IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Trachycarpus found in backyard.

Paradise Found

The snow is almost gone and I discovered a new Trachy in my garden! If it wasn't for upstairs window I would never have discover it.  Trachycarpus 'Pancake". The leave come out horizontal and fan out.  LOL!  This is kinda a cool look from above. 

In all seriousness all my palms did really good including the mules BxQ. 

IMG-2629.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 6

Haha that’s funny. Just did a thorough investigation of my garden and everything looks to be A-ok. The only thing that got fried was my Acacia, which was loaded with flower buds. Little sad about that one. 

• Like 2

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

5 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

I would buy it "Trachycarpus  var. Pancake", hehehe... 

Nice @Paradise Found! I am rooting for your BxQ. 

Thanks, It looks pretty good thanks to three blankets over it.  And overhead canopy for extra protection in a microclimate. 

6 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

Haha that’s funny. Just did a thorough investigation of my garden and everything looks to be A-ok. The only thing that got fried was my Acacia, which was loaded with flower buds. Little sad about that one. 

I hope the Acacia grows back for you. Time will tell I guest.  I did have some damage on z9 cordyline I think they will recover from above or from the base. One of them is flopped over! 'Torbay Dazzer' was left out side and it did really good. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

I think all of my cordylines are turning into real pancake mushy-mess hahaha. 

I am sure they will be fine if they are the hardy green ones.  If they still have the tops standing straight up then your ok.  Lower leaves can be cut off or left on.  

Edited by Paradise Found

Yes, I didn't protect them since they were small and I was too lazy.  I bought them on Fred Meyer clearance.  :D

• Like 1

My red cordylines were toast just a few days into the freeze, even before we hit our ultimate low of 16f.  I think it was the duration of the freeze the killed them.  The green cordylines however all look fine.  I love the red ones.  Good think they're cheap and readily available, the just look great once they get bigger.  Next year I'll spend a few more dollars for the bigger 1 gal instead of the little planters I used to buy them in.  

• Like 1

Just made an interesting discovery.  My Cordyline "red star" all looked dead after being in the twenties for a couple of days.  But I have a Cordyline "salsa" that appears to be totally fine... it's small enough that it was blanketed in snow.  I'm not sure but it looks like it may be more hardy than the "red star" that is the most common variety here (I believe).  It also has brighter, more vivid colors.  Will look for more of this variety this year when Lowes starts stocking plants again.   I had assumed that the more wild the color, the less hardy it would be.  Still not sure but time will tell.  

Cordylines.png

• Like 1

Jesse wait till it warms up for a few weeks and see what happens.  Yes, snow saved your salsa.  Torbay Dazzler is very colorful and it make it just fine too. I had two dark leaf ones one inside the unheated greenhouse door open, and one in the ground next to the house in a pot and they both look like they have the same damaged. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.  Oh, the T.D. has surrounding palm trees for protection. 

Edited by Paradise Found

Oh snap! It looks like there won't be any pancake cordy yet. 

@Jesse PNW the cordy salsa looks kind of cool. Maybe I should look for it in the spring time.

PXL_20220104_210806254.jpg

Here are all my damaged cordylines. If you need a name just ask.  

Most did pretty good, one pink one died in the middle and is flop over.  Big dark leaf is 'Super'Star' and glad it made it. Zumba did ok and its z9 cordyline.  

My lows where 19, 22, 24, 27, 27 degrees.  5 days below 32F.

IMG-2691.JPG

IMG-2693.JPG

IMG-2684.JPG

IMG-2685.JPG

IMG-2658.JPG

IMG-2667.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

@Paradise Found sorry that you lost the pink one. What is the name of the last one on the pic? 

The pink one I will cut back to the ground and see what happens. The one your referring to is Cordyline 'tobay dazzler'.  One of my favorites and looks really outstanding next to blue plants. Bright yellow leaves and green. 

IMG-2520.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1