IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Heat tape on fronds

merri

I have a first year mule that is 8'.  We bundled the fronds Sat to protect from heavy snow  and freezing rain.  Getting to 17 tonight so I used heat tape top to bottom and wrapped the fronds with some thin burlap, (more like jute cheese cloth) and put small bubble wrap around the trunk.  Now I'm wondering if the tape will damage the fronds. I first wrapped a long shower rod with the tape and inserted it down the middle of the bundle to the top of the trunk and then wrapped the bundle and trunk. Went around each frond base once as I went around the trunk since they stick away from the trunk.  I've searched some of the sites looking for info on wetther the tape will do contact damage and the only thing I found was one mention that some people have fried their palms with tape; no explanation. I have a remote temp sensor inserted near the top-oh yea I also put a little bubble wrap "hat" on top to protect the frond ends and slow heat loss, and the tape temp sensors are on the outside at 30 degrees right now with inside temp reading 50. I went out and felt the wrap and burlap and didn't feel any warmth. I unplugged the tape and will wait till I go to bed before re plugging. If the tape wont do contact damage should I also wrap the fronds with the bubble; that burlap doesn't have any chance against 17 degrees.

Its hard to say but it sounds like it may be staying warm enough...

I have never used heat tape and don't know how hot it gets but

it would make sense that it could burn the palm if it can heat/warm a medal

pipe...could you report back on what you find???