IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bought these as pure Filifera, but yeah..

Keys6505

I bought these 2 trees with about 5' of trunk after the TX freeze last year to replace some hedges I lost.  The place I bought them from sells a lot of palms and swore they were Filifera.  The Robusta they had were cooked while these were only a little rough from the freeze but very alive.  I didn't see any red on the stems when I bought them.  There wasn't a whole lot of leaves on them at the time but the ones that were there looked dull with no sheen.  Now that they're filling out I'm thinking they're definitely Filabusta.  Agree/disagree?

20220109_155939.jpg

20220109_155642.jpg

20220109_155630.jpg

20220109_155509.jpg

• Upvote 1

I think it could be a Washingtonia filibusta with filifera dominant trait.

Edited by Trustandi
Submitted by mistake
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unless you collected the seed in Habitat, it could be a hybrid. End of the " is this a hybrid, Robusta, Filifera, Debate."

I have been through this over and over myself when I started planting palms. Just wait till another arctic front. If its unscathed after 14F its more filifera, 15-19, hybrids burn, and over 20 mostly Robusta burn, 25 very robusta.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 5

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Looks more robusta to me based on the reddish coloration and relative lack of fibers.  Filibusta should be more hairy in my opinion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Unless you collected the seed in Habitat, it could be a hybrid. End of the " is this a hybrid, Robusta, Filifera, Debate."

I have been through this over and over myself when I started planting palms. Just wait till another arctic front. If its unscathed after 14F its more filifera, 15-19, hybrids burn, and over 20 mostly Robusta burn, 25 very robusta.

Mine is Lowes' Washingtonia filifera. But I know it is a filibusta. It gets burnt in our artic blast 17F. @Collectorpalms is spot-on. 

PXL_20210512_174444350.jpg

PXL_20220104_210851364.jpg

9 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Yup... correct..and technically..

There's...

(WRxWF)= Robustifera ( more ideal with fast recoveries from cold damaged foliage generally quicker growth with increased trunk hardiness in comparison to robusta alone) still similar robusta trunked from mother..but bigger in form

(WFxWR)= Filibusta (less ideal with slower growth from foliar damage and similar filifera hardiness compared to filifera and a massive "not leaf hardy" crown/ trunk..( these are common in my area from nursery stocks shipped in)...

And everything from that.. 

wr x wf x wf   

X

wr x wf x wr

X

wf x wr x wf

If you want any chance of having pure forms..best to grow from seed.. locally isolated forms..

Imo.. and travel.. the TorC filifera are proven to be the purest filifera I've seen and experienced.. they've been there 50+ years..

20190328_150828.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

10 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Yup... correct..and technically..

There's...

(WRxWF)= Robustifera ( more ideal with fast recoveries from cold damaged foliage generally quicker growth with increased trunk hardiness in comparison to robusta alone) still similar robusta trunked from mother..but bigger in form

(WFxWR)= Filibusta (less ideal with slower growth from foliar damage and similar filifera hardiness compared to filifera and a massive "not leaf hardy" crown/ trunk..( these are common in my area from nursery stocks shipped in)...

And everything from that.. 

wr x wf x wf   

X

wr x wf x wr

X

wf x wr x wf

If you want any chance of having pure forms..best to grow from seed.. locally isolated forms..

Imo.. and travel.. the TorC filifera are proven to be the purest filifera I've seen and experienced.. they've been there 50+ years..

20190328_150828.jpg

Gorgeous palms! Las Cruces has some really fat trunked Filiferas also. I love those palms. Much prettier than the robustas. 

• Like 1

Definitely too green to be pure filifera, so yes a hybrid. Once you've seen a filifera you can spot one right away - dull green and tons of fibers. Robusta is bright green and less fibrous. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:30 PM, Keys6505 said:

I bought these 2 trees with about 5' of trunk after the TX freeze last year to replace some hedges I lost.  The place I bought them from sells a lot of palms and swore they were Filifera.  The Robusta they had were cooked while these were only a little rough from the freeze but very alive.  I didn't see any red on the stems when I bought them.  There wasn't a whole lot of leaves on them at the time but the ones that were there looked dull with no sheen.  Now that they're filling out I'm thinking they're definitely Filabusta.  Agree/disagree?

20220109_155939.jpg

20220109_155642.jpg

20220109_155630.jpg

20220109_155509.jpg

Here are some pictures today of Washingtonia that I collected as seed from old mostly “Filifera-looking”Washingtonia In San Antonio. 
These guys survived 2F and the only ones in the whole neighborhood to survive. I am not saying they are pure Filifera since they were not collected from Habitat, but it’s the best I could do at the time. You need to compare other parts of the fronds. 

9D04FD59-10C7-4DD2-A80F-3271FC9E5CC2.jpeg

E853ECE1-0FD6-4C81-9C95-8D28BD8CF881.jpeg

B78DFA8B-0102-49F0-8570-0B9BAEE57092.jpeg

4EB23BF1-2DDF-4DC0-A316-92FADABDCBCD.jpeg

E8C91E48-251D-4EFF-BAA2-3D8F53C81895.jpeg

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Here is an article on Identifying Filifera, I find part of it troubling however. If they had stuck with photos of the habitat ones it would have been more helpful, but I think there are hybrids in this too. If you look at identifying the Robusta it’s more hybrids I think.

https://idtools.org/id/palms/palmid/factsheet.php?name=Washingtonia+filifera

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1