IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone Poll

MonkeDonkezz

What usda zone are you in?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Yeah, I like posting stuff a lot lol. I am just wondering what the usda zones of the posters on the cold hardy forum are. If you are on the border of 2 zones are are very close to one zone choose the last option and reply in the comments.

• Zone 9a
    • Zone 8b
    • Zone 7b
    • Zone 7a
    • Zone 6b
    • Zone 6a
    • Zone 5b
    • Zone 5a
    • Zone 4b
    • Zone 4a
    • Zone 3b
    • Zone 3a
    • Zones lower than 3a
    • Zones higher than 9a
    • 2 zones

I am in 7a due to me being located near a swampy forest, but about a block from me is also zone 7b.

Edited by MonkeDonkezz
  • Like 1

Just now, MonkeDonkezz said:

Also tell me if this poll was done before.

I cannot recall. Good idea. Kinda curious what it will turn out to be. You might want to add 9b and even 10 as those people do get freezes and sometimes still post here (or at least have an interest in cold hardy). 

• Like 2

I am on the border of 8a/8b; I chose 8b, as it was the only zone 8 option listed. 

• Like 5

Vashon island Washington 8b, I have 9a microclimates on my 3acres south facing home and property. 

• Like 4

I'm 7a but lots of 8b peeps.  That's a good zone to push and actually grow a few palms that will survive.

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I'm 7a. Due to being on a higher elevation, it cools my area significantly compared to surrounding areas. I debated on whether to put 2 zones or not because the old 2012 map actually puts me in 6b but through my own observations through recent years, I have concluded my area is now 7a at an average of around 4 degrees as the lowest low per year in Fahrenheit. Also, the 2015 map from arbor day website which goes off of more recent years agrees that my area is 7a. We are rarely below zero. About an hour south is 7b. How unfair. Even an arguable zone 8a or at the least 7b in Knoxville is only about an hour or so away.  There is no way Knoxville is only 7a. The heat island is not fairly represented there. The 2012 zone map is a little outdated and is in need of updating. But I guess if you are the conservative type, you may enjoy it more.

Edited by maskedmole
  • Like 2

Lowest lows per year 2007-2019: 7F,  5F0F7F3.9F14F14F, -8.9F, 0.1F, 7.2F, 1.2F, -0.8F, 10.2F..... Averaged: 4.6F

9a leaning to a 9b due to being on an island and surrounded by water. Although it can get cold here and this Sunday it will be 28f around 5am and bouncing up to 51 in the day. A cold day though.

Edited by KDubU
  • Like 1

I am a technically zone 7B but we always have zone 8A and even 8B winters

• Like 2

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

"I am a technically zone 7B but we always have zone 8A and even 8B winters."

Zones are based on 30 year average minimums, not just the last 4-5 we happen to remember, or what one may "feel".  What's 4 years in the life of a tree? Nothing!

If you were Zone 8A/8B, there'd be Sabal palmettos all around you by now.  Newark is a solid 7B (which in fact, was bumped up from a 7a not too long ago), based on something that has become highly controversial and political in this country these days..., namely, scientific DATA! 

Edited by oasis371
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

Zones are based on 30 year average minimums, not just the last 4-5 we happen to remember, or what one may "feel".  What's 4 years in the life of a tree? Nothing!

If you were Zone 8A/8B, there'd be Sabal palmettos all around you by now.  Newark is a solid 7B (which in fact, was bumped up from a 7a not too long ago), based on something that has become highly controversial and political in this country these days..., namely, scientific DATA! 

I'm a solid 8a, but there aren't "palmettos all over".. I wish there was, but that's likely because they are overlooked and people want the Washingtonias that are sold at stores.. they get nuked every decade or so sadly.  I've got an entire property full of Sabals, dozens of different types and hope to start spreading Sabals here.. They are rock solid here and under-rated, and overlooked... @teddytn

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

41 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

I told you that it's just because bo one has ever tried to grow anything other that trachycarpus here and I will grow what ever I want! No matter what you say!

• Like 2

Also have you ever heard of climate change things are just going to get warmer!

• Like 2

Just now, EJ NJ said:

Also have you ever heard of climate change things are just going to get warmer!

I'm actually waiting for the ice age that was to come in the 90's, then we can move onto global warming lol.

• Like 2

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

"Also have you ever heard of climate change things are just going to get warmer!"

No doubt, but little comfort to MIAMI this weekend, when it'll be dropping into the upper 30's..  Extremes will STILL occur, perhaps even MORE frequently than the historical norm would suggest as the climate system is unstable, in flux, and perhaps moving to a new state of normal.

"I told you that it's just because bo one has ever tried to grow anything other that trachycarpus here and I will grow what ever I want! No matter what you say!"

So assuming you also see groves of Trachycarpus fortunei.

P.S., Maybe try coconuts

• Like 1

Sometimes if you're new (which I am not) to gardening, false info is readily available and give gardeners wrong info. Proof here on this zone map of my region, stating I'm in zone 9a. Not only that, many areas of the map don't reflect reality with many errors. I'm largely zone zone 8b with 8a winters every 15 years or so.

Screenshot 2022.jpg

Edited by Las Palmas Norte
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7a here in middle TN. Nothing new to discuss zones and what’s possible and what’s not. To reiterate what has been said many times zone rating doesn’t fully capture what you will be able to grow. Even if a given locales temps don’t drop too low during the winter and would technically get a higher zone rating. The cumulative hours below freezing or close to, over a span of 5 months up north is not conducive to growing palms unprotected (east coast up north). Trachycarpus being an exception here, but Sabal minor and even needle palm may not die out right, but really need summer heat to thrive. Something people always overlook, what about ground temps during winter…if the ground regularly freezes solid or remains frozen for a good stretch over winter, again not conducive to having thriving palms. Plant whatever you want of course, use your microclimates at your house. Planting against a foundation gives at least half zone of hardiness better imo. Add protection to that and of course almost anything is possible. All depends on what kind of trouble you’re willing to go through to say you have something planted at your house.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimhardy said:

Z5b

52556 Southeast Iowa

SAM_2015.JPG

Are those Tetrapanex trees on the left?

• Like 1

Im in Zone 6

...... this winter has been zone 7b so far

My palms are still happy and January is almost over 

• Like 3

Abq airport long term avg is 10f..  avg lowest for Dec and jan. Is 12/14f.. so.. 7b/8a.. this winter so far is 8b...

There are warmer parts of the city that are 1-3 degrees warmer....and opposite for valley locales.. I run about 2f warmer.. depending.

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 3

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I guess numerically I'm low end 9b for the last 30 years (yes, even including the 12F massacre last year). I like to pretend it's borderline 10a but sooner or later the zone 8 reality hits. 

So kind of warm 9a-ish? Just warm enough for big queens and borderline decent Bismarckia (until it isn't) 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

2 minutes ago, MonkeDonkezz said:

Sorry everyone for the inconvenience , I forgot to add 8a

Just write it in the comments

I'm 8B this winter so far (19F)  , and 8B last winter (19F) and 9A the previous winter ( 20F) , and I have averaged 12F+ for the lowest Lows for the  last 30years , but according to the zone map I'm 7B , which is reasonable considering I will surely have a 7B winter within a few years  most likely .

Will

Edited by Will Simpson

As has been said above, while gardening zones ARE useful, they are just ONE measure of data useful in determining hardiness.

Last year, while South Texas froze, my minimum was 14 F (Zone 8)..., but we had two feet of snow that refused to melt for weeks in February due to persistent cold.  I had an unprotected Trachycarpus (windmill) that had spear pull.  This winter our minimum was 7 F.  (Zone 7B), but so far, much drier, and I decided to cover and heat with lights, despite the fact that December was ridiculously WARM.  In a normal year,  I  basically have to get through JANUARY here. Especially recently, Decembers being a continuation of summer warmth, January is freakin' January, and February is ALL OVER THE PLACE!

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

As has been said above, while gardening zones ARE useful, they are just ONE measure of data useful in determining hardiness. ...

No truer words have been mentioned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will Simpson said:

I'm 8B this winter so far (19F)  , and 8B last winter (19F) and 9A the previous winter ( 20F) , and I have averaged 12F+ for the lowest Lows for the  last 30years , but according to the zone map I'm 7B , which is reasonable considering I will surely have a 7B winter within a few years  most likely .

Will

Map is outdated. If 30 years says 12f is your avg annual minimum, then you are 8a.