mercwalters

chamaedorea metallica discolored leaves help!

mercwalters

I am new to palms and received my first palm, chamaedorea metallica, a week ago from an online seller. upon arrival the plant looked healthy but had some weird looking variegation on its leaves with the metallic sheen portions surrounds by a black border (see below)

as the days have progressed the leaves have gotten a white rim around the metallic sections and very stiff and dry. the plant is still in its nursery pot and needs a repot but i’m trying to let it acclimate first. 

any insights as to what may be going on would be much appreciated!

CE98B535-9C88-4562-8D9C-A2AC703FB9AC.jpeg

8791C48F-60D2-4282-A151-602C7066C805.jpeg

EC179DAE-CF28-4F40-9FDF-8740E877831B.jpeg

lzorrito

Most probably root issues. Possible overwatering...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Becky
      By Becky
      Hi,
      I bought this (kentia?) palm about 9 weeks ago, knowing literally nothing about plants. It started off doing ok, looking good. But over the last couple of weeks there has been a rapid decline. 

It has started drooping? Yellowing/browning. It just looks really sorry for itself. From what I read overwatering was a major risk so I kept watering to about 500ml once a week (or less if the soil was still damp). 

There is no drainage in the pot and it’s in the soil it came with. It’s kept out of direct sunlight but in a bright room which sits between 20-24oC. I occasionally spray it with a water mist (about 2-3 times a week). 

Happy to do anything to help it so all suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance! 

• Cindy Adair
      By Cindy Adair
      On December 17, 2021 I received 5 seeds from RPS. 1 floated, 4 sunk, but I put them all in moist sphagnum moss in a plastic bag after soaking them in water for a few days.

I mostly use community pots, but have also had luck with the baggie method and wanted to visualize any success with minimal seed disturbance. Much easier in a clear bag.
      I kept a group of such bags in a plastic bowl on a chair in the shade on my porch despite the now chilly (to me) night time lows down to 65 but highs about 82 F.
      In a day or two I saw black mold on the floating seed, removed it and put it in an isolated bag after cleaning and H2O2 treatment. I discarded it later as it was becoming soft and more black.
      In one week I saw the first evidence of germination among the four remaining! 
      See the small whitish “button” below.

Today three show various stages of life from one more at the button stage to one with an actual root.

I quickly covered them back up with sphagnum next to some other bags for warmth and (wearing a jacket myself as it is still only 70 F) I wrote this post.
      Clearly I am fully acclimated to tropical temperatures where anything below 75 with my normal breezes feels cold... It will be 80 soon so I will thaw.

My questions are these:
      When is the best stage to remove the germinating seeds from the bag?

And do I keep them in some sphagnum just mixing in my usual potting mix?
      Plus for this species that apparently dislikes being moved and has a long first root, what height/width of pot to choose?
      I have waited until leaves are visible on some species like Verschaffeltia and without hesitation popped them into a four inch pot or whatever is handy into all potting mix and they didn’t miss a beat.
      But I really want all of these to live to be planted out so am seeking general advice on making the baggie to pot transition plus any hints on Joey palm seed/seedling handling.
      Thanks so much! 

• John2468
      By John2468
      Hello everyone!!
      I recently received this palm from a seller on EBay. It came with its stem wrinkled and a broken spear. The stem is still hard and not mushy. How can I save this palm? Thanks!!

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Chamaedorea metallica is one of the neatest and most unique species in the genus. It is one of the easiest species to grow and should be much more available. Each solitary stem is the diameter of a pencil and bears dark green bifid leaves (pinnate form is rarer) with a bluish sheen that gives it its name. And it is able to tolerate my alkaline sandy soil. I planted an understory grove of them in our back yard jungle. They flower and while I've yet to find a single ripe seed, I've noticed small seedlings popping up. I also place pots of them around the jungle. Here's to a palm that needs to be seen more.
      Chamaedorea metallica, Cape Coral, FL 2021

Pinnate Form

• Howeadypsis
      By Howeadypsis
      It seems my C.metallica is fruiting. Two green berries at the end of a flower stem. The other flower stems dried up ages ago but one stayed fleshy and put out two fruits. Funny thing is I thought it was a dioecious species, and I dont know anyone nearby with palms. Weird.