IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

More dumb questions(feeding)

JohnAndSancho

So, I've got a lot of palms that stay indoors year round. Should I feed them despite the fact that winter is here? Among my year round indoor palms are a C. Cataractarum, L. Weddellanium, Kentia, lady palm, and a. Tuckerii. Non palms include a monstera and various draecaena. 

Fwiw I have Jobes organic palm food, Carl Pool slow release, Jobes palm spikes, and super stinky Alaska fish palm food that I can add to water 

I don't think your question is at all dumb. Many people totally refrain from feeding, but I think it really depends on your personal situation (where you live, light conditions, plant types, etc.)

I never feed the cacti or succulents when they are inside (almost all my plants season outside in the growing season). I only feed inside if they are in good light and growth (southern exposures or under lights)

LOL, I have that same stinky Alaskan, fish emulsion.  Actually, that is what I usually feed my indoor plants over the winter.  So, I would stop feeding in mid Autumn and only start light feeding later in January, I get a decent amount of winter sun inside.  But I mixed it up this year by using what was probably less than half strength application of Osmocoat.  Palms are relatively heavy feeders but don't overdo it, everything in moderation as they say.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, oasis371 said:

I don't think your question is at all dumb. Many people totally refrain from feeding, but I think it really depends on your personal situation (where you live, light conditions, plant types, etc.)

I never feed the cacti or succulents when they are inside (almost all my plants season outside in the growing season). I only feed inside if they are in good light and growth (southern exposures or under lights)

LOL, I have that same stinky Alaskan, fish emulsion.  Actually, that is what I usually feed my indoor plants over the winter.  So, I would stop feeding in mid Autumn and only start light feeding later in January, I get a decent amount of winter sun inside.  But I mixed it up this year by using what was probably less than half strength application of Osmocoat.  Palms are relatively heavy feeders but don't overdo it, everything in moderation as they say.

Good luck!

Good to know. The palms I usually keep indoors are all under led grow lights, and I've got a couple in soilless medium, so I'll just give them slightly less stinky "stink water" every other week. 

If the palms are always indoors and you use soil like I do. Coco and perlite than they get no nutrients so I fertilize indoors every 3 months 

On 1/20/2022 at 4:19 AM, JohnAndSancho said:

So, I've got a lot of palms that stay indoors year round. Should I feed them despite the fact that winter is here? Among my year round indoor palms are a C. Cataractarum, L. Weddellanium, Kentia, lady palm, and a. Tuckerii. Non palms include a monstera and various draecaena. 

Fwiw I have Jobes organic palm food, Carl Pool slow release, Jobes palm spikes, and super stinky Alaska fish palm food that I can add to water 

I'd only feed if they're actively growing, and then only use slow release. It also depends what they're growing in, and its nutrient content. Understorey plants in general will be less affected by the shortened day and more likely to grow in winter.
My Chambeyronia had a red leaf out on Christmas day.

My apartment gets very little natural light, but I do have grow lights that I leave on - and everything that stays indoors year round is still growing. I'll add small doses of slow release Carl Pool to the pots and add reduced doses of fish stink to their water every other watering. 

Unfortunately, I can't use the organic Jobes palm food indoors because my dog eats it :sick:

10 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

My apartment gets very little natural light, but I do have grow lights that I leave on - and everything that stays indoors year round is still growing. I'll add small doses of slow release Carl Pool to the pots and add reduced doses of fish stink to their water every other watering. 

Unfortunately, I can't use the organic Jobes palm food indoors because my dog eats it :sick:

Be careful with L. weddelianum. I have killed these with what I thought was pretty meagre, dilute feeding with seaweed (which turned out to be fatally unwanted). Slow release is the way to go with slight, understorey plants that don't grow very quickly. I like the brand osmocote, which seems to work great with palms and cycads, and probably available in the Land of Whataburger (I've seen it recommended by a prominent nursery in the Land of Whatataxer, to coin a epithet).

No such reticence is needed with your Monstera, if it has enough light and is growing. I almost regret buying one; it's taking up so much space I could otherwise have filled with much more interesting plants.

Edited by PalmsandLiszt

On 2/1/2022 at 5:43 AM, PalmsandLiszt said:

Be careful with L. weddelianum. I have killed these with what I thought was pretty meagre, dilute feeding with seaweed (which turned out to be fatally unwanted). Slow release is the way to go with slight, understorey plants that don't grow very quickly. I like the brand osmocote, which seems to work great with palms and cycads, and probably available in the Land of Whataburger (I've seen it recommended by a prominent nursery in the Land of Whatataxer, to coin a epithet).

No such reticence is needed with your Monstera, if it has enough light and is growing. I almost regret buying one; it's taking up so much space I could otherwise have filled with much more interesting plants.

My Lytos are in the soil-less @Pal Meir mix, so adding a small dose of slow release is probably a great idea. I use Carl Pool.

I kinda dig my Monstera though. I actually bought it to gift to an employee but I kept it and gave her a Cast Iron Plant instead because i knew she'd kill it. It was cheap and it adds a little diversity, plus it's fun to watch it climb. At least for now - I might feel the same way you do in a couple more years :D

10 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

My Lytos are in the soil-less @Pal Meir mix, so adding a small dose of slow release is probably a great idea. I use Carl Pool.

I kinda dig my Monstera though. I actually bought it to gift to an employee but I kept it and gave her a Cast Iron Plant instead because i knew she'd kill it. It was cheap and it adds a little diversity, plus it's fun to watch it climb. At least for now - I might feel the same way you do in a couple more years :D

I'm not familiar with Carl Poor but it might be just as good. I can only recommend what I know about. I read Pal Meir's posts and his amazing success with this species years before I went to the trouble of joining this forum; he's undoubtedly someone to heed (even if it means importing really expensive heat-treated clay from Germany; they really work!).

I know what you mean with Monstera in that it's nice to have something that just grows through hell and high water and doesn't require any special care/medium/watering/feeding. And it's big and it looks nice. Go find a Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum if you want another plant with these characteristics.
My current grudge with the Monstera is that the aerial roots go everywhere. And they're really fast, too. One of them is under my floor, and has gone about 10 feet laterally. Another got into one of the pebble trays I put small plants on; it is now an absolute mess of roots I'll have to sort out in a couple of months. Another root got into a bag of live sphagnum and rendered it all useless.

Grrrr Monstera.

• Upvote 1