Keys6505

Bought these as pure Filifera, but yeah..

Keys6505

I bought these 2 trees with about 5' of trunk after the TX freeze last year to replace some hedges I lost.  The place I bought them from sells a lot of palms and swore they were Filifera.  The Robusta they had were cooked while these were only a little rough from the freeze but very alive.  I didn't see any red on the stems when I bought them.  There wasn't a whole lot of leaves on them at the time but the ones that were there looked dull with no sheen.  Now that they're filling out I'm thinking they're definitely Filabusta.  Agree/disagree?

20220109_155939.jpg

20220109_155642.jpg

20220109_155630.jpg

20220109_155509.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jtee

It looks filibusta to me, I have what I believe is a true filifera and yours looks different than mine. 

466855FB-736A-4B6B-A491-32D81BBA0AAE.png

5B84EF94-8023-402A-8F8F-BB5C2568CD0A.png

EE626B8B-4F70-4579-A106-D22FB7C46D28.png

• Like 1

Trustandi

I think it could be a Washingtonia filibusta with filifera dominant trait.

Edited by Trustandi
Submitted by mistake
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DAVEinMB

Filifera would have no signs of red on the petioles

Collectorpalms

Unless you collected the seed in Habitat, it could be a hybrid. End of the " is this a hybrid, Robusta, Filifera, Debate."

I have been through this over and over myself when I started planting palms. Just wait till another arctic front. If its unscathed after 14F its more filifera, 15-19, hybrids burn, and over 20 mostly Robusta burn, 25 very robusta.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 5

Xenon

It's a mutt just like most washies in Houston 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

oasis371

Looks more robusta to me based on the reddish coloration and relative lack of fibers.  Filibusta should be more hairy in my opinion.

• Like 1

Trustandi
8 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Unless you collected the seed in Habitat, it could be a hybrid. End of the " is this a hybrid, Robusta, Filifera, Debate."

I have been through this over and over myself when I started planting palms. Just wait till another arctic front. If its unscathed after 14F its more filifera, 15-19, hybrids burn, and over 20 mostly Robusta burn, 25 very robusta.

Mine is Lowes' Washingtonia filifera. But I know it is a filibusta. It gets burnt in our artic blast 17F. @Collectorpalms is spot-on. 

PXL_20210512_174444350.jpg

PXL_20220104_210851364.jpg

SailorBold
9 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Yup... correct..and technically..

There's...

(WRxWF)= Robustifera ( more ideal with fast recoveries from cold damaged foliage generally quicker growth with increased trunk hardiness in comparison to robusta alone) still similar robusta trunked from mother..but bigger in form

(WFxWR)= Filibusta (less ideal with slower growth from foliar damage and similar filifera hardiness compared to filifera and a massive "not leaf hardy" crown/ trunk..( these are common in my area from nursery stocks shipped in)...

And everything from that.. 

wr x wf x wf   

X

wr x wf x wr

X

wf x wr x wf

If you want any chance of having pure forms..best to grow from seed.. locally isolated forms..

Imo.. and travel.. the TorC filifera are proven to be the purest filifera I've seen and experienced.. they've been there 50+ years..

20190328_150828.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jtee
10 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Yup... correct..and technically..

There's...

(WRxWF)= Robustifera ( more ideal with fast recoveries from cold damaged foliage generally quicker growth with increased trunk hardiness in comparison to robusta alone) still similar robusta trunked from mother..but bigger in form

(WFxWR)= Filibusta (less ideal with slower growth from foliar damage and similar filifera hardiness compared to filifera and a massive "not leaf hardy" crown/ trunk..( these are common in my area from nursery stocks shipped in)...

And everything from that.. 

wr x wf x wf   

X

wr x wf x wr

X

wf x wr x wf

If you want any chance of having pure forms..best to grow from seed.. locally isolated forms..

Imo.. and travel.. the TorC filifera are proven to be the purest filifera I've seen and experienced.. they've been there 50+ years..

20190328_150828.jpg

Gorgeous palms! Las Cruces has some really fat trunked Filiferas also. I love those palms. Much prettier than the robustas. 

• Like 1

Josue Diaz

Definitely too green to be pure filifera, so yes a hybrid. Once you've seen a filifera you can spot one right away - dull green and tons of fibers. Robusta is bright green and less fibrous. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Collectorpalms
On 1/10/2022 at 9:30 PM, Keys6505 said:

I bought these 2 trees with about 5' of trunk after the TX freeze last year to replace some hedges I lost.  The place I bought them from sells a lot of palms and swore they were Filifera.  The Robusta they had were cooked while these were only a little rough from the freeze but very alive.  I didn't see any red on the stems when I bought them.  There wasn't a whole lot of leaves on them at the time but the ones that were there looked dull with no sheen.  Now that they're filling out I'm thinking they're definitely Filabusta.  Agree/disagree?

20220109_155939.jpg

20220109_155642.jpg

20220109_155630.jpg

20220109_155509.jpg

Here are some pictures today of Washingtonia that I collected as seed from old mostly “Filifera-looking”Washingtonia In San Antonio. 
These guys survived 2F and the only ones in the whole neighborhood to survive. I am not saying they are pure Filifera since they were not collected from Habitat, but it’s the best I could do at the time. You need to compare other parts of the fronds. 

9D04FD59-10C7-4DD2-A80F-3271FC9E5CC2.jpeg

E853ECE1-0FD6-4C81-9C95-8D28BD8CF881.jpeg

B78DFA8B-0102-49F0-8570-0B9BAEE57092.jpeg

4EB23BF1-2DDF-4DC0-A316-92FADABDCBCD.jpeg

E8C91E48-251D-4EFF-BAA2-3D8F53C81895.jpeg

Collectorpalms

Here is an article on Identifying Filifera, I find part of it troubling however. If they had stuck with photos of the habitat ones it would have been more helpful, but I think there are hybrids in this too. If you look at identifying the Robusta it’s more hybrids I think.

https://idtools.org/id/palms/palmid/factsheet.php?name=Washingtonia+filifera

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1