IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Splurge purchase - why do I keep doing this??

Chester B

Pretty standard stuff but the whole lot cost me $35 including shipping. I figure there’s about 100 Sabal minor seedlings. I just couldn’t pass it up even though I have no need for them. I’m planning on doing some guerilla planting and a mass planting in my own yard. 

5663F3FF-6604-4551-A278-5F376605F35D.jpeg

FE90223B-2754-4A0E-82D5-129B1C34FE49.jpeg

E53D4CE4-5E50-4B72-891C-3A166C955590.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Pretty standard stuff but the whole lot cost me $35 including shipping. I figure there’s about 100 Sabal minor seedlings. I just couldn’t pass it up even though I have no need for them. I’m planning on doing some guerilla planting and a mass planting in my own yard. 

5663F3FF-6604-4551-A278-5F376605F35D.jpeg

FE90223B-2754-4A0E-82D5-129B1C34FE49.jpeg

E53D4CE4-5E50-4B72-891C-3A166C955590.jpeg

You and @tlow are buying up all the damn Sabal minors!! Lol

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Sorry!  These came from Texas but no info as to the seed origins. 

I do love the look of them mass planted so now I can actually do it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, teddytn said:

You and @tlow are buying up all the damn Sabal minors!! Lol

LOL!!!  Give me another week or two and I'll buy another couple dozen because.. well why not.  I keep telling myself this is all totally normal, but I'm fairly certain it's not.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

I have the same issue this time of year in anticipation for the upcoming growing season, except its mostly seeds for me. Debating on pulling the trigger on $100 worth of seeds from New Zealand (Mostly Eucalyptus, but some Cordyline indivisa and Nikau palm in there too), but I'm telling myself my greenhouse is too full already.

Thats a great deal for the minors, definitely an underrepresented palm up here and it would be great to see more around the PNW. 

• Like 4

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

I guess we’re all in good company. I usually hold off during the winter on ordering plants. Now that I have a better setup for overflow plants, seems like every couple weeks I’m scouting the interwebs for whatever I deem the holy grail that week lol. There’s honestly way worse things to spend $35 on lol. I’ve got one more order coming from PDN, 1 Sabal tamaulipas and 1 Sabal Blackburniana. That might do it until spring….maybe….probably not lol

• Like 4

I recently did this with some coontie seeds and am trying to figure out where I'll be able to keep another 300 plants. I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

• Like 4

I've done the mass-seedling-purchase, courtesy of both Ebay and etsy.  I think it's a wise idea, if you have the time, and can continually set conditions for success.  

I told myself I wasn't doing any impulse-plant-buying this year.  

But my local Bamboo guy is delivering $250 of bamboo tomorrow.... It's not my fault, there's an area of my yard that NEEDS Fargesia scabrida and/or Borinda angustissima (which is a new type/species for my inventory). 

Good luck with them, my minor seedlings have barely moved in the last year.  They do OK in the growbox but seem stagnant in the greenhouse.  And every time I order bare-rooted Sabals, there's always a mortality rate of around 50%. 

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 5

I suspect that it will take several years before they look like much in your cool summers.  I planted numerous untended specimens in my old yard.  After 10 years, the untended ones still didn't look like much with all the weeds growing around, despite living in a former native zone for them.  If you keep the weeds at bay, they might get character leaves in 2-3 years.  I think trachycarpus species might be a better choice considering the growth rate in cool temps,  I know people get bored with windmills, but you might try buying fewer but bigger sabals to enjoy them sooner.

• Like 2

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

3 minutes ago, VA Jeff said:

I suspect that it will take several years before they look like much in your cool summers.  I planted numerous untended specimens in my old yard.  After 10 years, the untended ones still didn't look like much with all the weeds growing around, despite living in a former native zone for them.  If you keep the weeds at bay, they might get character leaves in 2-3 years.  I think trachycarpus species might be a better choice considering the growth rate in cool temps,  I know people get bored with windmills, but you might try buying fewer but bigger sabals to enjoy them sooner.

Yeah, I was worried about the same. Especially if you are considering a move, the new owner may just mow it down cause it looks like grass. 

49 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Good luck with them, my minor seedlings have barely moved in the last year. 

Stick them in the ground, they grow at many times the rate. 

4 minutes ago, VA Jeff said:

Our summers are actually quite hot, it’s our cool nights that limit Sabal growth. However they do grow reasonably well as long as you plant them in full sun and give lots of water. These will be added to my current collection of minors, most grown from seed. Within 5 years I would expect them to be fully palmate and 3-4 feet tall based on my others. I already do have larger Sabals and about 10 different species. Some species do grow slow for me but others I would consider moderate growers, fortunately minors are one of them  

Trachycarpus are our go-to palms but I have about 40 so as they say variety is the spice of life!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zimm said:

@Chester B I really, really, really should not ask…. But where from?

Some guy on eBay. One lot only, I happened on the ad probably minutes after he posted. Good timing. 

32 minutes ago, zimm said:

Thank goodness it's already gone.   There is someone on Etsy selling big lots of Windmill seedlings...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HappyHeartsNurseryCo?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1094072308

I have 5 big pots of probably 200 sabal palmetto seedlings each in them that i have no idea what to do with...

It’s a good deal. They’re already germinated, worth the time, I think. Around here it’s pretty easy to get all the seeds you’d ever need, and germination rates are usually excellent. I had a few hundred fortunei like you have palmettos. I give them away to friends and started planting them around. As long as the rabbits don’t get to them they do well. 

If I need palmettos I’d be happy to trade, but I already have more than I can handle. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tlow said:

LOL!!!  Give me another week or two and I'll buy another couple dozen because.. well why not.  I keep telling myself this is all totally normal, but I'm fairly certain it's not.

And then you'll move to another house and do it all again!  Yup, totally normal...:mrlooney:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chester B said:

Don't feel bad. At one point I had a 1,000 sq. ft. greenhouse/coldframe with $30,000 worth of plants.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Chester B said:

Sorry!  These came from Texas but no info as to the seed origins. 

I do love the look of them mass planted so now I can actually do it. 

Great value!  Can't resist a bargain hmmm?   Hehehehe!

• Like 2

Minor seeds and seedlings are pretty easy to find here in Raleigh. In fact, some find the seeds bothersome because they seed so freely and abundantly. And we're about an hour and a half outside of their native territory. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

You can make a S.Minor fence :D

Good idea!

3 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Good idea!

Funny.. I'm actually doing this on a 75' long, 5.5-6' high retaining wall in front of our property.. I left the last 24" or so from the wall out non-sodded, going to put big rocks down to separate the areas, and I'm going to palm the crap out of it.. Minors mostly, but Louisiana, Birmingham, etc as well in between.  PALM WALL!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

8 minutes ago, tlow said:

Funny.. I'm actually doing this on a 75' long, 5.5-6' high retaining wall in front of our property.. I left the last 24" or so from the wall out non-sodded, going to put big rocks down to separate the areas, and I'm going to palm the crap out of it.. Minors mostly, but Louisiana, Birmingham, etc as well in between.  PALM WALL!

That will look great!

1 minute ago, Jimhardy said:

Cool...post some pics over time so the rest of us can fall in line.:lol:

If anyone wants to give me some ideas before I officially start putting these into the ground I'd love feedback.. I am already consulting with my designer @teddytn lol...

I've got about 75' or so to work with.  The things I have in my garage waiting for warm weather include

- 25x S. Minors

- 5x S. Birmingham

- 5x S. Louisiana

- 1x S. Mexicana

-1x S. Miamiensis

-1x Yucca Rostrata and yucca recurvifolia

- 4x Agave Americana , Montana, and Reginae I believe it is

- 2x S. Lisa

- 1x Brahea Armata

- 4x chamaerops humilis cerifera

- 1x Sago

And probably some more things in there.. Keep in mind I don't want to blow all of these here which wouldn't be possible anyways as I need to fill up my new retaining wall around the house we just had finished recently...... I got a LOT to work with though.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, tlow said:

If anyone wants to give me some ideas before I officially start putting these into the ground I'd love feedback.. I am already consulting with my designer @teddytn lol...

I've got about 75' or so to work with.  The things I have in my garage waiting for warm weather include

- 25x S. Minors

- 5x S. Birmingham

- 5x S. Louisiana

- 1x S. Mexicana

-1x S. Miamiensis

-1x Yucca Rostrata and yucca recurvifolia

- 4x Agave Americana , Montana, and Reginae I believe it is

- 2x S. Lisa

- 1x Brahea Armata

- 4x chamaerops humilis cerifera

- 1x Sago

And probably some more things in there.. Keep in mind I don't want to blow all of these here which wouldn't be possible anyways as I need to fill up my new retaining wall around the house we just had finished recently...... I got a LOT to work with though.

Blind leading the blind lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

That’s a great deal @Chester B - do they have more? :36_14_15[1]:

Sorry, it was a one shot deal.