IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii - midwinter

Josue Diaz

This year, my beccariophoenix seems to have grown even through winter (Fresno, California). It's currently opening up a frond, despite cold, wet conditions barely topping 60F during the day and falling to mid-30s at night. (Notice some slight frost damage on the brugmansia foliage in the background on the right.) 

This palm came from @Perito a few years back (2018, I believe).

20220110_083708.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 23
  • Upvote 4

Fantastic looking Josue!! Such a great species to grow for us.

• Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

19 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

This year, my beccariophoenix seems to have grown even through winter (Fresno, California). It's currently opening up a frond, despite cold, wet conditions barely topping 60F during the day and falling to mid-30s at night. (Notice some slight frost damage on the brugmansia foliage in the background on the right.) 

This palm came from @Perito a few years back (2018, I believe).

20220110_083708.jpg

How much is it exposed to sun?

My triple one is in shade and it grows slowly. I am not sure whether this is due to competition of the three plants or to the shade. Otherwise it looks pristine.

20220109_163200.thumb.jpg.faa5f651d272980b45470412feebaaac.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

My triple one is in shade and it grows slowly. I am not sure whether this is due to competition of the three plants or to the shade. Otherwise it looks pristine.

20220109_163200.thumb.jpg.faa5f651d272980b45470412feebaaac.jpg

Probably the shade. I have 3 of these in shade in Florida (where I grow there is too frosty to have them in the open) and they are all fairly slow even without root competition. They grow well just slower.

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Mine is in full sun from about mid-day on. However, there is a large 100-year old ginkgo tree to the Northeast of it, and everything in this area leans away from that tree. It was rather slow the first couple of years, and now seems to be speeding up. 

15 hours ago, Trustandi said:

It is so pretty. Another palm that I wish I could grow in my area. :)

Yes! it is one I really enjoy looking at every day. 

14 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Fantastic looking Josue!! Such a great species to grow for us.

I'm seeing them show up in nurseries throughout Northern CA. Hoping this is the next "queen palm" for the state. 

4 hours ago, KDubU said:

Looking very nice!

Agreed! thank you

Very cool! Yours look really healthy.  How are your borinquenas?

And I've seen some that size for sale at a retail nursery in Fresno. I'm happy to see these showing up at regular, run-of-the-mill nurseries and not just at specialty spots. 

4 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

Here are some from my yard this morning... They are pretty fast growers too!

2-D5-B8-C3-C-321-F-4-D3-C-A209-7-E575302

3140-CAF5-0-CCC-43-B8-B207-6541-D441804-

CBC27-C05-D8-DC-4725-90-EF-90091-EC7-E69

F9-E509-E1-C05-F-40-A9-AE9-D-F3595-D0-BB

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

Very cool! Yours look really healthy.  How are your borinquenas?

And I've seen some that size for sale at a retail nursery in Fresno. I'm happy to see these showing up at regular, run-of-the-mill nurseries and not just at specialty spots. 

I had one that wasn't healthy to begin with and it was in a bad spot, so it's gone. The southern wall is really warm and would do fine there (foxtail is happy) but it's hard to get healthy plants up here in NorCal when you're dependent on others bringing up their half dead palms. I do have a truck now though, so I guess I have to blame myself. 

On 1/11/2022 at 11:21 AM, enigma99 said:

I had one that wasn't healthy to begin with and it was in a bad spot, so it's gone. The southern wall is really warm and would do fine there (foxtail is happy) but it's hard to get healthy plants up here in NorCal when you're dependent on others bringing up their half dead palms. I do have a truck now though, so I guess I have to blame myself. 

Have youguys been getting foxtails at your HDs? Fresno seems to be carrying them regularly now for the last 2 years or so. 

but yeah, I hear ya. A drive to San Diego is a full weekend event, even from Fresno.

29 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Have youguys been getting foxtails at your HDs? Fresno seems to be carrying them regularly now for the last 2 years or so. 

but yeah, I hear ya. A drive to San Diego is a full weekend event, even from Fresno.

Hi Josue,

I have 3 HD Foxtails planted at various sizes in 3 very different locations in my yard. The largest was purchased as a 15 gal and is in full direct sun(4-8 hrs depending on the season)

The second largest was purchased as a 5 gallon and is in morning sun and then filtered light under canopy.

The smallest was a 3 gallon and is in full shade on the north side up against the house.

The first two are happier and grow about 15”-18” a year. The largest put out 5 leaves last year and is starting to finally fatten up. The one is full shade was the youngest to start but still grows the slowest due to lack of light.

All are tough palms and super wind tolerant which is nice with the Santa Anna’s.

DA6B4DFF-6CEB-49FE-ABCE-A19F3A0E3528.jpeg

84F8DECA-2BAA-4A9F-B595-C4E5D8966873.jpeg

66BBA59E-3F8E-4935-BFA1-870A4D53EC42.jpeg

Edited by James B
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, James B said:

Hi Josue,

I have 3 HD Foxtails planted at various sizes in 3 very different locations in my yard. The largest was purchased as a 15 gal and is in full direct sun(4-8 hrs depending on the season)

The second largest was purchased as a 5 gallon and is in morning sun and then filtered light under canopy.

The smallest was a 3 gallon and is in full shade on the north side up against the house.

The first two are happier and grow about 15”-18” a year. The largest put out 5 leaves last year and is starting to finally fatten up. The one is full shade was the youngest to start but still grows the slowest due to lack of light.

All are tough palms and super wind tolerant which is nice with the Santa Anna’s.

DA6B4DFF-6CEB-49FE-ABCE-A19F3A0E3528.jpeg

84F8DECA-2BAA-4A9F-B595-C4E5D8966873.jpeg

66BBA59E-3F8E-4935-BFA1-870A4D53EC42.jpeg

Very cool. I had good results with Wodyetia. I planted one and grew it for a few years, but lost it when it snapped at the base after a strong summer storm. I have a handful of seedlings from seed I got from @DoomsDave. They'll be going into 5 gallon soon, and eventually they'll go in the ground for me to try this species again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Very cool. I had good results with Wodyetia. I planted one and grew it for a few years, but lost it when it snapped at the base after a strong summer storm. I have a handful of seedlings from seed I got from @DoomsDave. They'll be going into 5 gallon soon, and eventually they'll go in the ground for me to try this species again. 

They are one of my favorites. They take a while to get moving in my climate but once they hit the 6 foot mark or so they start to take off. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 gallon planted Nov 2021.  Growing great.  Second photo today

Beccariophoenix alfredii 20211018 Untitled2.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii 20220115_134513.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL