IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mexican Fan Palm stuck

ChicagoDee

Can someone please help? Bought this washie as a rehab from Lowes clearance section. She hung out in the backyard all summer. Didn’t grow a ton but got a little healthier and a couple new fronds. I decided to clean her and bring her inside. (I live in Chicago) Medium is very chunky: premium potting mix with perlite, added bark, pumice, charcoal and cactus mix. Since October, I have only watered twice. It immediately lost all fronds (didn’t cut them until they were totally brown) except the unopened one. All these months that frond has still not opened! It’s in suspended animation. Do I need to water more? Is this just transplant shock??? It’s in a north facing window with additional grow lights on it. Ignore the diatomaceous earth—fungus gnats. 

849FB5E7-9A7E-4143-A385-E8B103846D24.jpeg

76B1757B-7E4F-4DA4-82F4-98D81D79C496.jpeg

On 1/19/2022 at 8:21 PM, ChicagoDee said:

Can someone please help? Bought this washie as a rehab from Lowes clearance section. She hung out in the backyard all summer. Didn’t grow a ton but got a little healthier and a couple new fronds. I decided to clean her and bring her inside. (I live in Chicago) Medium is very chunky: premium potting mix with perlite, added bark, pumice, charcoal and cactus mix. Since October, I have only watered twice. It immediately lost all fronds (didn’t cut them until they were totally brown) except the unopened one. All these months that frond has still not opened! It’s in suspended animation. Do I need to water more? Is this just transplant shock??? It’s in a north facing window with additional grow lights on it. Ignore the diatomaceous earth—fungus gnats. 

849FB5E7-9A7E-4143-A385-E8B103846D24.jpeg

76B1757B-7E4F-4DA4-82F4-98D81D79C496.jpeg

I would say it probably wants more water, I'm assuming your soil drains well and that terracotta probably helps to dry the soil out so I think consistent watering would help, If you poke your finger or dig just a bit in the soil and if most of its dry then I would suggest taking it to the shower and really saturate the soil as good as you possibly can but only the soil don't let any water get in the crown area with overhead water, Once your sure it's completely soaked then you can start water consistently but all this is to make sure theirs no dry pockets.

The goal is to keep the soil moist but not soggy, so you can just eye it and feel the soil to understand where you think it may be or what it needs cause washies can be fine on the dry side but they do love water and a healthy amount of water should help push it's growth. B)

Edited by ZPalms

On 1/22/2022 at 1:15 AM, ZPalms said:

I would say it probably wants more water, I'm assuming your soil drains well and that terracotta probably helps to dry the soil out so I think consistent watering would help, If you poke your finger or dig just a bit in the soil and if most of its dry then I would suggest taking it to the shower and really saturate the soil as good as you possibly can but only the soil don't let any water get in the crown area with overhead water, Once your sure it's completely soaked then you can start water consistently but all this is to make sure theirs no dry pockets.

The goal is to keep the soil moist but not soggy, so you can just eye it and feel the soil to understand where you think it may be or what it needs cause washies can be fine on the dry side but they do love water and a healthy amount of water should help push it's growth. B)

Thank you! I did soak it and the frond finally started to open. It’s yellow so I think you’re right and she has been thirsty for some time. But there’s movement!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChicagoDee said:

Thank you! I did soak it and the frond finally started to open. It’s yellow so I think you’re right and she has been thirsty for some time. But there’s movement!

Awesome! Great to hear! Definitely would love to see pics of it with some leaves, Rehab palms are satisfying to see bounce back B):greenthumb: