IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brachychiton acerifolius

WaianaeCrider

The Australian Flame tree, Brachychiton acerifolius is/was one of the most beautiful trees I have/had in the yard.  Each summer around my May birthday it has lost all it's leaves and is covered in red flowers.  BUT it is dropping leaves ALL YEAR long and in the summer it drops ALL of it's leaves.  I got tired of raking leaves about every other day and today I paid $1000 to have it REMOVED/CUT DOWN.  Gonna miss in this coming May but I will NOT miss the damm leaves.  It went in the ground around 2005 from a seedling that I raised from seed.  I still have two others on the property way back where I don't worry about the leaves.

May 2008 That's Rhapis excelsa planted around it which I have also removed as they were taking over the yard.Steps-2008-01-18.thumb.JPG.fbd0dc9364955a1365fdb637b91b737a.JPG

2009 I was a fast grower.

FlameFront23May09a.thumb.JPG.e4a42e71d702e8b18861ca1715749e70.JPG

FlameTreeFront2010-05-16.jpg.9781465586fecbd41d10488fb98d7285.jpg

Today January 2022

20220124_081951.thumb.jpg.653d35ff357aeac1624ca7f2784c4f2a.jpg

20220124_084645.thumb.jpg.ea6de2a24aa01c699edd6c0dfb013961.jpg

20220124_090500.thumb.jpg.57f9b99c31e7d40e20c83989e42bff8a.jpg

20220124_115109.thumb.jpg.f6649b6935985c7e184f34e8a6d464c9.jpg

20220124_114230.thumb.jpg.2a1b8b74816635cbe56491b9aa6eec8a.jpg

• Like 3

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

220px-Emoticon_Face_Frown_GE.png

• Like 2

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

5 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

220px-Emoticon_Face_Frown_GE.png

Yea I loved the way it was it total flower for my birthday every May.  But I won't miss the #$&*## leaves. EVERY DAY.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

We have a garden tool in the United States that we call a "rake." They're most effective in moving leaves away from where you don't want them.

I'm being facetious, but I've noticed in recent years people tend to choose leaf-blowers in preference to rakes. When I lived in New England at the end of a cul-de-sac, I had a tiny wedge-shaped lawn that I could rake clean of leaves in about five minutes. My next-door neighbor, who had the same-size lawn and amount of leaves, would be out there with his leaf-blower whining and belching smoke for what seemed like forever nudging his leaves to the curb. In my new location, I'm seeing (and hearing!) the same thing. I'm tempted to go over to my neighbor's house with a rake in hand and give them a lecture. Gee, I wonder how that would go over?

Your pictures showed that the tree removal was a wise choice, but now I'll miss those flowers in what is my birth month too.

• Like 2

Just got tired of using the rake every day.  LOL

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

35 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Just got tired of using the rake every day.  LOL

I don't blame you; it was awkwardly located. Are gas-powered leaf-blowers legal in Hawai'i? They're going to outlaw them in Connecticut, I've been told.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Manalto said:

I don't blame you; it was awkwardly located. Are gas-powered leaf-blowers legal in Hawai'i? They're going to outlaw them in Connecticut, I've been told.

Yes  still legal.  The Calf nuts not here yet.  LOL

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Aw man, totally sucks to lose a tree like that. I have 2 on my street. No issues yet with leaf litter, and luckily, no gas powered blowers for California, so I don't have to smell the fumes or hear the endless revving :lol:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

The bees are gonna  miss the flowers more than me missing the leaf clean up.  LOL  But they love the flowers on my palms.  All year long something is in flower and the bees love it.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Sad little story there.......  Wish I had that problem!   Too bad you had to remove it.  Any replacement ideas in it's old spot?

1 hour ago, jimmyt said:

Sad little story there.......  Wish I had that problem!   Too bad you had to remove it.  Any replacement ideas in it's old spot?

Gonna replace everything along the fence with a hedge of as many different Hibiscus as I can find. or afford.  Already have a very old "plain old" red in the ground.  I took cuttings from one found growing next to a VERY old small irrigation diversion dam about 2 hours hike in (from the coast) a near by valley.  There are about 4 plants there growing in the shade of a variety of much taller trees.

Red (IcyPond).jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Good move.  The leaf drop is constant.  I removed mine years ago.  However I have a fairly big B. discolor in the back.  I removed all the branches already.  The only thing to do is chain saw.  Never again.  Haha... grew this from seed too.

20210716_100114.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 7:58 PM, WaianaeCrider said:

Gonna replace everything along the fence with a hedge of as many different Hibiscus as I can find. or afford.  Already have a very old "plain old" red in the ground.  I took cuttings from one found growing next to a VERY old small irrigation diversion dam about 2 hours hike in (from the coast) a near by valley.  There are about 4 plants there growing in the shade of a variety of much taller trees.

Red (IcyPond).jpg

MUCH MUCH BETTER!

Hmm. I'd have run screaming and told you to rip your B. acerfolius out immediately after planting.

I love the flowers on B. acerfolius, but the tree is a monster, as you've come to know.

Some genius decided to use them as "street trees" in La Habra, in the "treelawns" next to the streets between the sidewalks, which are about three feet (1M) wide. Like keeping Great Danes in "tiny houses."

A long time ago, I was good friends with a fellow plant person, and he and I went through Huntington Beach, and ran across a flame tree in an old lady's yard. That thing was breathtaking in full bloom like it was right then. It looked like a lava fountain spouting out of the ground, solid red, 50 feet tall. Words just don't quite do it, but I know  you'd understand. But the roots were three feet thick in places and it had badly torn up parts of her house.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 1/28/2022 at 2:10 PM, jimmyt said:

That will look great!  Seems I remember seeing bougainvilleas used as hedges too. 

Bogies would make great barriers in a gulag or death camp, too, all those thorns.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My Flame tree was enormous and ended up thickly covered in Philodendrons .

Rot set in and the whole thing came down in a heap.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.