IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Majesty Palms, my latest obsession!

oasis371

OMG, I never thought I would feel this way, I love my majesty palm!  Believe me, I know their reputation, have experienced it personally, have lost quite a few over the years. So today, I went to a big box store where these plants were practically given away maybe a year ago, now so freakin' expensive!   May be the time of the year. I went to purchase another one but would not pay their prices for ones that did not even look good. Will try later in the year. They definitely are not the easiest palm to grow in the house, so if you're not a plant/palm NUT, choose another palm, please.  I grow mine outside from May into October, then in goes into my garage until it gets too cold (January), and now it's in a bright, semi-underground basement, with lots of other plants.  I have it in a deep container, but not excessively large pot and this pot is in a larger bucket.  They do NOT like dryness, neither in the air or at the roots.  Forget the standard info you get on palms on letting them dry between waterings, these palms are WATER LOVERS big time.  I will walk by it and water it, without even feeling the soil.  I think their biggest issues with the average winter home (especially in the North) are..., too warm, too low humidity, and too infrequent watering. Determined to add more to the palm hoard and become the Majesty master of the North!

• Like 2

They also like well-draining soil and can suffer/die from root rot if planted in mucky soil in spite of their love of water.  They are nice palms :)

Jon Sunder

I’ve killed many a majesty up north in NY, with slight dampness and dry indoor air.  I considered them biannuals, and a great success if I could get them to last 2years there.  

In Florida, I got 3 for pots outside by the pool.   I keep them in muck and wood chips, and pretty much keep their saucers full of 2-4 inches of freestanding water all the time….

This is June 2020… outdoors all the time…..3677CE99-E463-4ED0-8D02-56911F82B203.thumb.jpeg.004716ec1a0188f112c7524b0fcaebf9.jpeg

September 2021…..

17B8D403-0E30-436D-8163-77FA7D469A98.thumb.jpeg.b74a3538c57dc89a0ded9a86c4158023.jpeg

January 2022….  

19985AD8-5AF2-45F7-B629-524232FA60FB.thumb.jpeg.964df814599762520bfd61a5b52c4bd4.jpeg

And that one is the smallest of the three…  

They seem to tolerate sogginess outdoors with heat and humidity.  They bleach a bit in full sun here.   They are hungry and thirsty all the time.  By summer they will have outgrown their pots, and probably their time here.   Next time I’m going to put something slower growing and more rare in those pots.  

If I had the right soil, I’d put them in the ground, but it’s too sandy here.   I really love how these look big in the ground….  They can turn into real studs.  

(Stolen pic from net)…

B52F4382-7852-4C80-AE24-1C27A41D92E1.jpeg.2f7c9f02e5f2d00f48628369cfa87887.jpeg

Try a Chamaerops humilis too, will ya.   I never did, and always wondered how it would have done as an indoor/outdoor palm up north.  

• Like 5

I love them full size, to me, they are easy they just want to be outside a little, although mine don't look as good as yours they definately don't deserve the hate. I might even say they are my favorite palm when tree size.

• Like 2

Indoor dry air worked with majesty’s no problem. It’s not like their in a hot desert with dry winds. Well draining soil for sure! Also only water when needed.  Meaning schedules don’t work for me anyway. Check the soil first. Supplemental light works wonders as well. I have a new video coming up for this Palm Sunday about some new led plant grow lights with adjustable spectrums. Stay tuned to southern Ontario palms and tropicals 

"Indoor dry air worked with majesty’s, no problem. It’s not like they're in a hot desert with dry winds. Well draining soil for sure! Also only water when needed.  Meaning schedules don’t work for me anyway. Check the soil"

I disagree completely. Dry interior air IS a deleterious factor.  They need WATER in abundance, no need to check the soil when watering, as long as the soil is well draining.  More of these palms are being killed from excessive aridness in North American homes than excessive wetness.  These palms are rheophytes. Look it up.

If you ever find the secret sauce for indoors, post it.  I’d love to hear about it.  

I used to get one in spring up north, and put it outside were it would grow like crazy.  Then I’d bring it in come fall, and it would slowly decline over winter.  Then in spring it would go back out and commence growth until fall again.   But they never seemed to grown enough to make it through the 2nd winter’s “starving time”.   

I’m not sure if it’s the lack of sunlight, dryness, cooler air, fertilizer salt buildup, lack of predators for mites and mealies, cool-wet soil, or likely a combination of all of them that would slowly do them in.  

I’m better at feeding and recognizing little problems with palms and solving them now, but I’m not sure it would make a huge difference under these conditions.  

They do love hot, humid weather outside and will take as much water as you can give out there.  The 1st summer they were a little pale in potting mix, so I mixed composted manure,  peat, and some leftover wood mulch I use around the house, and just put them back in that, and they were happier.  I water them whenever the saucers are low, and they get washed out by rain regularly, sitting in water basically all the time, even now in January.  

I’m sure that treatment would rot them in a week indoors, but outside, they are fine. 

They look best in part sun, but I position them around out back in summer to shade the chairs…. full, all day Florida sun in the summer, makes them not-so dark green.  

Great palms though.  One of my favorites.  I guess I like big bottoms and fluffy tops.  

Edited by Looking Glass

8 months growth. I bring it inside when it’s below 40 at night and it gets only an hour of direct sun per day right now. 

Also, a palmetto seedling popped up in the pot and roots were already too deep to pull it out without killing it. Will probably repot this spring and try to deal with it then 

492D73FF-0D72-4DB8-B69B-3BD1B85B0877.png

1FE4CE49-E19A-4625-9237-07B38555DB79.jpeg

8DC53964-2F06-48E8-A5BF-634ADD2346D5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

8 months growth. I bring it inside when it’s below 40 at night and it gets only an hour of direct sun per day right now. 

Also, a palmetto seedling popped up in the pot and roots were already too deep to pull it out without killing it. Will probably repot this spring and try to deal with it then 

492D73FF-0D72-4DB8-B69B-3BD1B85B0877.png

1FE4CE49-E19A-4625-9237-07B38555DB79.jpeg

8DC53964-2F06-48E8-A5BF-634ADD2346D5.jpeg

Apartment patio jungles ftw. 

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Apartment patio jungles ftw. 

Got about a hundred Washingtonia hybrid seedlings on my balcony as well 

767F4194-4FC3-4D51-8EB3-611067567B5C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1