IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wrap it up baby

DAVEinMB

Welp thee ice storm, she's a comin and I can't let some of the residents go in without a raincoat.

Here's what's getting protection (in no particular order as far as the pictures go):

- Phoenix Canariensis

- Phoenix Dactylifera

- Phoenix Reclinata hybrid 

- Phoenix Roebelenii x Dactylifera 

3 standard queens

- 2 Uruguay queens

- 1 Litoralis queen

Arenga Engleri 

- Allagoptera Arenaria

Unknown Phoenix species

- 2 Lytocaryum Hoehnei

Cordyline Australis 

Australian Tree Fern

The smaller stuff I just put buckets over; the bigger stuff I covered with contractor garbage bags. If using multiple bags, I cut the end off the bag in order to make a sleeve out of it. Then I worked my way from the base of the palm upward so the overlaps would prevent water from entering. I'm not giving any supplemental heat. 

The rest of my inventory either doesn't need protection or is on its own because it's too big to protect. 

Enjoy the pics

Screenshot_20220119-173714_Chrome.jpg

20220119_154200.jpg

20220119_155714.jpg

20220119_155702.jpg

20220119_161835.jpg

20220119_155735.jpg

20220119_155722.jpg

20220119_161849.jpg

20220119_163727.jpg

20220119_161903.jpg

20220119_161908.jpg

20220119_162531.jpg

20220119_161918.jpg

20220119_171524.jpg

20220119_171456.jpg

20220119_171451.jpg

20220119_171534.jpg

20220119_171440.jpg

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Nice work Dave.  I'll bet wrapping that Phoenix was no fun...

Thanks Jon, and no... no it was not lol

• Like 1

Nice wrappers...ice is a drag for sure(drag your plants to the ground) I like that you have a Tree fern there...

how long has that been in?  They are so much fun to watch grow as they unfurl their croziers.

18 hours ago, Chester B said:

Freezing rain is the absolute worst.  Good luck with everything.

Yea it is definitely going to cause some problems here, plants aside. This might be the 2nd time it's happened in the 16 years I've lived here. I'll keep you posted thanks

2 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Nice wrappers...ice is a drag for sure(drag your plants to the ground) I like that you have a Tree fern there...

how long has that been in?  They are so much fun to watch grow as they unfurl their croziers.

Thanks Jim, it's better than nothing I guess. 

I planted the tree fern this past spring and absolutely! It has been a real joy to watch unfurl. I'm hoping I keep it alive long enough to see some trunk

Looks like we’re missing it this round to the south and East, and we missed the last round to the north and west . 

good luck , freezing rain the the worst of the worst 

Edited by RJ

5 minutes ago, RJ said:

Looks like we’re missing it this round to the south and East, and we missed the last round to the north and west . 

good luck , freezing rain the the worst of the worst 

Thanks Randy, guess we'll see. 

My recent comment regarding our weather didn't age well huh lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Thanks Randy, guess we'll see. 

My recent comment regarding our weather didn't age well huh lol

Lol , they still cancelled schools up here for tomorrow :violin:

1 minute ago, RJ said:

Lol , they still cancelled schools up here for tomorrow :violin:

Yea, Myrtle is basically completely shut down

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

I planted the tree fern this past spring and absolutely! It has been a real joy to watch unfurl. I'm hoping I keep it alive long enough to see some trunk

It's a shame Cyathea australis is not more available over there, since it's considerably more cold-hardy than C. cooperi

It's a lot slower, though, and I suspect that's why it hasn't taken off over there. It's quite common in UK gardens.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

14 minutes ago, philinsydney said:

It's a shame Cyathea australis is not more available over there, since it's considerably more cold-hardy than C. cooperi

It's a lot slower, though, and I suspect that's why it hasn't taken off over there. It's quite common in UK gardens.

Yea my tree fern was identified as c. Cooperi on here, and to be honest I was so excited to see one for sale locally I didn't care what species it ended up being haha. I'm new to tree ferns but I'll keep my eye out for c. Australis, I'm looking to make a diverse garden :shaka-2:

Yeah....That would be cool.

You can get D.Antarctica but again with the slow growth....

Just for fun heres mine, hopefully the protection works and it returns to form in spring!

SAM_2055.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

Yeah....That would be cool.

You can get D.Antarctica but again with the slow growth....

Just for fun heres mine, hopefully the protection works and it returns to form in spring!

SAM_2055.JPG

I'll add that one to the list as well :D

That's looking good, and as always I admire what you're doing up there in Iowa. Good stuff

• Like 1

Nice...i hate freezing rain...but hey looks like your in good shape with all the work ...fingers crossed for you to nice of a yard!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Cyathea cooperi is fast. You'll see trunk within a few years. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SeanK said:

As an old guy, let me offer some advice. Make 90% of your landscape cold-hardy.  Only 10% should need protection.

It kinda sucks when your zone mostly allows for deciduous plants, which I think look pretty terrible in winter,  or small leaved evergreens that don't look very interesting.

Edited by Palmlex

:sick:

1829165077_20220119_155551(2).thumb.jpg.36130af65be805a8fd02cc5a12f2259e.jpg763684117_20220119_155302(2).thumb.jpg.134d99b003dae95ef65a14f7d74b668b.jpg

I saw 19 in the forecast and chickened out, wrapping the big mule.  Did the best I can with protecting the trunk and bud with lights and tarps/frost cloth.  It is too much of a beast now so the fronds are one their own....

I hope the little bit of heat from the lights around the bud keeps the water liquid down in there.

We will see.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, SeanK said:

As an old guy, let me offer some advice. Make 90% of your landscape cold-hardy.  Only 10% should need protection.

Yea I hear ya, my landscaping is by no means bulletproof for where I'm at but I'm trying to keep my zone pushing within reason. The majority of my plants are 8b or better and pretty much all my tender stuff is a half zone push. NOAA models are predicting that my area of the coast will likely by zone 9a by 2040. Figured it's a calculated risk to start acting like we're already there

• Like 1

I see there is an Ice Storm Warning there, which means significant accrual of ice on just about everything the rain touches. 0.25"-0.50" of ice can be expected. I hope you did include especially for the tall and skinny stuff, some extra support. Freeing rain is the most dreaded precip type, sleet ruins everything. Snow is where its at. Being honest, if its gonna get cold enough for me to have to wrap everything up, i would want some snow too lol. Wishing you the best of luck! 

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

@JLM I'm definitely a bit worried based on how things are looking right now but i mean it is what it is. Fingers crossed, here's a couple pics taken a few minutes ago

20220121_193515.jpg

20220121_194215.jpg

20220121_193526.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB

@DAVEinMB I’m not going to thumbs up your post because it’s simply not appropriate given the situation. I’ve been down the freezing rain path many times, definitely not a good scene. Ice in the growing point can cause damage, but I am sure you’re already aware of this. Trachys and Chamaerops seem to be reasonably well at dealing with it. hope this is a quick event and thawing temps happen soon. I would plan on using copper fungicide once things dry out. I do try to knock off the ice when it’s very thick on the fronds. They may be droopy after this but generally they don’t get damaged. And I would refrain from using a hair dryer or other warming device to thaw the spear out.

Your microspadix are going to look terrible after this but they will grow out of it during the summer. They make take damage easily but it seems hard to kill them. 

Best of luck Bud!

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 5:58 PM, DAVEinMB said:

20220119_155702.jpg

20220119_171440.jpg

I find the palm wrapped up into a skinny pole funny also what are those little lily pad things growing around the bottom picture? They are so cute

@Chester B i appreciate it man, I have a couple bottles of copper fungicide that'll be put to use very soon haha. I hope my bigger palms have enough mass to pull through but at this point, I've prepared myself for if the situation goes the other direction. Fingers crossed :shaka-2:

Hell, if nothing else I'll be able to add data to the freeze damage database :D

8 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I find the palm wrapped up into a skinny pole funny also what are those little lily pad things growing around the bottom picture? They are so cute

Lol yea it's a green toothpick

The mini lily pads are pennywort and they don't look bad but they're a huge pain in my ass lol. They're a subterranean vine and they will take over things very fast

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@DAVEinMB looks like you’re going above freezing tomorrow. That’s great. I bet all your big palms will be ok if it’s a short event. 

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

The mini lily pads are pennywort and they don't look bad but they're a huge pain in my ass lol. They're a subterranean vine and they will take over things very fast

Pennywort SUCKS lol. So hard to get rid of

5 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Thanks! I wanna grow some in a pot cause I think they look cool and cute as a houseplant :P

How’d you manage Dave? We started off with some freezing rain and then ended up with about two inches of snow. 

After failing to protect my Phoenix sylvestris all the way (The wind blew off half of the sheet) many of the fronds are starting to droop. I did manage to cover the part where new fronds come out so that is good. My small Palmetto is completely fine. Surprisingly, my 2 Phoenix dactylifera are also completely fine. I'll look optimistically and maybe say I got a little hardier True Date Palms? We shall see. Good luck with all of your stuff Dave. This is definitely going to be a little rough.

Edited by General Sylvester D. Palm
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RJ said:

How’d you manage Dave? We started off with some freezing rain and then ended up with about two inches of snow. 

Things don't look great, I'll post some pics in a bit. 

And the bad news continues, they're forecasting 16 degrees tonight

4 hours ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

After failing to protect my Phoenix sylvestris all the way (The wind blew off half of the sheet) many of the fronds are starting to droop. I did manage to cover the part where new fronds come out so that is good. My small Palmetto is completely fine. Surprisingly, my 2 Phoenix dactylifera are also completely fine. I'll look optimistically and maybe say I got a little hardier True Date Palms? We shall see. Good luck with all of your stuff Dave. This is definitely going to be a little rough.

Gonna be a cold one tonight, if you're able I'd definitely protect those Phoenix good. Thanks and good luck with your stuff as well, fingers crossed

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Gonna be a cold one tonight, if you're able I'd definitely protect those Phoenix good. Thanks and good luck with your stuff as well, fingers crossed

Definitely will be. I uncovered my Sylvestris and it is doing much better than I thought. Only about 4 fronds are a bit droopy. I put a tarp over it with some bungee cords to secure it even more.  It really sucks cause this will set us back on our hardiness zone...

Edited by General Sylvester D. Palm