IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Finally

Palmlover_78

Hey Guys, A very Tropical Palm grown in Canada indoors, Fourteen months in the making and Finally a multi leafed Frond , on my Christmas Palms. :D

IMG_5320.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

IMG_5323.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations!  I have not tried these from seeds, only Washys, Phoenix, Cocos, and Trachy. Washingtonias are super easy from seed, they will germinate at room temperatures (75 F.).  Trachys are also easy.  Phoenix need a bit of heat,  but have had great success with P. canariensis. 

Just so you know, Christmas palms can be temperamental indoors, in my opinion.  I currently have one and it seems to be doing fine, but I have had had them suddenly brown up over the years.

They like it on the warm and moist side and are not too forgiving regarding dryness, so I err on the side of overwatering. 

Have you been feeding yours?  These are usually a deeper green, but may be the lighting.

Good luck!

P.S., These Canary Island Palms are from seed.  (Picture was taken in November of 2021.)

3E9E10D3-78DF-425B-B138-E1416DA6AC54.jpeg

Edited by oasis371
  • Upvote 1

Hello Yeah i feed them with a Palm Fertilizer, they are really close to the lights. I have trachys growing too :), I tried germinating Pygmy Dates but no success :(

If you like germinating from seed, try Washingtonia (California and Mexican fans).  I personally prefer W. robusta (Mexican fans) to W. filifera (California fans). Both are easy from seed but I have had issues with filifera in my summer climate which tends toward excessive humidity and rainfall  (however, filifera are cold hardier).  Also keep in mind, a lot are actually hybrids (Washingtonia filibusta).  I've had good luck germinating and cultivating Phoenix canariensis (Canary Island Dates).  Trachycarpus fortunei is another easy one from seed. The Washys and Trachycarpus will even germinate at room temperatures, Phoenix should have bottom heat.  I have tried the true date (P. dactylifera) but was not as successful and I prefer Canary palms anyway. I have Pygmy Dates but have not attempted them from seed, but I assume they should be pretty easy as they are so commonly sold in the marketplace. Try bottom heat though with any of them.  I once tried to germinate Traveler's Palm (Ravenala, which is not a palm but in the banana family).  It did nothing inside, so I threw the soil outside and gave up..., only to see them coming up in the summer heat, outside. So, they are obviously easier to germinate outside in real heat, you'd be surprised at the difference. Good luck with the Christmas palms.

6 hours ago, oasis371 said:

If you like germinating from seed, try Washingtonia (California and Mexican fans).  I personally prefer W. robusta (Mexican fans) to W. filifera (California fans). Both are easy from seed but I have had issues with filifera in my summer climate which tends toward excessive humidity and rainfall  (however, filifera are cold hardier).  Also keep in mind, a lot are actually hybrids (Washingtonia filibusta).  I've had good luck germinating and cultivating Phoenix canariensis (Canary Island Dates).  Trachycarpus fortunei is another easy one from seed. The Washys and Trachycarpus will even germinate at room temperatures, Phoenix should have bottom heat.  I have tried the true date (P. dactylifera) but was not as successful and I prefer Canary palms anyway. I have Pygmy Dates but have not attempted them from seed, but I assume they should be pretty easy as they are so commonly sold in the marketplace. Try bottom heat though with any of them.  I once tried to germinate Traveler's Palm (Ravenala, which is not a palm but in the banana family).  It did nothing inside, so I threw the soil outside and gave up..., only to see them coming up in the summer heat, outside. So, they are obviously easier to germinate outside in real heat, you'd be surprised at the difference. Good luck with the Christmas palms.

Thank You, I had about 100 Trachy Seeds but only 43 germinated. I am rescuing a Pygmy but I dunno if the little guy is gonna make it.  I would try a lot of Palms but room and $$$ is an issue :(,

I know that Coconut and Lipstick Palms are extremely difficult indoors. I love Royals but no they aren't a good choice as are Kings or Queens. Although I heard a Alexander Palm can handle a little big of cooler weather. Trachy's LOVE it up here :)

Very nice. Where are you in Northwestern Ontario? What is your hardiness zone? Can you keep any outdoors?

I once managed to germinate a coconut I found on the sidewalk in Key Biscayne.  I planted it in July, and it germinated in December, did not use bottom heat but is was a warm, southern exposure. Believe it or not, coconuts are not the hardest indoor palms, but I definitely prefer the dwarfs as leaves split when younger, yellow Malayan is a nice dwarf. I overwinter LOTS of stuff in one of two garages.  The larger one is a two car loft garage, facing due south with full sun, unobstructed all day, all year.  So that's where I overwinter the Canary Dates above (grown from seed).  I also have large Butias, Queens, Chinese fans, Meds, and Cycads.  I hear you on the Royals, not easy indoors.  I tried them a few times and they always got mealy bugs.  Majesty palms are also notoriously difficult and for whatever reason, my current one is thriving spectacularly well. Actually, now I NEED another one.  I have this mental block with two different palms, one is a solitary and the other is a clumping species, both are said to relatively easy from seed, cool tolerant, and indoor friendly.  Their Latin names drive me crazy and their common names are even dumber, one is the King Alexander and the other is know as Alexandra..., give me a break.  Well, I have both of those from seedlings ordered online and they are doing well. Even my current Adonidia is doing well this year, and I usually kill them.  They don't like to get at all dry.

5 hours ago, SALOttawa said:

Very nice. Where are you in Northwestern Ontario? What is your hardiness zone? Can you keep any outdoors?

Hello, I live near Thunder Bay Zone 3a , I have a Trachy and a Pygmy out on my patio during summer. Any Palm that likes cooler temps do very well up here, as for the Christmas Palms I dunno.

5 hours ago, SALOttawa said:

5 hours ago, oasis371 said:

I once managed to germinate a coconut I found on the sidewalk in Key Biscayne.  I planted it in July, and it germinated in December, did not use bottom heat but is was a warm, southern exposure. Believe it or not, coconuts are not the hardest indoor palms, but I definitely prefer the dwarfs as leaves split when younger, yellow Malayan is a nice dwarf. I overwinter LOTS of stuff in one of two garages.  The larger one is a two car loft garage, facing due south with full sun, unobstructed all day, all year.  So that's where I overwinter the Canary Dates above (grown from seed).  I also have large Butias, Queens, Chinese fans, Meds, and Cycads.  I hear you on the Royals, not easy indoors.  I tried them a few times and they always got mealy bugs.  Majesty palms are also notoriously difficult and for whatever reason, my current one is thriving spectacularly well. Actually, now I NEED another one.  I have this mental block with two different palms, one is a solitary and the other is a clumping species, both are said to relatively easy from seed, cool tolerant, and indoor friendly.  Their Latin names drive me crazy and their common names are even dumber, one is the King Alexander and the other is know as Alexandra..., give me a break.  Well, I have both of those from seedlings ordered online and they are doing well. Even my current Adonidia is doing well this year, and I usually kill them.  They don't like to get at all dry.

Yeah I think it is common knowledge that Majesty's are horrific as house plants lol, I know people use them as annuals , because they are cheap and always readily available for reasons that allude me. So far my Trachy has not been attacked by Aphids or Spider Mites. I hope Pygmy's aren't as susceptible to Mites like the Christmas Palms. I like this site https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/ for seeds :) . I am anxious to see if a Christmas Palm will do well outside in my Zone 3a