IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in aquarium

ZPalms

Has anyone ever tried to growing a palm in an aquarium? I just had a funny idea of growing some in one maybe chamaedorea radicalis or something

5 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Has anyone ever tried to growing a palm in an aquarium? I just had a funny idea of growing some in one maybe chamaedorea radicalis or something

I'm currently using a 20-gal aquarium as a mini-greenhouse inside the house for my seedlings that prefer extra humidity.  The seedlings are potted individually and sitting on top of gravel.  I put a glass cover on the top and I remove the cover each day for a few minutes to allow for air circulation.  Using the aquarium as a large container for multiple seedlings probably isn't a good idea.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

9 hours ago, Fusca said:

I'm currently using a 20-gal aquarium as a mini-greenhouse inside the house for my seedlings that prefer extra humidity.  The seedlings are potted individually and sitting on top of gravel.  I put a glass cover on the top and I remove the cover each day for a few minutes to allow for air circulation.  Using the aquarium as a large container for multiple seedlings probably isn't a good idea.

That's a good idea, Do you use a heating mat under it?

16 hours ago, ZPalms said:

That's a good idea, Do you use a heating mat under it?

No need for that.  I have it in a spare room where I close the A/C vents.  Stays about 83° in there most of the year.  I use a grow light also.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

On 1/29/2022 at 4:42 PM, Rickybobby said:

Usually we do mangroves. They take in waiste and can tolerate salt. But they are aquatic 

You should try it with Nypa fruticans. A marine/brackish aquarium with a massive primaeval palm palm growing out (and simultaneously removing nitrates from the water) would be something worth seeing. Not sure if Nypa tolerates fully marine environments like mangroves do, but I suspect it does.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I germinate a lot of my Annuals and Palms in an Aquarium. I use a heating mat and put the seed tray on top of the the mat inside the aquarium and, man do they ever pop out :D

• Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 6:00 AM, PalmsandLiszt said:

You should try it with Nypa fruticans. A marine/brackish aquarium with a massive primaeval palm palm growing out (and simultaneously removing nitrates from the water) would be something worth seeing. Not sure if Nypa tolerates fully marine environments like mangroves do, but I suspect it does.

Oh that sounds very interesting, This is actually the first time seeing about this palm and it's crazy it's basically always in water, I would be willing to give it a try so I think I'll set the tank up and see if I can acquire a seed or two cause even if it's a thing I can enjoy for a couple of years it would be cool :greenthumb:

10 hours ago, Palmlover_78 said:

I germinate a lot of my Annuals and Palms in an Aquarium. I use a heating mat and put the seed tray on top of the the mat inside the aquarium and, man do they ever pop out :D

If I don't grow Nypa in the tank, I think seed sprouting and humidity chamber would also be great but also I don't have any palms that want a lot of humidity, at least I don't think so :blink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Oh that sounds very interesting, This is actually the first time seeing about this palm and it's crazy it's basically always in water, I would be willing to give it a try so I think I'll set the tank up and see if I can acquire a seed or two cause even if it's a thing I can enjoy for a couple of years it would be cool :greenthumb:

If I don't grow Nypa in the tank, I think seed sprouting and humidity chamber would also be great but also I don't have any palms that want a lot of humidity, at least I don't think so :blink:

Palms that come from VERY Urban Tropical environments, environments that night or winter temps never go below 20c or 68f want humidity. Christmas Palms, Lipstick Palms, Royals etc...an example right now is the Philippines right now daily high of 89f and a night temp of 77f and 80% humidity .....:wacko:  Yuk

Edited by Palmlover_78
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Palmlover_78 said:

Palms that come from VERY Urban Tropical environments, environments that night or winter temps never go below 20c or 68f want humidity. Christmas Palms, Lipstick Palms, Royals etc...an example right now is the Philippines right now daily high of 89f and a night temp of 77f and 80% humidity .....:wacko:  Yuk

Do christmas palms need humidity more as seedlings than mature? I've been thinking of sprouting christmas palm

20 hours ago, ZPalms said:

RPS had some seeds quite recently. I was thinking about ordering some, but I prevaricated and now they're gone. However, this is not a palm that is rare or threatened in its native range, so I dare say the opportunity will come again. I don't think anyone will be able to grow it outdoors out of equatorial regions (extreme south FL might be able to pull it off; I'm not sure if anyone has succeeded).

It's a pretty unique palm that essentially evolved into its current form before the extinction of the dinosaurs.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PalmsandLiszt said:

RPS had some seeds quite recently. I was thinking about ordering some, but I prevaricated and now they're gone. However, this is not a palm that is rare or threatened in its native range, so I dare say the opportunity will come again. I don't think anyone will be able to grow it outdoors out of equatorial regions (extreme south FL might be able to pull it off; I'm not sure if anyone has succeeded).

It's a pretty unique palm that essentially evolved into its current form before the extinction of the dinosaurs.

I saw a post earlier of Nypa planting itself somewhere in florida which is pretty cool, It does seem like a hard palm to take care of because I've been doing some research tonight about them and I've seen some conflicting results that they need brackish type water and I'm not sure I would fully want to regulate salt and freshwater constantly and having to keep the water constantly warm and I've seen that they aren't always fully submerged and that the tide also contributes to their health I think? sounds really complicated but maybe I'm wrong and their easier? :blink:

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

Christmas Palms in general like their humidity a bit higher, I have my place at around 52% with weekly misting and they seem to do ok. Seedlings respond better to higher humidity levels, but they will do ok at 50%. The photos are of a Christmas Palm I germinated from seed that is 14 months old and the little guy is only 6 months old. at slightly higher then average humidity.

gh2.JPG

gh3.JPG

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 4:41 AM, PalmsandLiszt said:

There are some really nice Nypa fruticans at Montgomery Botanical Center. They are growing in/on the edge of ponds (which based on the manatees and saltwater crocs, have an outlet to the bay). They are gigantic, not sure how long they would last in a small indoor setup. 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2022 at 3:50 PM, Palmlover_78 said:

Christmas Palms in general like their humidity a bit higher, I have my place at around 52% with weekly misting and they seem to do ok. Seedlings respond better to higher humidity levels, but they will do ok at 50%. The photos are of a Christmas Palm I germinated from seed that is 14 months old and the little guy is only 6 months old. at slightly higher then average humidity.

gh2.JPG

gh3.JPG

Do they grow quicker under higher heat and humidity? They look very cute and would love to try one :greenthumb:

10 hours ago, Benjamin D. said:

There are some really nice Nypa fruticans at Montgomery Botanical Center. They are growing in/on the edge of ponds (which based on the manatees and saltwater crocs, have an outlet to the bay). They are gigantic, not sure how long they would last in a small indoor setup. 

I went to see pictures of them and they look awesome, I have no knowledge of tanks and how to keep one healthy and flourishing so I know I would fail completely and this palm seems like it would be expensive just to keep alive on my own in a tank even if I did have the resources :wacko:

Don't Panic Dude :), They are not near as intimidating as they are made out to be. The secrets of success are heat, bright light , fertilizer and moderate humidity,  They need heat and high humidity to germinate but once they get there second Frond, you can put them in moderate humidity. Heat, Food, Water, and bright Light. When you get seeds, soak them in warm water for two days change the water every 12 hours. They will float at first because of the fibrous hairs. Only use the ones that sank. Put them on a group pot, and put them in the tank. If they are fresh you will see sprouts in about two to four weeks. Once the seedlings are a bout 6" you can pot them up individually. :) I live in Zone 3a right now it is -39 c  , just remember........You Can Do It ;) No they are not expensive to keep alive , just like a little TLC. My set up in the tank and this is what you will get :)  Have Fun :P

IMG_3203.JPG

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Palmlover_78 said:

Don't Panic Dude :), They are not near as intimidating as they are made out to be. The secrets of success are heat, bright light , fertilizer and moderate humidity,  They need heat and high humidity to germinate but once they get there second Frond, you can put them in moderate humidity. Heat, Food, Water, and bright Light. When you get seeds, soak them in warm water for two days change the water every 12 hours. They will float at first because of the fibrous hairs. Only use the ones that sank. Put them on a group pot, and put them in the tank. If they are fresh you will see sprouts in about two to four weeks. Once the seedlings are a bout 6" you can pot them up individually. :) I live in Zone 3a right now it is -39 c  , just remember........You Can Do It ;) No they are not expensive to keep alive , just like a little TLC. My set up in the tank and this is what you will get :)  Have Fun :P

IMG_3203.JPG

I love that you put them in solo cups cause I always have in my head I need to have a 13+ inch pot for palms but nobody just has access to deep pots on hand so It's cool you can just do them in the cups, Is their a benefit to planting the seed on the surface or is that just how your suppose to do it? do you just push them in slightly?

Half way is best, In the wild they don't get buried , they just pop up where they land. Remembering my Beer Pong Days is what led me to using the cups :P,  If the little plant separates from the seed at the beginning , no worries it will be fine :) Also as the tree grows , you will notice the lower fronds yellowing and turning brown, that is there life cycle they suck the nutrience out of the lower fronds and use it to grow and sprout new spears. If ya have anymore questions just let me know :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palmlover_78 said:

Half way is best, In the wild they don't get buried , they just pop up where they land. Remembering my Beer Pong Days is what led me to using the cups :P,  If the little plant separates from the seed at the beginning , no worries it will be fine :) Also as the tree grows , you will notice the lower fronds yellowing and turning brown, that is there life cycle they suck the nutrience out of the lower fronds and use it to grow and sprout new spears. If ya have anymore questions just let me know :D

Awesome! I'll have to get my hands on some seedlings after I transplant what I currently have in my room cause I got too many palms than I can take care of, I don't know how people who sprout many at once cause it's so much work even with just 15  :floor:

18 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Awesome! I'll have to get my hands on some seedlings after I transplant what I currently have in my room cause I got too many palms than I can take care of, I don't know how people who sprout many at once cause it's so much work even with just 15  :floor:

15 :P ...........Try 39 :rolleyes:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Palmlover_78 said:

15 :P ...........Try 39 :rolleyes:

I think I'd loose my mind if I had to water 39 palms in my room and having to make sure they drain and having to make sure I don't make a mess cause I already struggle with my current ones :violin::floor:

5 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I think I'd loose my mind if I had to water 39 palms in my room and having to make sure they drain and having to make sure I don't make a mess cause I already struggle with my current ones :violin::floor:

Thankfully the Windmill seedlings are just tiny , they don't take up much room, and they are kept in a cooler darker room for winter. Windmills like it cooler then most other Palms. Windmills do VERY well in my area as Patio Plants. They hate temps above 30c . I will be eventually selling the Windmills when they are bigger :D , Don't get overwhelmed. enjoy them I always bite off more then i can chew, I seriously don't know what the hell is it with me with that but meh "P

• Like 1