Jump to content
Chester B

Splurge purchase - why do I keep doing this??

Recommended Posts

Chester B

Pretty standard stuff but the whole lot cost me $35 including shipping. I figure there’s about 100 Sabal minor seedlings. I just couldn’t pass it up even though I have no need for them. I’m planning on doing some guerilla planting and a mass planting in my own yard. 

5663F3FF-6604-4551-A278-5F376605F35D.jpeg

FE90223B-2754-4A0E-82D5-129B1C34FE49.jpeg

E53D4CE4-5E50-4B72-891C-3A166C955590.jpeg

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn
7 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Pretty standard stuff but the whole lot cost me $35 including shipping. I figure there’s about 100 Sabal minor seedlings. I just couldn’t pass it up even though I have no need for them. I’m planning on doing some guerilla planting and a mass planting in my own yard. 

5663F3FF-6604-4551-A278-5F376605F35D.jpeg

FE90223B-2754-4A0E-82D5-129B1C34FE49.jpeg

E53D4CE4-5E50-4B72-891C-3A166C955590.jpeg

You and @tlow are buying up all the damn Sabal minors!! Lol

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

Sorry!  These came from Texas but no info as to the seed origins. 
 

I do love the look of them mass planted so now I can actually do it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tlow
2 hours ago, teddytn said:

You and @tlow are buying up all the damn Sabal minors!! Lol

LOL!!!  Give me another week or two and I'll buy another couple dozen because.. well why not.  I keep telling myself this is all totally normal, but I'm fairly certain it's not.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadyDan

I have the same issue this time of year in anticipation for the upcoming growing season, except its mostly seeds for me. Debating on pulling the trigger on $100 worth of seeds from New Zealand (Mostly Eucalyptus, but some Cordyline indivisa and Nikau palm in there too), but I'm telling myself my greenhouse is too full already.

Thats a great deal for the minors, definitely an underrepresented palm up here and it would be great to see more around the PNW. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn

I guess we’re all in good company. I usually hold off during the winter on ordering plants. Now that I have a better setup for overflow plants, seems like every couple weeks I’m scouting the interwebs for whatever I deem the holy grail that week lol. There’s honestly way worse things to spend $35 on lol. I’ve got one more order coming from PDN, 1 Sabal tamaulipas and 1 Sabal Blackburniana. That might do it until spring….maybe….probably not lol

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amh

I recently did this with some coontie seeds and am trying to figure out where I'll be able to keep another 300 plants. I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

I've done the mass-seedling-purchase, courtesy of both Ebay and etsy.  I think it's a wise idea, if you have the time, and can continually set conditions for success.  

I told myself I wasn't doing any impulse-plant-buying this year.  

But my local Bamboo guy is delivering $250 of bamboo tomorrow.... It's not my fault, there's an area of my yard that NEEDS Fargesia scabrida and/or Borinda angustissima (which is a new type/species for my inventory). 

Good luck with them, my minor seedlings have barely moved in the last year.  They do OK in the growbox but seem stagnant in the greenhouse.  And every time I order bare-rooted Sabals, there's always a mortality rate of around 50%. 

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VA Jeff

I suspect that it will take several years before they look like much in your cool summers.  I planted numerous untended specimens in my old yard.  After 10 years, the untended ones still didn't look like much with all the weeds growing around, despite living in a former native zone for them.  If you keep the weeds at bay, they might get character leaves in 2-3 years.  I think trachycarpus species might be a better choice considering the growth rate in cool temps,  I know people get bored with windmills, but you might try buying fewer but bigger sabals to enjoy them sooner.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte
3 minutes ago, VA Jeff said:

I suspect that it will take several years before they look like much in your cool summers.  I planted numerous untended specimens in my old yard.  After 10 years, the untended ones still didn't look like much with all the weeds growing around, despite living in a former native zone for them.  If you keep the weeds at bay, they might get character leaves in 2-3 years.  I think trachycarpus species might be a better choice considering the growth rate in cool temps,  I know people get bored with windmills, but you might try buying fewer but bigger sabals to enjoy them sooner.

Yeah, I was worried about the same. Especially if you are considering a move, the new owner may just mow it down cause it looks like grass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
49 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Good luck with them, my minor seedlings have barely moved in the last year. 

Stick them in the ground, they grow at many times the rate. 
 

4 minutes ago, VA Jeff said:

I suspect that it will take several years before they look like much in your cool summers.  I planted numerous untended specimens in my old yard.  After 10 years, the untended ones still didn't look like much with all the weeds growing around, despite living in a former native zone for them.  If you keep the weeds at bay, they might get character leaves in 2-3 years.  I think trachycarpus species might be a better choice considering the growth rate in cool temps,  I know people get bored with windmills, but you might try buying fewer but bigger sabals to enjoy them sooner.

Our summers are actually quite hot, it’s our cool nights that limit Sabal growth. However they do grow reasonably well as long as you plant them in full sun and give lots of water. These will be added to my current collection of minors, most grown from seed. Within 5 years I would expect them to be fully palmate and 3-4 feet tall based on my others. I already do have larger Sabals and about 10 different species. Some species do grow slow for me but others I would consider moderate growers, fortunately minors are one of them  


Trachycarpus are our go-to palms but I have about 40 so as they say variety is the spice of life!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

@Chester B will try that this spring!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zimm

@Chester B I really, really, really should not ask…. But where from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
6 minutes ago, zimm said:

@Chester B I really, really, really should not ask…. But where from?

Some guy on eBay. One lot only, I happened on the ad probably minutes after he posted. Good timing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zimm

Thank goodness it's already gone.   There is someone on Etsy selling big lots of Windmill seedlings...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HappyHeartsNurseryCo?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1094072308

I have 5 big pots of probably 200 sabal palmetto seedlings each in them that i have no idea what to do with...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
32 minutes ago, zimm said:

Thank goodness it's already gone.   There is someone on Etsy selling big lots of Windmill seedlings...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HappyHeartsNurseryCo?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1094072308

I have 5 big pots of probably 200 sabal palmetto seedlings each in them that i have no idea what to do with...

It’s a good deal. They’re already germinated, worth the time, I think. Around here it’s pretty easy to get all the seeds you’d ever need, and germination rates are usually excellent. I had a few hundred fortunei like you have palmettos. I give them away to friends and started planting them around. As long as the rabbits don’t get to them they do well. 
 

If I need palmettos I’d be happy to trade, but I already have more than I can handle. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkbVet
7 hours ago, tlow said:

LOL!!!  Give me another week or two and I'll buy another couple dozen because.. well why not.  I keep telling myself this is all totally normal, but I'm fairly certain it's not.

And then you'll move to another house and do it all again!  Yup, totally normal...:mrlooney:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Las Palmas Norte
10 hours ago, Chester B said:

Pretty standard stuff but the whole lot cost me $35 including shipping. I figure there’s about 100 Sabal minor seedlings. I just couldn’t pass it up even though I have no need for them. I’m planning on doing some guerilla planting and a mass planting in my own yard. 

Don't feel bad. At one point I had a 1,000 sq. ft. greenhouse/coldframe with $30,000 worth of plants.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkbVet
11 hours ago, Chester B said:

Sorry!  These came from Texas but no info as to the seed origins. 
 

I do love the look of them mass planted so now I can actually do it. 

Great value!  Can't resist a bargain hmmm?   Hehehehe!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar

Minor seeds and seedlings are pretty easy to find here in Raleigh. In fact, some find the seeds bothersome because they seed so freely and abundantly. And we're about an hour and a half outside of their native territory. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimhardy

You can make a S.Minor fence :D

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
40 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

You can make a S.Minor fence :D

Good idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tlow
3 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Good idea!

Funny.. I'm actually doing this on a 75' long, 5.5-6' high retaining wall in front of our property.. I left the last 24" or so from the wall out non-sodded, going to put big rocks down to separate the areas, and I'm going to palm the crap out of it.. Minors mostly, but Louisiana, Birmingham, etc as well in between.  PALM WALL!

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
8 minutes ago, tlow said:

Funny.. I'm actually doing this on a 75' long, 5.5-6' high retaining wall in front of our property.. I left the last 24" or so from the wall out non-sodded, going to put big rocks down to separate the areas, and I'm going to palm the crap out of it.. Minors mostly, but Louisiana, Birmingham, etc as well in between.  PALM WALL!

That will look great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimhardy

Cool...post some pics over time so the rest of us can fall in line.:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tlow
1 minute ago, Jimhardy said:

Cool...post some pics over time so the rest of us can fall in line.:lol:

If anyone wants to give me some ideas before I officially start putting these into the ground I'd love feedback.. I am already consulting with my designer @teddytn lol...

I've got about 75' or so to work with.  The things I have in my garage waiting for warm weather include

- 25x S. Minors

- 5x S. Birmingham

- 5x S. Louisiana

- 1x S. Mexicana

-1x S. Miamiensis

-1x Yucca Rostrata and yucca recurvifolia

- 4x Agave Americana , Montana, and Reginae I believe it is

- 2x S. Lisa

- 1x Brahea Armata

- 4x chamaerops humilis cerifera

- 1x Sago

And probably some more things in there.. Keep in mind I don't want to blow all of these here which wouldn't be possible anyways as I need to fill up my new retaining wall around the house we just had finished recently...... I got a LOT to work with though.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn
15 minutes ago, tlow said:

If anyone wants to give me some ideas before I officially start putting these into the ground I'd love feedback.. I am already consulting with my designer @teddytn lol...

I've got about 75' or so to work with.  The things I have in my garage waiting for warm weather include

- 25x S. Minors

- 5x S. Birmingham

- 5x S. Louisiana

- 1x S. Mexicana

-1x S. Miamiensis

-1x Yucca Rostrata and yucca recurvifolia

- 4x Agave Americana , Montana, and Reginae I believe it is

- 2x S. Lisa

- 1x Brahea Armata

- 4x chamaerops humilis cerifera

- 1x Sago

And probably some more things in there.. Keep in mind I don't want to blow all of these here which wouldn't be possible anyways as I need to fill up my new retaining wall around the house we just had finished recently...... I got a LOT to work with though.

Blind leading the blind lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amh
3 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

You can make a S.Minor fence :D

I'll be doing this to try and deter the deer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyManUtah

That’s a great deal @Chester B - do they have more? :36_14_15[1]:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
8 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

That’s a great deal @Chester B - do they have more? :36_14_15[1]:

Sorry, it was a one shot deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • teddytn
      By teddytn
      Sabal minor are so underrated. Everyone that can grow them should. Everyone regularly on the cold hardy section should have as many as possible. Being native to so many different states and areas there’s so much diversity in just this one Sabal species. I love growing them, but I also love seeing them. Let’s see some pics!!!
    • GoatLockerGuns
      By GoatLockerGuns
      Pictures of Sabal minor growing in habitat at Honey Creek State Natural Area, Texas (approximate GPS coordinates: 29.859131138720375, -98.48455621328327).  These were taken on January 29, 2022.  There are some other specimens growing along the river at the adjacent Guadalupe River State Park; however, they are not as prevalent, or grow as large there.  These Sabal minor were observed growing in three distinct environments: 1. Along the creek side and close to water; 2. Along and on top of the rocky hillside/cliffs; and 3. Out in the open in the Live Oak savanna.

























    • KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      So last weekend we did a trip to Avery Island, La to the jungle gardens tour at the tabasco factory.  It was really cool. We saw some amazing sabals and sabal minors everywhere! We also saw some really nice cycads that I have not seen in Louisiana before. Could y'all possibly identify the cycad? We also saw a HUGE Chinese fan palm. Was wondering if anyone else has been there before. Also just letting y'all know it's a great place for a weekend trip :)








    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have two seeding Sabal minors on the edge of my Garden Lot. I grew them from seeds sent to me by a PTer who collected them about 10 years ago from a Sabal in Savannah, GA. He thought they might be a dwarfed variety of Sabal minor but I am not sure of that. Each palm is about 4' wide by 4' tall and is seeding. Is there any interest in these seeds from US PTers? I plan to send them uncleaned. Let me know soon as I plan to cut/compost them if no one wants them.
      Sabal minor Savannah #1

      Sabal minor Savannah #2

    • Will
      By Will
      Hey,
      I just got a small Sabal minor a week ago and was wondering if I can still plant it outside. Would it be better to wait for Spring so it can develop roots for a whole growing season or can I still plant it outside now?
      I am located in the Eastern parts of Austria, near to Vienna. So winters might get cold, but shouldn't drop below -12°C / 10°F.
       

×
×
  • Create New...