IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dallas palms Our Dallas garden before and after last winters low of 3F

TonyDFW

• 2 weeks later...

Flawless Sabal Mexicana in Garland. Talked to owner and he didn’t even know what kind it was.

Have spent past few days in north Dallas suburbs and all im seeing are windmills in 6-12’ range and mature Sabal Mexicanas. Few random burnt sagos but no Mediterranean fan palms no washingtonias. Wish Sabal minor were planted more up here

43E1E39A-BDB7-43A1-A061-825843694933.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Maybe create a new thread instead of taking over his? I think it was originally just about his yard. I know I helped divert the topic myself.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:39 AM, Ryland said:

It's interesting to see that the Chamaerops with several trunks lost all the trunks but survived from the ground!  I'm pleasantly surprised about the Brahea.  Shame to lose some of those nice Butia though!

B. armata can be pretty hardy when it's good sized.  Beautiful palm, can't wait for mine to grow larger.   And those Sabals and Trachys take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.  Agreed, sad to see those big palms lost,  Butias etc. 

On 1/28/2022 at 3:54 PM, TonyDFW said:

C. Humilis cerifera in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
trunk hardy. Green form died to ground. 

B3E6D382-6873-4836-853F-660766198785.jpeg

A441915D-052F-441E-BC9F-889EA021F32C.jpeg

2764208C-59A1-4D6F-8DBE-582DC787A9F4.jpeg

Nice plants!   I can't tell from the pic if that's Nolina nelsoni or a big blue Sotol (e.g. Dasylirion wheeleri) ....  great specimen!  

22 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Nice plants!   I can't tell from the pic if that's Nolina nelsoni or a big blue Sotol (e.g. Dasylirion wheeleri) ....  great specimen!  

It looks like a Yucca rostrata to me..... I don't have a Nolina but I gathered seed from some in New Mexico and none of them looked like this.  I have some Dasylirion and it also doesn't look like this, but then again you can't see if it has hooks or not.  Hard to tell.  I would also be interested to know.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

It looks like a Yucca rostrata to me..... I don't have a Nolina but I gathered seed from some in New Mexico and none of them looked like this.  I have some Dasylirion and it also doesn't look like this, but then again you can't see if it has hooks or not.  Hard to tell.  I would also be interested to know.  

It looks a lot like my Nolina nelsoli...   but if it's closer to the camera than I thought, then yes it could be Yucca rostrata.  Leaves may be shorter than I assumed if it's close up, which would fit with Y. rostrata...  and that plant is so commonplace now,  it's not a bad guess.   Seems like every nursery is pushing those, especially Sean Hogan's 'sapphire skies' cultivar.  You're probably right.   :)