IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii Planted

KDubU

Well could not hold back and decided to make a run to a nursery I happened to visit just over a week ago. I know I may be pushing it a bit but decided I wanted to give it a try regardless as I have canopy and am on an island surrounded by water so fingers crossed. 

She was a bit of a pig to move at approx 500lbs and doing it by hand. Pulled her off the trailer using a tarp and then through the gate into the backyard that I am starting to landscape. Also planning a Koi pond beside it so it can help shade the pond and fish in the hot summers. 

D14BCBC5-7A88-4DED-B2F6-DD736C42EC07.jpeg

1240FB5B-41C9-41E6-A55D-656AEB75F760.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Upvote 1

looks like its very sandy, mulch mulch mulch on top to slow the dry cycle this and every spring.  They do like good drainage, but the dry cycl fmust me dealt with for them to look their best, especially before they develop deep roots.  Deep roots should be established in 2 growing seasons.  

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

That is actually sand I put down as the local place ran out of “fill”. The plan is to mulch quite a lot actually, around. 6-8” as I have found this helps the soil here along with compost.

8 hours ago, Scott W said:

Looking good Kyle.  You'll have to invite me up some time for a visit!

Will do Scott. I still need to get down to your place for the super mule if you still have one. I hope by late Spring to have the pond built and running so that will the backyard much nicer. 

Just now, KDubU said:

Will do Scott. I still need to get down to your place for the super mule if you still have one. I hope by late Spring to have the pond built and running so that will the backyard much nicer. 

Yep, still have a couple growing in 4x4 deep pots.