IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just enough snow to damage my palms

WSimpson

At the tail end of that rainstorm   I got about 3" of heavy snow ( no accumulating snow in the last  2 winters )   , but it was just about the amount that can damage palms . 

Melting now at least , but some fronds may be permanently bent down . Hopefully most will slowly work their way back up to normal . Anybody else have pictures os this snow ?

With the coming cold in the low 20'sF that should be it for my Washy's fronds , snow or no snow . It was a good run . 

Will

51797363544_7761054422_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Palmarum said:

All that funny, crazy white stuff. So scary.

I got more than they forecast . It was supposed to be a no accumulation event . At least the streets melted immediately , but I hate it was just the perfect amount to start some damage to some of my palms . 

Will

• Like 1

I got 6" and all my palms pretty bad but it is melting and they are coming back pretty good.

snow.jpg

aug 2021 tropicals15.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

WOW! @Allen Even Alabama (North) got a good bit of accumulation from that system. 

It only flurried here with no accumulation (thankfully). Temps haven't gotten out of the 30's today though however. 

sun melting it nicely and I pushed off quite a bit.  For anyone interested in how a palm can bounce back.  Progress from this morning till this afternoon.

Afternoon with brush off and some sun

palmsnow.jpg

Morning 6" sticky snow

snow.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Nadda down here for snow , however, we did see some very strong winds and some good rain. Still 44 outside. Supposed to see 30 tonight… will see 

Nada up here in Northeast, coastal Jersey either, just cold and raw without sun. Another storm is eying the East Coast for Friday though.

12 hours ago, Allen said:

I got 6" and all my palms pretty bad but it is melting and they are coming back pretty good.

snow.jpg

aug 2021 tropicals15.jpg

What form is this ?  Those fronds hardly have any droopy leaf tips

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

13 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

At the tail end of that rainstorm   I got about 3" of heavy snow ( no accumulating snow in the last  2 winters )   , but it was just about the amount that can damage palms . 

Melting now at least , but some fronds may be permanently bent down . Hopefully most will slowly work their way back up to normal . Anybody else have pictures os this snow ?

With the coming cold in the low 20'sF that should be it for my Washy's fronds , snow or no snow . It was a good run . 

Will

51797363544_7761054422_b.jpg

What was your ultimate low? We missed out on snow here but got down to 16f and 19f..

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I'm so sorry Will. We had some heavy looking flakes here in Raleigh but they didn't stick to anything. Its shocking you got that much when you aren't that far away and our climates are about identical. But if 3" of heavy snow is enough to damage palms, I'm in for trouble. We've only had a trace of snow during the last two winters but we got a lot in 2018. I think we got 6" in one snow event that year. And its only a matter of time before that happens again for us. 

22 hours ago, knikfar said:

I'm so sorry Will. We had some heavy looking flakes here in Raleigh but they didn't stick to anything. Its shocking you got that much when you aren't that far away and our climates are about identical. But if 3" of heavy snow is enough to damage palms, I'm in for trouble. We've only had a trace of snow during the last two winters but we got a lot in 2018. I think we got 6" in one snow event that year. And its only a matter of time before that happens again for us. 

I lived in Raleigh for a couple years many years ago and I got snow both winters. I have friends of mine in Charlotte and they seem to get a little snow every year. 

the palms recover just fine especially in climates like ours with lots of summer heat. 

• Like 1

here in Newark my neighbor has needle palms and I have a livistona chinensis in the ground the needle palms are ok with snow but not the livistona so I protect it! and we are supposed to get 10F on Monday!

• Like 1

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

On 1/8/2022 at 9:48 AM, EJ NJ said:

here in Newark my neighbor has needle palms and I have a livistona chinensis in the ground the needle palms are ok with snow but not the livistona so I protect it! and we are supposed to get 10F on Monday!

I'm planning on trying out a livistona chinensis and planting it close to my house for added protection. How long have you had yours in the ground? And what are the lowest temps its made it through? 

I have had it in the ground since August it has made it through 19F and it's going to go through 9F on Thursday!

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

On 1/3/2022 at 1:00 PM, Will Simpson said:

I got more than they forecast . It was supposed to be a no accumulation event . At least the streets melted immediately , but I hate it was just the perfect amount to start some damage to some of my palms . 

Will

Are you watching this?

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=CAE&issuedby=CAE&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

F3BB724C-6829-4521-A7F3-0C4152865A57.jpeg