Ilovepalm

Beccariophoenix Alfredii in pots

Ilovepalm

Hi Guys. :)

I bought 10 seeds of beccariophoenix alfredii. I have read all the topics on this palmtalk forum, but they are about the palm tree in the garden. And I would like to advise you, what is the best substrate mixture for b.alfredii at home, in a pot, for  germinated seeds? Some write, that she likes a lot of water, others that he prefers dry subsoil. I am asking for advice.

IMG_20220125_180820_edit_10704253121282.jpg

Rickybobby

I have some of these. I always use coco and perlite too my own mix. Usually extra perlite to fluff the soil they will do fine. Lots of drainage out the bottom 

• Like 1

Ilovepalm
13 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

I have some of these. I always use coco and perlite too my own mix. Usually extra perlite to fluff the soil they will do fine. Lots of drainage out the bottom 

I planted the seeds in only moist perlite. They are under the foil on a warm radiator, but after 24 hours the perlite with the seeds he became dry.

IMG_20220126_151330_edit_29722497306922.jpg

lzorrito

Coco coir and perlite, and that's it.

Scott W

For germinating seeds I used to use a 50/50 mix of perlite and peat moss, which was used for my B. Alfredii seeds last year.  Did not use any bottom heat for these either but the community tubs were in my outdoor greenhouse.

Latest batch of xButiagrus seeds I switched to about a 70/30 mix with bottom heat.

PalmsandLiszt
On 1/25/2022 at 5:11 PM, Ilovepalm said:

Hi Guys. :)

I bought 10 seeds of beccariophoenix alfredii. I have read all the topics on this palmtalk forum, but they are about the palm tree in the garden. And I would like to advise you, what is the best substrate mixture for b.alfredii at home, in a pot, for  germinated seeds? Some write, that she likes a lot of water, others that he prefers dry subsoil. I am asking for advice.

IMG_20220125_180820_edit_10704253121282.jpg

My seedling (maybe 2-3 years old from seed) doesn't seem at all fussy; it sucks up water very quickly, but doesn't seem to suffer when the medium dries out for a few days. Just ensure the medium is very free draining so as to prevent root rot. In the wild these seem to grow in pretty rocky ground on hillsides where water will quickly run off. They also cluster around the margins of rivers and streams, presumably to tap in to a permanent source of ground water.

When I repot mine come springtime I'll probably treat it like a green cycad, with ~50% organics (lots of pine bark and some peat-based) and seramis/pumice/perlite mix plus slow-release. For germinating seeds, the first few leaves will be nourished mostly by the large seed, so it will depend what you are potting it in and how long it will be there. Coir/perlite probably works in the short-term, but neither of these are good at making essential nutrients bioavailable once the seed runs out.

Edited by PalmsandLiszt