Jump to content
TonyDFW

Dallas palms Our Dallas garden before and after last winters low of 3F

Recommended Posts

teddytn

@TonyDFW Tony the palm, front right in the pictures near the road, is that a Sabal Louisiana? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

It's so amazing the Sabals look like nothing happened, yet the Trachys got completely defoliated.  Not what I would've expected.  

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jtee
3 hours ago, teddytn said:

@TonyDFW Tony the palm, front right in the pictures near the road, is that a Sabal Louisiana? 

It looks like a Sabal Lisa, whatever it is it’s a good looking palm.  Oh and I think there is a Sabal Louisiana on the curb also. And those Trachy’s are some of the tallest I’ve ever seen. Maybe trachy’s love Texas weather idk. I had a trachy’s when I lived down by San Antonio and that things took off like a rocket. Anyways I’m glad he updated, I enjoy seeing his yard. 

Edited by Jtee
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryland

It's interesting to see that the Chamaerops with several trunks lost all the trunks but survived from the ground!  I'm pleasantly surprised about the Brahea.  Shame to lose some of those nice Butia though!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ

What bamboo is that? Clumper or runner?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen

Still going to be a really nice yard when everything fully recovers.  Those Trachy were tall!  Shame on the big butia loss.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tlow

Absolutely incredible.. I don't think people give Sabals enough credit.  It's honestly why 95% of our 150 or so palms around the property are sabals, of literally all varieties (all cold hardy).  If they can get through what we had last year, which is one of those lifetime events, then I will take the slower growth.  The diversity of the Sabals is also quite incredible. 

After seeing Tony's S. Lisa last year, I've picked up four... lol... love the mutants!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW
On 1/26/2022 at 7:22 PM, Chester B said:

It's so amazing the Sabals look like nothing happened, yet the Trachys got completely defoliated.  Not what I would've expected.  

Sabal Louisiana to the right and Sabal minor to the left. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

(Butia x Jubea) x Jubea in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 

95411BD5-6FD5-439E-81C5-67B5230300CB.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

C. Humilis cerifera in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
trunk hardy. Green form died to ground. 

B3E6D382-6873-4836-853F-660766198785.jpeg

A441915D-052F-441E-BC9F-889EA021F32C.jpeg

2764208C-59A1-4D6F-8DBE-582DC787A9F4.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

Bra Oria county Palm  in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
no foliage damage after freeze. 

 

chamaedorea microspadix. Killed to ground. 

38E84DB3-B982-4663-8566-B5D5E21FCE37.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

Sabal mexicana in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
Defoliated spear pull, this much growth produced in one growing season. Nog a flow growing plant. 

BBD50B96-A1D5-415E-8CD5-AF386B345683.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

Blue jubea in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
defoliated and spear pull 

C564D57E-5C4A-4129-955F-F3F8C5A9F1A4.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

R. Hysteric. in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
no damage at all 

E7BEE403-F042-440D-B5EC-F787E4B13383.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

Sabal uresana  in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
defoliated

F5AB3E3B-6B0E-4CB9-A680-83CA6EB9E6E0.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyDFW

Sabal Birmingham  in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
no foliage damage 

CF1B3E12-F638-4FBE-AB9B-3CEFF5C4C192.jpeg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen

Thanks for the pic update.  Helps me see what to grow here!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

@TonyDFW thanks for sharing.  Love to see your palms, and I am really happy most rebounded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jtee

My favorite yard on these palm forums. Love seeing updates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn

Everyone should really take a look at their palm collection and add more sabals, Americas original cold hardy palm

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Hope the filibusta pulls through as it’s looking like 14-15 degrees next week up there. Has to be tallest one in Dallas that survived 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
strongbad635

Hope everything will be ok after next weekend, calling for another DEEP freeze in DFW.

 

IMG_3388.thumb.PNG.903469c8ea6fb6681cb97ca631100248.PNG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

Not much better in the Austin area 

671C125C-8B58-40A9-A1C0-DBC196D7AA1B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Accuweather is saying low of 21, weather.com is saying 22 for Austin. Not looking good. Everything will be covered in ice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Worried about ones like this 

E9B3B4F6-0D1D-4E2F-B269-0A0BA8467A85.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

We are slightly cooler in Leander, although typically we get less precipitation than Austin. I left South Austin at 7pm during that last front a week or so ago, everything was was wet and covered in ice with sleet falling. 27 miles away in Leander was dry and stayed dry overnight. Temperatures keep dropping. I’ve already started covering in advance.

D370717B-FCA1-49C1-8FEA-0B1832C662FA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

Dallas is looking grim

8D18568E-2F2E-4D41-BA02-9ACA5A148A50.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
5 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Worried about ones like this 

E9B3B4F6-0D1D-4E2F-B269-0A0BA8467A85.jpeg

Here are a couple from Bryan, Tx that are starting to go down hill already after mid 20s. One very skinny one came back this spring, but is dead now.

825ABE1A-60AA-4E7C-ADB4-220AA789606C.jpeg
 

A mile away is another with same stunted growth and winter burn damage already.

6E8658F8-D0A7-49CB-B5AD-3E48B7B9E6F3.jpeg

D18F11D0-E7B6-49E4-9354-D3F0A0FD653A.png

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
On 1/28/2022 at 6:53 PM, TonyDFW said:

(Butia x Jubea) x Jubea in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 

95411BD5-6FD5-439E-81C5-67B5230300CB.jpeg

Where did you purchase this guy? I'd love one for my yard! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toddmin
On 1/26/2022 at 7:42 PM, TonyDFW said:

C34E6321-B3E7-4B9A-8F9E-5D95D84A6434.jpeg

20AC9CC9-2BB5-4898-8C37-60D478548EF2.jpeg

AB402B98-A196-4ABF-B0C8-6042D2166310.jpeg

38F79D2D-A7DD-4193-A246-D61F13DD537A.jpeg

What is the silver palm near the corner of the house?  Is it a Bismarkia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z
29 minutes ago, Toddmin said:

What is the silver palm near the corner of the house?  Is it a Bismarkia?

Brahea Armata 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

Hopefully all your palms make it through, crazy two years in a row for Dallas.

4A1B5482-82A9-4840-A76B-6939563B33F5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tlow
11 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Hopefully all your palms make it through, crazy two years in a row for Dallas.

4A1B5482-82A9-4840-A76B-6939563B33F5.jpeg

The weather forecasts vary wildly, but I trust and key in off our my backyard weather station.. this weather flow tempest is stupid accurate... always versus the national weather service.  Look at all of the big beautiful sun coming up, and above freezing temperatures... 


People.. if you need anymore of a reason to plant and have a metric crap ton of cold hardy sabals.. look at the pictures above.. Sabals deserve some love and respect.  Most, are bulletproof here, regardless of what we get outside.  The proof is in the pictures.  I only covered mine because they are year one in the ground 3 year olds, but never again.

 

image.thumb.png.33d524c144d509aaf99812e984c75e55.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
On 1/28/2022 at 7:03 PM, TonyDFW said:

Sabal Birmingham  in Dallas one growing season after 3F and 10 consecutive days below freezing. 
no foliage damage 

CF1B3E12-F638-4FBE-AB9B-3CEFF5C4C192.jpeg

We have a bunch of these here in Raleigh NC, Zone 7b. Many are well over 40 years old. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tlow
3 minutes ago, knikfar said:

We have a bunch of these here in Raleigh NC, Zone 7b. Many are well over 40 years old. 

This thread, honestly... @teddytn and I were talking about this but everyone should build their palm collection on these S. Birmingham, S. Louisiana, and S. Brazoriensis, with a smattering of the massive variety of S. Minor.  From there, build the more "vulnerable" ones, other trunking sabals, etc... these are bulletproof, and this thread really opens my eyes and further validates what I am doing here.  Who the hell wants to get up in a cherry picker couple times a year to cover a W. Filifera?  Just seems dumb.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
8 minutes ago, tlow said:

This thread, honestly... @teddytn and I were talking about this but everyone should build their palm collection on these S. Birmingham, S. Louisiana, and S. Brazoriensis, with a smattering of the massive variety of S. Minor.  From there, build the more "vulnerable" ones, other trunking sabals, etc... these are bulletproof, and this thread really opens my eyes and further validates what I am doing here.  Who the hell wants to get up in a cherry picker couple times a year to cover a W. Filifera?  Just seems dumb.

I'm with you. I have a single butia that I've commited to protecting. Other than that, I only have palms I dont have to protect including Sabal Birmingham, Sabal Bald Head Island, Sabal Braziorensis, Mediterranean fan palm, and a variety of trachys and sagos.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tlow
1 minute ago, knikfar said:

I'm with you. I have a single butia that I've commited to protecting. Other than that, I only have palms I dont have to protect including Sabal Birmingham, Sabal Bald Head Island, Sabal Braziorensis, Mediterranean fan palm, and a variety of trachys and sagos.  

Perfect!  My only ones I get concerned about, but likely shouldn't is S. Bermudana (have two which took 17 on multiple occasions didn't blink) a S. Urensas (looking above at Tony's, I shouldn't worry as it grows), and a couple of Butias that are likely nuked after this, but that's OK.  I can replace them with more of the bulletproof ones from above.

I'll end up having 30-50+ S. Minors of many varieties and a grand total of 150 or so palms when I'm done, all cold hardy, so no protecting for me.  That's for suckers!  I'd rather sit back in the house for the day or two of bad weather, have a beer and remember the summer and heat that is coming very soon.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen
20 minutes ago, tlow said:

Perfect!  My only ones I get concerned about, but likely shouldn't is S. Bermudana (have two which took 17 on multiple occasions didn't blink) a S. Urensas (looking above at Tony's, I shouldn't worry as it grows), and a couple of Butias that are likely nuked after this, but that's OK.  I can replace them with more of the bulletproof ones from above.

I'll end up having 30-50+ S. Minors of many varieties and a grand total of 150 or so palms when I'm done, all cold hardy, so no protecting for me.  That's for suckers!  I'd rather sit back in the house for the day or two of bad weather, have a beer and remember the summer and heat that is coming very soon.

Agree! Just look at my signature at those minors and needles!  But I have a bone to pick about the protecting palms.   I pretty much have to if I want to have anything and honestly most people probably spend more time mowing their grass a couple times or raking leaves than I do protecting about 9 palms (Trachy, butia, mule).  I'd say 4 hours per year total time. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tlow
1 hour ago, Allen said:

Agree! Just look at my signature at those minors and needles!  But I have a bone to pick about the protecting palms.   I pretty much have to if I want to have anything and honestly most people probably spend more time mowing their grass a couple times or raking leaves than I do protecting about 9 palms (Trachy, butia, mule).  I'd say 4 hours per year total time. 

protect away.. I have some trachys here that if they don't make it, so be it.. I'd probably be happier long term and the look isn't exactly what I want long term anyways,.. if it can't survive on its own post the first winter... it doesn't belong here!

My biggest and most concerning one would be the S. Causarium.  The parent mine came from took 12F, lived, and had minor foliar damage, so it's likely hardier into the single digits.. It's young, first year outside, so we'll see how it did through this.  It took 17 without even a burn on its leaves, and even pushed out a new spear, and expanded it days later.  Sabals are tough as nails!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...