Billy

Am I out of my mind? (Rhetorical question)

Billy

So about a week ago I decided to plant a 20g B. Alfredii on the side yard between a plumeria and a triple Cunninghamiana :bemused: I know Alfrediis get massive and need space but for some reason I kinda liked the idea of the palms battling it out plus having one that’s taking over right by neighbor’s fence…maybe due to the fact that I’m in love with the way their triple H. fosteriana comes all the way over onto our roof…Shots fired! 

AD7B9926-AEEF-4A2D-B6CB-0C280E2622CD.jpeg

FB7505BE-B340-4832-AAD6-33C4BA670941.jpeg

399DD404-AED0-43B0-8AF9-2FE2671CB409.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos

Looks great! One of my alfredii is sharing space with a Pritchardia, Euterpe, Archotophoenix, and other palms nearby. But, come to think of it, almost all my palms are sharing precious space with lots of others. 

6109EA6F-DF6A-439C-83AD-E9ED3387896D.thumb.jpeg.de3102ce148315affcfc9b06c9948a7c.jpeg

B. alfredii behind the Euterpe!s striped trunk. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Billy

Thanks Jim This makes me feel better hahah 90% of me thought it was a bad idea to plant it so close to the Cunninghamianas but I still went with the 10% and just threw her in the ground 

• Upvote 1

Tyrone

It looks great. Your Archie’s will go straight up very quickly anyway whereas your alfredii will go out before it goes up. It will be a beautiful little jungle at your place. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tracy
5 hours ago, Billy said:

about a week ago I decided to plant a 20g B. Alfredii on the side yard between a plumeria and a triple Cunninghamiana

Worst case is that if at someday you determine it is too crowded for everything, you can axe the Archies or at least a couple of them and the Plumeria is easy enough to either move or take some cuttings off and start elsewhere in the garden.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained right? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DoomsDave

@Billy nice to meet you!

By posting here you’ve answered your initial question in the affirmative!

Like all the rest of us!

Your garden rocks! 

• Like 1

tim_brissy_13

Agree with everyone above. I think recommended spacing is sometimes not so important depending on the look you are going for. You’ve got a number of different types of palms with different growth habits so I reckon they’ll look great together. Sharing space is really the only way to achieve that jungle/rainforest type look. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I don’t think you can plant palms to close let the jungle begin!!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

sonoranfans

Make sure to come back in ten years and tell how it went.  I suspect your alfredii's leaves will be slapping at the archie trunks in wind.  The size of alfredii apparently varies with culture.  I have (3) 10+ years from a 3 gallon, and the one with max sun and no nearby interference is nearly 1 1/2 the trunk thickness(32-34" leafbass on vs 20", 24").  If you like a bunched look, it will be fine, but it wont be as massive if its partly shaded overhead and competes fo root space.  Unlike many other palms, alfredii don't lengthen leaves in shade, the one in sun has the longest leaves and about half again more leaves in the crown than the others, all are trunking.  With root and sunlight competition they seem to stunt a bit which might be exactly what you want, given space considertions.

• Like 3

The Gerg
On 1/13/2022 at 12:02 PM, Billy said:

So about a week ago I decided to plant a 20g B. Alfredii on the side yard between a plumeria and a triple Cunninghamiana :bemused: I know Alfrediis get massive and need space but for some reason I kinda liked the idea of the palms battling it out plus having one that’s taking over right by neighbor’s fence…maybe due to the fact that I’m in love with the way their triple H. fosteriana comes all the way over onto our roof…Shots fired! 

AD7B9926-AEEF-4A2D-B6CB-0C280E2622CD.jpeg

FB7505BE-B340-4832-AAD6-33C4BA670941.jpeg

399DD404-AED0-43B0-8AF9-2FE2671CB409.jpeg

If this means you’re losing your mind then I just must be plain bat $hit crazy. :huh:

I’ve got B. alfredii 4ft. away from R. sapida which I know is too close but hey, it’s just gonna be a jungle look I guess.

• Like 1