO ambient faster/more aggressively.  The coldest your plant would have gotten was 11F.    Wind chill factor was a term created to let people know how fast the outside conditions can chill us (we have to stay at normal body temp; even a drop of a few degrees can be devastating).  So, an ambient temp of 32F with a wind chill factor of, say, 15F, means that with heavy wind, the blowing air (at 32F) will try to cool you down as fast as calm air at 15F.   It "feels like" 15 F to our warm bodies.  But if you died and went cold, you'd only chill to 32F which is the actual outdoor temp, regardless of wind.  It's a way of showing us how dangerous the outdoor conditions are for us, since our bodies cannot safely drop temp at all.   Not as relevant for plants, even though whipping wind can damage and chill plants faster than calm wind, as well as reduce the effectiveness of protective measures such as a thin plastic cover or christmas lights. 

I just putting out how cold the wind chill was but for the plants it was 11F.

• Like 1

Ah that helps!!  I like Cordylines when they can survive!

hopefully it won't be that cold again for a few years. last couple years have been colder than usual. if I wanted cold I would have stayed in eastern Washington. 

2 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

I just putting out how cold the wind chill was but for the plants it was 11F.

Ok, you get it then!  So i'm preaching to the choir here.  :rolleyes:  Should have figured that, but you'd be surprised how many times I've run into that idea that the wind chill temp was the 'real' temp lol.  Never mind me, I'm gonna go huddle in the corner in a fetal position and rock back and forth awhile....

hopefully it won't be that cold again for a few years. last couple years have been colder than usual. if I wanted cold I would have stayed in eastern Washington. 

Amen to that!  Was in Pullman awhile.... hey 'but it's a DRY cold"  hehehe

3 hours ago, Love them palms said:

11F was the coldest it got in my area but the wind chill put it around about 5. I'm surprised about the amount of trees that survived 

Whoa... You got blasted 11F almost as bad as Vancouver, BC area. Mine was 17F. This La Niña lasts too long; at least our temperature will be above average the upcoming week. I cannot wait for warmer spring. 

• Like 2

Ok, you get it then!  So i'm preaching to the choir here.  :rolleyes:  Should have figured that, but you'd be surprised how many times I've run into that idea that the wind chill temp was the 'real' temp lol.  Never mind me, I'm gonna go huddle in the corner in a fetal position and rock back and forth awhile....

that's ok,I,ve preach too,especially to the folk down south that think the only trees that survive in my neck of the woods are windmills. 

• Like 1

Just now, Love them palms said:

that's ok,I,ve preach too,especially to the folk down south that think the only trees that survive in my neck of the woods are windmills. 

Wrong - doug fir and spruce!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

Whoa... You got blasted 11F almost as bad as Vancouver, BC area. Mine was 17F. This La Niña lasts too long; at least our temperature will be above average the upcoming week. I cannot wait for warmer spring. 

Yeah we just had a week of dry and/or sunny weather, cool nights but nice days and no rain.  Now a few days of light showers (for here, that's like sunshine almost lol), then no rain for almost 10 days!  Sunny-ish and in mid 50's F (still cool at night).  Lovin it.  

• Like 1

If that were the case, Don Quixote would move here...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

no it was in a pot, left outside 

That's too bad, that is a cool plant (hoping for good things from mine)

7 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Wrong - doug fir and spruce!

Hehehe..let's add native trees.. ugh. . Big leaf maples and english laurel + ivy. :evil:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

Hehehe..let's add native trees.. ugh. . Big leaf maples and english laurel + ivy. :evil:

:beat_deadhorse:

• Like 1

try that again 

Screenshot_20220130-184950_Docs Viewer.jpg

your first link worked too... same list I had I think, he's not updated since then....hopefully soon!

8 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

:beat_deadhorse:

my neighbors tell me I should of stuck with native and I tell them palms were native a few thousand years ago :yay:

• Like 3

try that again 

Screenshot_20220130-184950_Docs Viewer.jpg

Nice! What are you planning to get? 

I am thinking to get a (BxJ)xQ from Patrix. 

2 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

your first link worked too... same list I had I think, he's not updated since then....hopefully soon!

He,s got a few 5g that I'm thinking of getting 

• Like 1

Just now, Trustandi said:

BJxBS,and a couple of Jubaea x butia yatay liners 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Trustandi said:

I want a Butia X P. torallyi or P. sunkha (not sure which), already got a JxB  xQ on the way someday in March?

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

@MarkbVet maybe get them both, one of each? ;)  the chamaerops humilis dick mutant looks weird and cool. I like how Sabal Lisa look better though.

@Love them palms nice.  I have the (BxJ) x (BxS) too. Thanks to @yabazid

haven't had one yet .looking forward to getting one

13 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

I want a Butia X P. torallyi or P. sunkha (not sure which), already got a JxB  xQ on the way someday in March?

I would like to get a Butia x parajubea sunkha too

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

@MarkbVet maybe get them both, one of each? ;)  the chamaerops humilis dick mutant looks weird and cool. I like how Sabal Lisa look better though.

@Love them palms        that's an interesting mix... would love to see a pic once it's past baby stage.  

@Trustandi   know where I can see a pic of a dick mutant?  (er..that sounded questionable).   Also-- is it like the Lisa variant where you can't tell if the leaves will be mutant until it's a bit older?  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

The BxS pollen was fertile then, interesting.  Hardiness aside, any idea how different/unique each of these hybrids looks, compared to each other?

Edited by MarkbVet

The BxS pollen was fertile then, interesting.  Hardiness aside, any idea how different/unique each of these hybrids looks, compared to each other?

just depends on which tree is dominant  in the mix. could look more Queen or Jubaea or Butia. ,that's the exciting part of hybrids you don't know which features it will take.

Just now, Love them palms said:

just depends on which tree is dominant  in the mix. could look more Queen or Jubaea or Butia. ,that's the exciting part of hybrids you don't know which features it will take.

Just curious if anyone has grown these to the point to see whether the combo leads to any really new looking plants, rather than just resembling a parent. 

@MarkbVet dicks mutant is a horrible sickly looking plant. You can do a search here and should be able to find some photos. It’s like the fronds are glued together and never opened. The weeping Chamaerops are infinitely better. 

1 minute ago, Chester B said:

@MarkbVet dicks mutant is a horrible sickly looking plant. You can do a search here and should be able to find some photos. It’s like the fronds are glued together and never opened. The weeping Chamaerops are infinitely better. 

Ok then!  I've seen 'vulcano' and probably want one of those eventually; I think Desertscape has them.  Now you got me wondering, what are the weeping Chamaerops??  (Maybe I can cheer 'em up)

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Ok then!  I've seen 'vulcano' and probably want one of those eventually; I think Desertscape has them.  Now you got me wondering, what are the weeping Chamaerops??  (Maybe I can cheer 'em up)

I’d be cautious on those vulcano, there is a lot of variability among seedlings. They range from normal to the tight vulcano form. You’d have to buy a bunch to ensure you got one that looked proper. Same goes for Sabal Lisa, not all seedlings will exhibit the trait. 

You’ll have to search the topics here for the weeping form, they seem exceedingly rare. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

Here is the (BxJ) x (BxS) I planted last Spring (the first photo). The second one is the much bigger size, I borrowed it from a post @yabazid &  @Ben in Norcal

PXL_20210914_204919278.PORTRAIT.jpg

034DCE24-0FCB-4414-BE59-C8344E536E13.thumb.jpeg.b7d21316514e9227d910284133736a53.jpeg

Very nice if they usually look like that!  Most weepy fronds I've seen in a hybrid pinnate... any idea of  hardiness??  It survived your weather this winter, I assume protected?  Any idea of others' experiences cold-wise??

1 hour ago, Trustandi said:

@Love them palms     Are there more available do you know?

Edited by MarkbVet