IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Snow and palms in Tennessee

Palmaceae

Nice!  at least no cold

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

No snow here, heavy rain (2 inches, which may cause issues as there is still river ice and frozen ground from the recent cold), coastal flooding and gale force winds (50-60 mph). Sounds just as crazy as 2021 so far.

Edited by oasis371
  • Upvote 1

We got the FL version of this massive low pressure system this morning, with gale force gusts and heavy rains here in Orlando.  Temperatures here were between 60-70F throughout the day.  Tonight down to 48F and tomorrow night looking at a chilly 40F in Orlando.  A number of tornado warnings were issued throughout the lower 2/3 of the Peninsula.

Most interestingly, light snow was reported last night and this morning in at least three Northwest FL Counties, no accumulations though.

-Michael

• Like 1

Palmaceae, which palm species are currently drowning in the snow in the above pics.  I recognize at least the Trachy.

Here is mine.

E39DD450-C498-48DB-A5BE-0D3FB2E07EDC.jpeg

54 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

Palmaceae, which palm species are currently drowning in the snow in the above pics.  I recognize at least the Trachy.

Here is mine.

E39DD450-C498-48DB-A5BE-0D3FB2E07EDC.jpeg

Hello Richard.

The palms in the pictures are,

2- Trachycarpus fortunei

Sabal Minor

Sabal louisiana

Sabal palmetto "Birmingham"

Sabal palmetto

Rhapidophyllum hystrix

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

So far this Trachy is the only palm I have in my yard.  I have several other decent-sized ones in my garage and am growing them from seed.  In fact, I just put an order in for the Bulgarian strain.

Sabal louisiana is one of my favorite Sabals (I have at least one of those, my labeling over the years could have been better)

Sabal minor (have one or two of those)

Sabal bermudana (3 of these, one of my favorites, love the blue bold leaves)

Sabal texana/mexicana 

Sabal palmetto (this one, I always have found to be disappointing)

I haver a Needle but they are not my favorites, so far. (Needles?!, I have cacti for that!)

Chamaerops humilis (one big clump of those)

Butias, have two huge ones

The above are only the ones from the cold hardy inventory.