IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Still more palm babies in Beaverton Oregon...

MarkbVet

Here's the Butia yatay X Jubaea chilensis hybrid from Patrick/Patrix,  just arrived in great shape!   Also Trithrinax campestris, with its sharp pointy blue-green leaves.  Love em!  The JxB hybrid seems more coveted, but Patrick indicated that the BxJ hybrid is faster, hardier as a seedling, and has glossy green leaves (whereas JxB. yatay tends to have blue-green leaves that are less glossy).  So BxJ leaves may resemble Jubaea more in terms of color/texture, which is a bit surprising.   These will go into the ground after I move to So. Oregon with its warmer/drier Mediterranean climate.   

Butia yatay X Jubaea chilensis.jpg

Butia yatay X Jubaea chilensis2.jpg

Trithrinax campestris.jpg

Trithrinax campestris2.jpg

• Like 10

Very nice, trithrinax is a great palm. It's slow, but the color and form are really attractive. The fronds shimmer in sun

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Very nice, trithrinax is a great palm. It's slow, but the color and form are really attractive. The fronds shimmer in sun

Do you have any of this palm?  If so, do you have any pics?

11 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Do you have any of this palm?  If so, do you have any pics?

This is the only one I could find, it's from 2 years ago, but I can take an updated pic tomorrow

20200313_181110.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

This is the only one I could find, it's from 2 years ago, but I can take an updated pic tomorrow

20200313_181110.jpg

Pretty plant!  Would love to see size difference now compared to then.  More pics are welcome!  :-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Here's the Butia yatay X Jubaea chilensis hybrid from Patrick/Patrix,  just arrived in great shape!   Also Trithrinax campestris, with its sharp pointy blue-green leaves.  Love em!  The JxB hybrid seems more coveted, but Patrick indicated that the BxJ hybrid is faster, hardier as a seedling, and has glossy green leaves (whereas JxB. yatay tends to have blue-green leaves that are less glossy).  So BxJ leaves may resemble Jubaea more in terms of color/texture, which is a bit surprising.   These will go into the ground after I move to So. Oregon with its warmer/drier Mediterranean climate.   

Butia yatay X Jubaea chilensis.jpg

Butia yatay X Jubaea chilensis2.jpg

Trithrinax campestris.jpg

Trithrinax campestris2.jpg

Looks great, just like mine. I’m really looking forward to the my 2 Yatay x jub to growing up a bit. The few examples I’ve seen are stunning, like a more elegant, greener, faster jxb. I think Patrick struck gold with that yatay x jub! Seems consistently a Very nice palm. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Pretty plant!  Would love to see size difference now compared to then.  More pics are welcome!  :-)

I kind of forget about this palm, as you can see it hasn't grown much in terms of size, but it does have 3 distinct heads now. 

20220113_081047.jpg

20220113_081133.jpg

20220113_081313.jpg

• Like 3

They grow fast.  Mine looked smaller than yours when I got it and eight months later, this is how much it grew.

yatayXjubaea2.jpg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

They grow fast.  Mine looked smaller than yours when I got it and eight months later, this is how much it grew.

yatayXjubaea2.jpg

Wow u got that thing on steroids?  Nice growth!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

yatayXjubaea2.jpg

8 months since strap leaf?! thats pretty incredible. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

8 months since strap leaf?! thats pretty incredible. 

Correct.  Here's a photo of when it arrived.

hybrid.jpg

8 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Wow u got that thing on steroids?  Nice growth!!

I had it under grow lights for the first winter,  24/0 light cycle.  Planted in ground last summer.  Just been over a year now, it should really put on some size this summer.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

I had it under grow lights for the first winter,  24/0 light cycle.  Planted in ground last summer.  Just been over a year now, it should really put on some size this summer.

Is that your secret? It is really growing crazy. Nice work.

• Like 1

Congrats @MarkbVet on the great selection. I pretty much got the same palms a few months back so please do post regular updates so we can compare growth (my climate may be a bit warmer but I probably do neglect the palms more). 

• Like 1

Will do.  Mine will be potted for quite awhile, but will upgrade to larger pots as needed, and fertilize, and lots of sun n water in summer.   Hope they will grow decently while potted.   Good luck w/ yours!  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trustandi said:

Is that your secret? It is really growing crazy. Nice work.

I also think potting up to the next size very quickly helps.  It went from the square tree pot, to one gallon, them up to five gallon in just a few months.  By summer, the roots were filling the five gallon real well so I planted it in the ground.  My rule is, if you wait until the roots are coming out of the bottom of the pot, you've already restricted growth.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...