IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A summer tour of my garden Dec 2022

The Palm Nut

14 hours ago, The Palm Nut said:

Syagrus romanzoffiana often with its feet in salt water( these are one tough puppy's) 

Is that standing water or tidal?  I'm assuming the ground is always wet regardless?

I ask as I have a tidal are prone to brackish flooding and finalizing perspective palms to paint in this area.

Everything you have is amazing!  :yay:

15 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Amazing stuff. Beautiful garden. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks 

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

3 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Amazing garden!

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

4 hours ago, Scott W said:

Is that standing water or tidal?  I'm assuming the ground is always wet regardless?

I ask as I have a tidal are prone to brackish flooding and finalizing perspective palms to paint in this area.

Everything you have is amazing!  :yay:

Its tidal, not brackish just full on sea water but for the most part during king tides which of course is twice a year. Salt does affect it as you can see with the crown looking burnt out and will likely get worse in the coming weeks particularly if we don't get much rain. Mangroves are right next to it and they shed salt through there leaves which effects the soil as well. The only reason I haven't removed them is to see their tolerance for salty feet. The ground is not always wet, but I expect after the floods of last March which I had 4 feet of water over the whole garden it may well be.  The flood added a couple of inches of silt throughout the garden as well which of course was great.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Here are some pictures of the flood of last March.

Thanks everyone for nice comments

Cheers

Mike

IMG_20210320_063752.jpg

IMG_20210320_082639.jpg

• Like 1

Everything's looking great Mike! Your garden has matured really well over the last couple of decades. You should be proud of your efforts!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

40 minutes ago, The Palm Nut said:

Here are some pictures of the flood of last March.

Thanks everyone for nice comments

Cheers

Mike

Woah, that's some serious flooding!  :crying:

Stunning garden Mike. Enjoyed the pics. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

21 hours ago, The Palm Nut said:

? In centre

IMG_20220112_071304.jpg

Laccospadix or a thin Howea belmoreana. If the seed are small it’s a Laccospadix. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 hours ago, Daryl said:

Everything's looking great Mike! Your garden has matured really well over the last couple of decades. You should be proud of your efforts!

Daryl

Thanks Daryl

Cheers

Mike

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Laccospadix or a thin Howea belmoreana. If the seed are small it’s a Laccospadix. 

Thanks Tyrone could not remember for the life of me, Laccospadix that's it. Never had any seeds from it yet but this year looks promising at least its flowering. 

Cheers

Mike

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Palm Nut said:

Thanks Tyrone could not remember for the life of me, Laccospadix that's it. Never had any seeds from it yet but this year looks promising at least its flowering. 

Cheers

Mike

It’s the low elevation single trunked form. They sometimes have a red new leaf at least when young. I used to have one of them but it died. I do have the multistemmed upland variety. Not a common genus at all. Hopefully yours seeds. 

• 1 year later...

I love Calathea Lutea! I’ve been trying to find some of these for sale in South Florida, do you have any for sale or know where I could get them?