IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix roebelenii fronds breaking?

P. Hightower

Hello. I have had a triple trunk Phoenix Robellini for about 2 months and in the last month I have had 5 fronds break off the the smallest trunk. The tops of all of the trees look to be green and healthy but there seems to be some yellowing and spots on the lower fronds. I also notice there are areas on the trunk that look exposed and yellow.

At first I thought they may have been snapped by the pool guy but I lost three fronds when he had not been at the house.
Next I thought it may be wind but this too seems unlikely.

Tonight I found another one laying at the base.  The yellow areas on the trunk also seems a to be more pronounced.
The other two larger trunks are not having this breaking issue however the fronds do look like they are turning yellow.
I amended the soil with Miracle Gro Palm when I planted it and have given it water pretty frequently but do not think I'm overwatering.
Finally we have had a few colder nights and I have covered the palm(s) with 3 sheets and the location is next to my house.

Is this shock , nutrition deficiency or something else?

Thank you for the help. 

Edited by P. Hightower

Do you have any pictures? If using granular fertilizer, do not mix with the soil as it can burn the roots.
If it is cold weather damage they should bronze. Mine never fall off after bronzing, I trim in the spring after no more freezes occur as damaged leaflets provide some insulation value.

Edited by D Palm

On 1/29/2022 at 11:47 PM, D Palm said:

Do you have any pictures? If using granular fertilizer, do not mix with the soil as it can burn the roots.
If it is cold weather damage they should bronze. Mine never fall off after bronzing, I trim in the spring after no more freezes occur as damaged leaflets provide some insulation value.

I actually did throw down some fertilizer just before it happened. 
I realized it was a bad idea and tried to scrape and dig it out. 

Don't think it had anything to do with the temps because I got damage on the tops the morning after the Jan. 29 freeze. 

• Like 1