IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm ID help

D Palm

What type of palm is this? At first I thought it was a lady Palm but a cluster is nearby and they look very different.

location is Plantation, FL.

72BF9EE1-FAAB-4364-87D3-90E044198575.jpeg

14B9A623-B2EE-43EE-B36B-286C124CB5DF.jpeg

D58801F3-5EBA-48F1-A79D-D68694BBFF4C.jpeg

Edited by D Palm

Makes sense of why I couldn’t ID it…really cool looking. I wonder if B&B stores carry this…or I may dig around that site for some seeds. 

40 minutes ago, D Palm said:

Makes sense of why I couldn’t ID it…really cool looking. I wonder if B&B stores carry this…or I may dig around that site for some seeds. 

You won’t find seeds. Bamboo plants die off completely after producing their tiny seeds and flowering is rare to begin with. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

@D Palm Eric is correct it is "Dwarf Buddha Belly" aka Bambusa Vulgaris "Wamin."  This will "belly" consistently in Florida, even in a super tropical bed that gets water every day.  There is a larger variety called "Giant Buddha Belly" or Bambusa Ventricosa, as Xenon mentioned above.  That one is much, much larger, and will not belly in a tropical area like Florida.  "Dwarf Buddha Belly" will grow to around 10-15' maximum, Ventricosa to 40-55'.  Vulgaris isn't too hardy, only capable of about 27-30F before defoliating.  Ventricosa is good to around 18-21F.

An intermediate sized one is Bambusa Tuldoides "Swollen Internode," introduced by Tropical Bamboo in the Miami area.  It gets to around 18' or so, and is supposed to be 15F hardy. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thank you to everyone for the info! There are some dead canes in the clump, so I grabbed a few clippings to take back to N. FL. A Building guy said it was fine…

Edited by D Palm

15 hours ago, D Palm said:

Thank you to everyone for the info! There are some dead canes in the clump, so I grabbed a few clippings to take back to N. FL. A Building guy said it was fine…

Unfortunately, cuttings will not root. You need to dig and get rooted ones from the main bamboo cluster. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

• 2 months later...

Update! So I took about a dozen clippings of the Buddha belly bamboo back in Jan from specimen shown in photo, 3 have started to push new growth with a 4th cane maybish. All others croaked. It has been in my unheated greenhouse. I’ll post a pic tonight.

Yeah, fully "dead" canes won't root, but in the Bambusa family you can root pieces of stem, branches, and of course full culms.  As long as it's green and you have a "node" buried a little bit, it's got a chance!  Good growing!

The most reliable is just slicing vertically down between culms and pulling out a complete cane + roots.  But people have had good results by just cutting down a cane and laying it down flat on the ground, covering with about an inch of dirt/mulch, and watering them!  I've read you can do that with some Dendrocalamus species too, but haven't tried it myself.

• Like 1