• Similar Content

• Walt
      By Walt
      Forum members may recall I posted a video about a year, year and a half ago of one of my Butiagrus palms I lost to trunk rot. Well, now I lost my other, older Butiagrus palm to trunk rot. Both palms were planted about 50 feet apart from each other. Both palms were favorites of mine. The one I just lost I had been growing in the ground (started as a root bound 15 gallon size) since the spring of 2002. I was sorry to lose this palm. Now I feel I must replace this palm. I will start my search in about one month from now. I also recently lost a spindle palm with four feet of trunk to trunk rot, but this palm was growing at least 300 feet away from my Butiagrus. Now I must locate and buy another spindle palm, preferably one with some trunk.
      In any event, below is some video and photos I took of my dying Butiagrus palm and cutting it down and disposing of it. I cut most of the palm down, but I was having too much trouble with my chainsaw chain cutters getting quickly clogged with dead palm trunk fibers. I had a palm trimming company I frequently use to come in and haul away the trunk, cut the stump off and grind it.

• Jasper B
      By Jasper B
      Hello everyone, this is my first post. I live in Southern California / North County coastal San Diego. I have many more rare species (more interesting that date palm I mean, which is subject of this post), and started my garden only over last few years. Most palms are growing terribly slow (and are still very small); some staying healthier than others. I thought my Veitchi's could do without a cover this winter (for first time), since they had gotten nice and strong with a good start of a trunk, but they nearly died. Finally recovering a bit. Either way, still to early for me to impress you guys with pics from my other palms.

But, to get to the subject of my post, I have a plain-old Canary island Date Palm, that I bought it very small in 2004 or so, and it have been growing crazy fast, even through the winters. Then, about two years ago, I saw random leaves or parts of leaves turn brown. It tended to disappear, and then came back, and disappeared again.

This time, the leaves turning brown is much more wide-spread, and closer to the core/center where the leaves start. I remember hearing about a disease that killed many of these types of palms in LA area. Does anyone know the trouble with this palm? Is there anything I can do about it? And if not, what developments should I expect? Will it just die a slow death from here? Or might it recover by itself? Otherwise, the palm appears healthy and still growing like usual ...

I included some pictures. The first shows the palm as a whole. At first glance, it looks fine. But the close-up shows two expample leaves that turned brown near the core.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!