IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Less common Sabals in the Pacific NW?

MarkbVet

@Chester B where did u get your S. brazoriensis?   Other than rarepalmseeds, no one seems to have it. Plantdelights used to...   :-(   Would like to not have to start from seed. 

4 minutes ago, teddytn said:

@MarkbVet don’t forget jungle music, they usually have a good supply of different sabals for sale. They ship all over the U.S.

Thanks, yeah I like them... but they dont carry it.  :(  Just got a nice T. campestris from them today! (pics on Mature Jubaeas & hybrids in PNWr thread)

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

@Chester B where did u get your S. brazoriensis?   Other than rarepalmseeds, no one seems to have it. Plantdelights used to...   :-(   Would like to not have to start from seed. 

It was a one shot deal - pure luck. Palmscape had brought in some Sabals for a restaurant somewhere on the coast and had a couple leftover at one of their holding facilities. I told the owner I was looking for Sabals and he mentioned he had two but didn’t know what they were. He brought them over for me to look at. One had lost its spear from neglect so I only bought the healthy one. That’s the story. Based on morphology of fronds, flowers and seeds this is what I believe this palm to be. 

Originally it looked like a very old minor but changed appearance after a year in the ground. 

Just now, Chester B said:

It was a one shot deal - pure luck. Palmscape had brought in some Sabals for a restaurant somewhere on the coast and had a couple leftover at one of their holding facilities. I told the owner I was looking for Sabals and he mentioned he had two but didn’t know what they were. He brought them over for me to look at. One had lost its spear from neglect so I only bought the healthy one. That’s the story. Based on morphology of fronds, flowers and seeds this is what I believe this palm to be. 

Originally it looked like a very old minor but changed appearance after a year in the ground. 

I gather it's got a trunk now.  :-)    Thanks, will keep looking.   Or just go with S. bermudana or S. mexicana if I want a faster-trunking Sabal.  Maybe S. rosei too.  Some of these may trunk faster than birmingham or S. palmetto.

Small trunk but it is growing pretty quick for a Sabal , it put out almost 4’of those giant fronds this year. 

I don’t think mexicana are fast for us but should be very hardy. Bermuda is I think is the one you want. That and Riverside. My Riverside are small but I can see they grow much quicker than other Sabals for me. I was very excited to get them. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Small trunk but it is growing pretty quick for a Sabal , it put out almost 4’of those giant fronds this year. 

I don’t think mexicana are fast for us but should be very hardy. Bermuda is I think is the one you want. That and Riverside. My Riverside are small but I can see they grow much quicker than other Sabals for me. I was very excited to get them. 

Thanks for the input (as always)!   May pick up Riverside later this year, from JungleMusic or UrbanTropicals.