IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Snow, snow, snow!!!

Palmaceae

I think there is nothing more beautiful than palms in snow!

Was 77f Saturday with tornado watches and snow today.

It has been so warm lately my bananas thought it was spring, they were sprouting up.

0103220846_HDR.thumb.jpg.fa7617555ff820a228dcb1beb115dd16.jpg0103220846b.jpg

0103220846d.jpg

0103220850a_HDR.jpg

0103220846a.jpg

0103221014a.jpg

• Like 2

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Beautiful shots

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Glad I can enjoy the snowy vistas from far far away

• Upvote 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

2 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Glad I can enjoy the snowy vistas from far far away

...So far away someone would have to climb some stairs in a tall building to catch  ..very distant views of..   most years. 

Occasionally, you'll have a brief window to take a 1-2 hour car ride to get to some ..as it is melting  ( " Foothills is usually about as close as the white stuff gets here..  Before being chased off, back up to where it tries to hide, up in the mountains   by desert sunshine.   Snow knows it doesn't dare creep down into the valley, ..ever. ",  as i once heard someone say.. Humorous way of expressing how unwelcome snow is here.   lol )..

Nice to never have to worry about shoveling it, wasting money paying someone to shovel it..  ..Walking / driving in it  ...Let alone getting stuck in it  ..Oh the stories i could share! :winkie:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

...So far away someone would have to climb some stairs in a tall building to catch  ..very distant views of..   most years. 

Occasionally, you'll have a brief window to take a 1-2 hour car ride to get to some ..as it is melting  ( " Foothills is usually about as close as the white stuff gets here..  Before being chased off, back up to where it tries to hide, up in the mountains   by desert sunshine.   Snow knows it doesn't dare creep down into the valley, ..ever. ",  as i once heard someone say.. Humorous way of expressing how unwelcome snow is here.   lol )..

Nice to never have to worry about shoveling it, wasting money paying someone to shovel it..  ..Walking / driving in it  ...Let alone getting stuck in it  ..Oh the stories i could share! :winkie:

Yeah I've seen snow creep fairly low in the Superstitions over there, just enough to enjoy seeing but remind you about how much you don't want it to creep any lower.  Also have seen it in the Desert Mountain community in N Scottsdale.  That's the nice thing about living in a warm climate but with mountains nearby, can escape to cool off in the summer when it's so hot,  or in the winter if you're inclined to seek snow, you can.  As for me, I've had enough of it for my lifetime.  I do not own a snow shovel, left the last one I had in Ohio and was glad to do so.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xerarch said:

Yeah I've seen snow creep fairly low in the Superstitions over there, just enough to enjoy seeing but remind you about how much you don't want it to creep any lower.  Also have seen it in the Desert Mountain community in N Scottsdale.  That's the nice thing about living in a warm climate but with mountains nearby, can escape to cool off in the summer when it's so hot,  or in the winter if you're inclined to seek snow, you can.  As for me, I've had enough of it for my lifetime.  I do not own a snow shovel, left the last one I had in Ohio and was glad to do so.

It's gotten close a few times for sure.. Tucson has seen a dusting ..to about an inch or two a couple times since moving here.. Usually gone by the next day though.   Can't remember if i'd ever owned a snow shovel while living in either Kansas or Ohio lol.. May have borrowed a neighbors when clearing the driveway / where i parked. 

I appreciate seeing snow on the mountains about long enough to say " It snow up there " ..Then it has to go away, haha.  With my track record driving in it, forget me ever driving up to see it, esp. on steep mountain roads..

• Like 1

I'm ok with a little snow.. abq gets a tolerable amount.. I just wish it would stay above 15f every winter..

No snow this go around.. but lows bottomed out at 16f and 19f..

And on the mountain... they had to rescue 21 people from the Tram..

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/01/us/sandia-peak-tramway-rescue.html

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

6 hours ago, SailorBold said:

I'm ok with a little snow.. abq gets a tolerable amount.. I just wish it would stay above 15f every winter..

No snow this go around.. but lows bottomed out at 16f and 19f..

And on the mountain... they had to rescue 21 people from the Tram..

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/01/us/sandia-peak-tramway-rescue.html

Been in a Gondola during a pretty heavy snow shower ..not an enjoyable experience, esp. when you aren't fond of heights  lol..  Never a big fan of skiing anyway..  Whenever i went on ski trips to Lake Tahoe while in High school, would rather spend the entire time hanging out at / exploring the area around the place we were staying instead of hitting the slopes.

Only time i actually enjoyed seeing snow when i lived in KS or Ohio was right around Christmas,  and the last time it would snow ( for the year ) ..roughly sometime in  late Feb. / early March.. Was never heavy or caused many issues, but provided nice " winter " scenery under a full moon .. It would be gone - for good-  and we'd start seeing the first hints of spring  severe weather season within a day or two of that.

Will say this though.. The many other days where it stayed cloudy,  and there wasn't any snow on the ground,  but temps were locked in the teens / 20s..  really makes for a long winter..