IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Large Pots

bgifford

Hello everyone!

I have been growing my Palms here in Central KY for about 5 years now. They are all in Pots and some are needing to get repotted soon. I have a few that are in 15 Gallon Nursery Pots and look like they are getting close become root bound. The biggest ones I have are a Fox Tail (without Pot on to the highest point) is about 7ft tall.  I also have four Washingtonia robusta that I started from seed 4 1/2 years ago that are growing quick.

I know there are larger Pots out there and found a place (semi local) that sells 25 Gallon Pots. If I go larger, I have to get them from a Bigger Store and end up having to pay $250 -$350 in shipping alone.

Has anyone tried something else for their Palms that are grown in Pots and are moved inside during the Winter. For example Grow Bags or Home made Planters? I have a very good Dolly to move them easily so I am not worried about size or weight. I just would like to hear what solutions some have come up with for their palm that are getting bigger and needed bigger Pots or planters.

Thank you!

Brian

I buy standard-sized, black plastic garbage cans and drill drainage holes in these. Sometimes when I see more decorative, indoor waste paper baskets (again in plastic), I will buy up those.  Sometimes they sell large plastic tubs, but the garbage cans have the depth of soil that palms like.  Any time I see a potential container, I think about how to convert it into a potential planter. Yesterday, I bought a drill bit especially for ceramic to drill drainage holes.  The prices they want for plastic plant pots is ridiculous.

These Canary Island dates (from seed), are in garbage cans.

3E9E10D3-78DF-425B-B138-E1416DA6AC54.jpeg

• Like 1

55 gallon plastic barrels cut in half, drilled for drainage and maybe cut some hand holes in the side near the top work well.  Usually find them on Craigslist for cheap.  I get them free from work thankfully, been using them for some bamboo.

Go to Lowes and look at the 20 gallon (true gallon not nursery gallon) water feature planters $20

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Thanks for all those suggestions. I will definitively look into all of those. Especially since they are all good cheap options. 

Looking forward to warmer temps.