Sign in to follow this  
Alex High

Southern California Zone Pushing Thread

Alex High

Hey folks,

I've gotten really interesting in SoCal zone pushing recently, and since so many more palms have become available in recent years we have seen an explosion of zone pushers trying lots of tropical species previously thought to be unable to survive in Southern California in fact thrive, as well as other harder to grow palms for SoCal. I'll start things off by posting two videos from my YouTube channel, Palm Planet, of two gorgeous coconuts I have a had the pleasure of seeing, one in Del Mar, and one in Santa Ana. And before someone says it, yes, coconuts DO grow in Southern California. I hope to get out and visit more SoCal coconuts soon. I look forward to seeing all your posts! Thanks!

Alex

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Alex High

Here are some additional shots of the coconuts:

Del Mar:

image.png.428d23e91c813bad93f6a9a28c112343.png

image.png.88e6f182d6be857fe630600063796f79.png

image.png.cbb6734688726dfaa8c0a8909e04658b.png

image.png.dd7205721d1cbe34e536a72a8269f599.png

image.png.910889e3f577927d4e17cc0ca77bb8ec.png

Santa Ana:

image.png.c0772b9719cd34e5bc20b1982892ebaf.png

image.png.4de19c249719cdcf61f5a9012345f8a0.png

image.png.1965495d86e4d77eb4d2f8649be6c21f.png

image.png.9e12627bf5b346518a39fd41f1ace9d3.png

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

James B

Blows my mind to see a Cocos surviving in costal CA because that seems like the worst place for one considering they don’t see the sun nearly enough and it never gets above 80. Makes me want to remove a dragon tree by my driveway and go for it since that seems to be the best spot between concrete on three sides with my house at its back also giving off warmth. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Alex High
31 minutes ago, James B said:

Blows my mind to see a Cocos surviving in costal CA because that seems like the worst place for one considering they don’t see the sun nearly enough and it never gets above 80. Makes me want to remove a dragon tree by my driveway and go for it since that seems to be the best spot between concrete on three sides with my house at its back also giving off warmth. 

I know, it's truly a sight to behold, it just shows you what's possible in SoCal. Go for it!!! Plant a palm, you can't grow wrong!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Brad52
19 hours ago, James B said:

I have coco's that I'd gladly trade for a dragon tree ;)

• Like 2

James B
2 hours ago, Brad52 said:

I have coco's that I'd gladly trade for a dragon tree ;)

Haha!

mnorell

Look at those gorgeous Del Mar Howeas! You have to blink hard to realize they're not coconuts. The Cocos, on the other hand...reminiscent of the long-tortured victim of the Newport Beach experiment. It is a side-by-side lesson in what to plant, and what not to plant, in the fogbelt of SoCal. Rather akin to an experiment of planting, say, a Delonix in Santa Monica next to the line of Erythrina caffra on San Vicente Blvd.

• Like 3

The Gerg
On 1/13/2022 at 6:10 PM, James B said:

James, let me talk you off the ledge. :floor: 

Speaking of zone pushing, how’s the Carpoxylon macrospermum?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

James B
19 hours ago, The Gerg said:

James, let me talk you off the ledge. :floor: 

Speaking of zone pushing, how’s the Carpoxylon macrospermum?

Lol! It’s doing good. Slow growing but healthy. No frost damage has seen 33-34 a few times. But it’s under heavy canopy so it’s deep in my jungle a couple feet away from a Bentinckia Condapanna which is also looking good halfway through its first January in ground.

• Like 2

Billy

I've heard about the Del Mar coco Where exactly is it? I'd love to go have a look

Billy

Nevermind! Just watched the video now I know where it's at

• Like 1

Alex High

Bump. Are you telling me no one in all of Southern California is zone pushing with anything? If you live in SoCal and are zone pushing any palm species, please post it here. Coconuts, joey palms, rattans, Licuala, Hyophorbe... as long as it's a marginal or rare palm in Southern California, I would love to see it, I always love reading about and seeing pictures of the gorgeous palms people manage to grow in SoCal's "temperate" climate.

GottmitAlex

IMG_20220228_195054_1.jpg

• Like 2

Alex High
12 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

IMG_20220228_195054_1.jpg

H. lagenicaulis? Very nice, I love it, there are some really nice specimens in SoCal, one of my favorite palms. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1