IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea Costaricana

el-blanco

Greetings All, and Happy New Year!

I have two 15 gallon C. Costaricana bursting at the seams.  I want to plant them BUT am wanting to hear your experience in taming these as the spread.   Are these difficult to thin out?  Can a sawz-all handle the job?  I recall Rick Luna (San Clemente, CA) having a beautiful specimen in the 15' range and very thick.  I noticed it appeared to have been cut around the edges of the clump to keep it in check.

The two I have were cuttings from a friend I received years ago.  I had them in a nice ceramic pot and Ill be darned if it did not break the pot right in two.

Thank you for your replies!

Jeff

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

Mine grows stronly,  even here in the chilly, northern latitudes.  My plants were ground planted as '1-gallon' size, and the stems developed after planting are much more robust and larger in diameter.  The offsets are quite close to the original stem, and easily removed with a reciprocating saw.  Not a 'runner' at all.  Plant away !!  :greenthumb:

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Hi Jeff, Darold is right.

That's right the offsets are quite close. I've had several clumps for about 8-10 yrs and they have barely spread a foot. I would call them slow growing.

The stems on mine are as thick as your thumb.  Anything can thin them out, but the base is strong so I can see how it would crack a pot when confined.

A clumper not a runner.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Mine is growing well down here in chilly frost free coastal Tasmania I haven't had to reduce the clump yet

20220118_080002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

@el-blanco good to see you again!

I concur with  @Darold Petty @Steve Mac  and @Tassie_Troy1971; I wouldn’t worry about your palm being like a clumping bamboo.

In more general terms, you pose a great question; are there palms that run like bamboo? The only ones I can think of are Rhapis, particularly humilis and multifida.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@el-blanco good to see you again!

I concur with  @Darold Petty @Steve Mac  and @Tassie_Troy1971; I wouldn’t worry about your palm being like a clumping bamboo.

In more general terms, you pose a great question; are there palms that run like bamboo? The only ones I can think of are Rhapis, particularly humilis and multifida.

Chamaedorea brachypoda does send out runners which pop out at a distance from other stems. But it’s so small and slow for me it’s not really an issue at all. 

I’ve also got a Chamaedorea microspadix clump which is now getting quite large. I’ve thinned it out over the last couple of years and I’ve noticed stems that I’ve cut out are extremely easy to re-establish. Even a stem I cut with almost no roots has started to grow back. I’d imagine C. costaricana may be similar if you ever needed to thin a clump. 

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

40 minutes ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Chamaedorea brachypoda does send out runners which pop out at a distance from other stems. But it’s so small and slow for me it’s not really an issue at all. 

I’ve also got a Chamaedorea microspadix clump which is now getting quite large. I’ve thinned it out over the last couple of years and I’ve noticed stems that I’ve cut out are extremely easy to re-establish. Even a stem I cut with almost no roots has started to grow back. I’d imagine C. costaricana may be similar if you ever needed to thin a clump. 

Yeah you caught me! And Chamadorea stolonifera too. They can take over an area.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jeff - You can EASILY manage C. costaricana.  I thin out about a 1/3 of the canes each year so it doesn't get too dense or spread out too far.  I use my hackzall and have not had any issues.  My buddy Mike trimmed all his tall canes out and his costarican responded by growing a whole new canopy in a year.  

• Like 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

THANK YOU for all the replies!  Great information.  I am planting one today!!  JW

(949) 542-0999

Not the best photo of mine (right side of photo) but I’ve reduced mine to the tallest stems and just use a small hand pruning saw to remove new shoots about once a year. These are at second story windows now. 

55B482E4-53B6-443C-8689-05C1ED1ABF3D.thumb.jpeg.534849d1a22eb341705b73832a288194.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

3 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Not the best photo of mine (right side of photo) but I’ve reduced mine to the tallest stems and just use a small hand pruning saw to remove new shoots about once a year. These are at second story windows now. 

55B482E4-53B6-443C-8689-05C1ED1ABF3D.thumb.jpeg.534849d1a22eb341705b73832a288194.jpeg

So, you suggest I leave the taller stems and remove shorter ones?

22 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

WoW!  After seeing this photo I am placing them in the ground.  Looks great Jim!

• Upvote 1

(949) 542-0999

• 6 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 7:48 PM, el-blanco said:

WoW!  After seeing this photo I am placing them in the ground.  Looks great Jim!

How did that work out, Jeff? 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On 1/17/2022 at 8:08 PM, tim_brissy_13 said:

Good to know about microspadix. The cold hardy Chamaedoreas are hard to find.

I just picked one up for an interesting location at a property I manage. Previously I put a banana here, but it was always wanting light, so it got too leggy. I decided a chamaedorea would work well. I also thought it would be pretty cool if it were to reach the second floor balcony. I'm not sure if these will fill in the space the way I envision it, but I gave it a shot anyways. 

20220826_090223.jpg

20220826_090156.jpg

20220826_090134.jpg

^ This is the most sun it will ever receive, by the way. 

Edited by BayAndroid
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

How did that work out, Jeff? 

Like a charm!  I divided the big clump I had and placed them in two spots of the yard for a screen.  They are moving along nicely after the trauma of dividing them.

Of the  all Chamaedorea species out there my favorites are:

C Numbium
C Fragrans
C Costaricana
C Hooperiana

All great clumbers!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(949) 542-0999

• 8 months later...

I see you a few of you have thinned out some Chamaedorea costaricana however I have some fairly large planted in southern California coastal area Dana point that I’d like to split or divide, has anybody had success and what specific directions do you have? I also have some nice 415 gallon container I would like to split also but worried about damaging/killing the palm appreciate all your comments thank you