IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dallas palms Our Dallas garden before and after last winters low of 3F

TonyDFW

It's so amazing the Sabals look like nothing happened, yet the Trachys got completely defoliated.  Not what I would've expected.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, teddytn said:

@TonyDFW Tony the palm, front right in the pictures near the road, is that a Sabal Louisiana? 

It looks like a Sabal Lisa, whatever it is it’s a good looking palm.  Oh and I think there is a Sabal Louisiana on the curb also. And those Trachy’s are some of the tallest I’ve ever seen. Maybe trachy’s love Texas weather idk. I had a trachy’s when I lived down by San Antonio and that things took off like a rocket. Anyways I’m glad he updated, I enjoy seeing his yard. 

Edited by Jtee
  • Like 2

It's interesting to see that the Chamaerops with several trunks lost all the trunks but survived from the ground!  I'm pleasantly surprised about the Brahea.  Shame to lose some of those nice Butia though!

• Like 3

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Still going to be a really nice yard when everything fully recovers.  Those Trachy were tall!  Shame on the big butia loss.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Absolutely incredible.. I don't think people give Sabals enough credit.  It's honestly why 95% of our 150 or so palms around the property are sabals, of literally all varieties (all cold hardy).  If they can get through what we had last year, which is one of those lifetime events, then I will take the slower growth.  The diversity of the Sabals is also quite incredible. 

After seeing Tony's S. Lisa last year, I've picked up four... lol... love the mutants!

• Like 6

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

On 1/26/2022 at 7:22 PM, Chester B said:

It's so amazing the Sabals look like nothing happened, yet the Trachys got completely defoliated.  Not what I would've expected.  

Sabal Louisiana to the right and Sabal minor to the left. 

• Like 2

C. Humilis cerifera in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
trunk hardy. Green form died to ground. 

B3E6D382-6873-4836-853F-660766198785.jpeg

A441915D-052F-441E-BC9F-889EA021F32C.jpeg

2764208C-59A1-4D6F-8DBE-582DC787A9F4.jpeg

• Like 4

Bra Oria county Palm  in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
no foliage damage after freeze. 

chamaedorea microspadix. Killed to ground. 

38E84DB3-B982-4663-8566-B5D5E21FCE37.jpeg

• Like 5

Sabal mexicana in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
Defoliated spear pull, this much growth produced in one growing season. Nog a flow growing plant. 

BBD50B96-A1D5-415E-8CD5-AF386B345683.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the pic update.  Helps me see what to grow here!

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Everyone should really take a look at their palm collection and add more sabals, Americas original cold hardy palm

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Hope the filibusta pulls through as it’s looking like 14-15 degrees next week up there. Has to be tallest one in Dallas that survived 

Accuweather is saying low of 21, weather.com is saying 22 for Austin. Not looking good. Everything will be covered in ice. 

We are slightly cooler in Leander, although typically we get less precipitation than Austin. I left South Austin at 7pm during that last front a week or so ago, everything was was wet and covered in ice with sleet falling. 27 miles away in Leander was dry and stayed dry overnight. Temperatures keep dropping. I’ve already started covering in advance.

D370717B-FCA1-49C1-8FEA-0B1832C662FA.jpeg

5 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Worried about ones like this 

E9B3B4F6-0D1D-4E2F-B269-0A0BA8467A85.jpeg

Here are a couple from Bryan, Tx that are starting to go down hill already after mid 20s. One very skinny one came back this spring, but is dead now.

825ABE1A-60AA-4E7C-ADB4-220AA789606C.jpeg

A mile away is another with same stunted growth and winter burn damage already.

6E8658F8-D0A7-49CB-B5AD-3E48B7B9E6F3.jpeg

D18F11D0-E7B6-49E4-9354-D3F0A0FD653A.png

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On 1/28/2022 at 6:53 PM, TonyDFW said:

(Butia x Jubea) x Jubea in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 

95411BD5-6FD5-439E-81C5-67B5230300CB.jpeg

Where did you purchase this guy? I'd love one for my yard! 

On 1/26/2022 at 7:42 PM, TonyDFW said:

C34E6321-B3E7-4B9A-8F9E-5D95D84A6434.jpeg

20AC9CC9-2BB5-4898-8C37-60D478548EF2.jpeg

AB402B98-A196-4ABF-B0C8-6042D2166310.jpeg

38F79D2D-A7DD-4193-A246-D61F13DD537A.jpeg

What is the silver palm near the corner of the house?  Is it a Bismarkia?

29 minutes ago, Toddmin said:

What is the silver palm near the corner of the house?  Is it a Bismarkia?

Brahea Armata 

11 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Hopefully all your palms make it through, crazy two years in a row for Dallas.

4A1B5482-82A9-4840-A76B-6939563B33F5.jpeg

The weather forecasts vary wildly, but I trust and key in off our my backyard weather station.. this weather flow tempest is stupid accurate... always versus the national weather service.  Look at all of the big beautiful sun coming up, and above freezing temperatures... 

People.. if you need anymore of a reason to plant and have a metric crap ton of cold hardy sabals.. look at the pictures above.. Sabals deserve some love and respect.  Most, are bulletproof here, regardless of what we get outside.  The proof is in the pictures.  I only covered mine because they are year one in the ground 3 year olds, but never again.

image.thumb.png.33d524c144d509aaf99812e984c75e55.png

• Upvote 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:03 PM, TonyDFW said:

Sabal Birmingham  in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
no foliage damage 

CF1B3E12-F638-4FBE-AB9B-3CEFF5C4C192.jpeg

We have a bunch of these here in Raleigh NC, Zone 7b. Many are well over 40 years old. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, knikfar said:

We have a bunch of these here in Raleigh NC, Zone 7b. Many are well over 40 years old. 

This thread, honestly... @teddytn and I were talking about this but everyone should build their palm collection on these S. Birmingham, S. Louisiana, and S. Brazoriensis, with a smattering of the massive variety of S. Minor.  From there, build the more "vulnerable" ones, other trunking sabals, etc... these are bulletproof, and this thread really opens my eyes and further validates what I am doing here.  Who the hell wants to get up in a cherry picker couple times a year to cover a W. Filifera?  Just seems dumb.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tlow said:

This thread, honestly... @teddytn and I were talking about this but everyone should build their palm collection on these S. Birmingham, S. Louisiana, and S. Brazoriensis, with a smattering of the massive variety of S. Minor.  From there, build the more "vulnerable" ones, other trunking sabals, etc... these are bulletproof, and this thread really opens my eyes and further validates what I am doing here.  Who the hell wants to get up in a cherry picker couple times a year to cover a W. Filifera?  Just seems dumb.

I'm with you. I have a single butia that I've commited to protecting. Other than that, I only have palms I dont have to protect including Sabal Birmingham, Sabal Bald Head Island, Sabal Braziorensis, Mediterranean fan palm, and a variety of trachys and sagos.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, knikfar said:

I'm with you. I have a single butia that I've commited to protecting. Other than that, I only have palms I dont have to protect including Sabal Birmingham, Sabal Bald Head Island, Sabal Braziorensis, Mediterranean fan palm, and a variety of trachys and sagos.  

Perfect!  My only ones I get concerned about, but likely shouldn't is S. Bermudana (have two which took 17 on multiple occasions didn't blink) a S. Urensas (looking above at Tony's, I shouldn't worry as it grows), and a couple of Butias that are likely nuked after this, but that's OK.  I can replace them with more of the bulletproof ones from above.

I'll end up having 30-50+ S. Minors of many varieties and a grand total of 150 or so palms when I'm done, all cold hardy, so no protecting for me.  That's for suckers!  I'd rather sit back in the house for the day or two of bad weather, have a beer and remember the summer and heat that is coming very soon.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, tlow said:

Perfect!  My only ones I get concerned about, but likely shouldn't is S. Bermudana (have two which took 17 on multiple occasions didn't blink) a S. Urensas (looking above at Tony's, I shouldn't worry as it grows), and a couple of Butias that are likely nuked after this, but that's OK.  I can replace them with more of the bulletproof ones from above.

I'll end up having 30-50+ S. Minors of many varieties and a grand total of 150 or so palms when I'm done, all cold hardy, so no protecting for me.  That's for suckers!  I'd rather sit back in the house for the day or two of bad weather, have a beer and remember the summer and heat that is coming very soon.

Agree! Just look at my signature at those minors and needles!  But I have a bone to pick about the protecting palms.   I pretty much have to if I want to have anything and honestly most people probably spend more time mowing their grass a couple times or raking leaves than I do protecting about 9 palms (Trachy, butia, mule).  I'd say 4 hours per year total time. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Agree! Just look at my signature at those minors and needles!  But I have a bone to pick about the protecting palms.   I pretty much have to if I want to have anything and honestly most people probably spend more time mowing their grass a couple times or raking leaves than I do protecting about 9 palms (Trachy, butia, mule).  I'd say 4 hours per year total time. 

protect away.. I have some trachys here that if they don't make it, so be it.. I'd probably be happier long term and the look isn't exactly what I want long term anyways,.. if it can't survive on its own post the first winter... it doesn't belong here!

My biggest and most concerning one would be the S. Causarium.  The parent mine came from took 12F, lived, and had minor foliar damage, so it's likely hardier into the single digits.. It's young, first year outside, so we'll see how it did through this.  It took 17 without even a burn on its leaves, and even pushed out a new spear, and expanded it days later.  Sabals are tough as nails!