IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why Re trachycarpus fortune so widely planted when they are not the hardiest palm?

EJPalm05

1 hour ago, SeanK said:

Let's go back to the original question.

Most palms planted in landscapes are there to create an effect.

I stand by what I said. 95%+ of the public cannot distinguish between between any Trachycarpus or between Trachycarpus and Thrinax. I don't find folks on the west coast too reliable w.r.t. cold-hardiness claims; likewise those who live in the desert where temps rebound 40Fº.  I can't see dropping $1000s on palms that defoliate, each winter, pencil, then die. It'll be interesting to see what Phoenix and Butia look like in Myrtle Beach come July 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBdK5MXsI24

Again, what the public can distinguish is, to me and most people on this site, totally irrelevant.    We're not here for them, but for us.  Our cold hardiness claims are most often based on long experience; take or or leave it.  If you live in Eastern U.S.,  humidity may play a role in hardiness; some species that tolerate cold just fine won't tolerate humidity, including in summer.   In that case, pay more attention to hardiness claims of growers in your climate zone (both regards to cold and humidity levels).  West coast hardiness claims are for our growing area, not necessarily yours.   And if you have to drop $1000s of dollars to buy palms, you're shopping in the wrong places lol.  And yes, Butias in Myrtle Beach, or for that matter in Portland and Seattle, will look just fine come July 4th.  Have been doing so for years.

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Again, what the public can distinguish is, to me and most people on this site, totally irrelevant.    We're not here for them, but for us.  Our cold hardiness claims are most often based on long experience; take or or leave it.  If you live in Eastern U.S.,  humidity may play a role in hardiness; some species that tolerate cold just fine won't tolerate humidity, including in summer.   In that case, pay more attention to hardiness claims of growers in your climate zone (both regards to cold and humidity levels).  West coast hardiness claims are for our growing area, not necessarily yours.   And if you have to drop $1000s of dollars to buy palms, you're shopping in the wrong places lol.  And yes, Butias in Myrtle Beach, or for that matter in Portland and Seattle, will look just fine come July 4th.  Have been doing so for years.

Be sure you pay attention to what climate zone you're in:  I'm in zone 8, like much of the Pacific NW.  If you're in zone 6 for instance, totally different ballgame.

• Like 2