IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter is Coming

GregVirginia7

Looks like that “dip in the jet stream” is coming our way...so far I see two days/nights sub-freezing with most nights into low 20’s F and some upper teens. I’m off tomorrow so I think I’ll do a little prep but not like past winters. As I said earlier, I want to grow cold hardy palms in normal NOVA winters without overdoing it on the protection. Anyway, the new Trachy F. will get well protected, as it should for a winter or two with an umbrella and a nice layer of burlap and frost cloth on its cage with lights on the ground around the trunk and up to the crown, just a matter of inches...but everything else is going to get protection lite. The established Trachy will get some lights up the trunk (for looks) and on the crown. Same for the Brazoria. However, the Brazoria will get an umbrella over the crown, anchored with a shepherd’s hook and a blanket of lights on the ground, though a heavy rain will turn into a river around the Brazoria so I may have to improvise a bit. The Medi gets minimal as well. Sounds like a lot but compared to past winters, it’s definitely a pullback.
Will send after pictures tomorrow...

New little Trachy will get babied but that’s necessary:

image.thumb.jpg.8db1c3a242eae61116fbaf9e867309e3.jpg

Established Trachy and Brazoria get some lights and the Blue B gets an umbrella...

image.thumb.jpg.7fb0ae857bd9b6feb405b2f040e682cf.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.53f2d4fce9f8eccbcf8505ed70014361.jpg

The Medi is ready...it has a blanket of lights on the ground but I may use cover if I have to...will wait for a forecast in the mid teens...this is the palm that is going to be most tested...

image.thumb.jpg.df3d07969e801e2094375e84bc177b9c.jpg

These guys laugh every time I do this...no protection here...

image.thumb.jpg.eff6e6d6e4623e28b183984c89217c2d.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.bf960020a376a53f37e2e9a6fb5c3bb8.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.152be57e54d8cd742715f2bb8971f72a.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.9e7852cd02b4af0ea3cc07168618c0c3.jpg

Honestly, the Needles, McCurtain and Sabal minors give real meaning to the term cold hardy...they truly are great palms for this NOVA climate.

• Like 6

I checked my local forecast after seeing your post, it is still basically, ridiculously mild.  Probably going down as one of our warmest Decembers ever. Predicting a new record of 50 F for New Year's Eve at midnight, and the minimum after that cold front of only 27 F.,  and rising right after that again.

Nice palms! Won't be long before you're growing Butias.

Here is one of my Trachys after the first and only snow so far.

149B328C-6019-46F1-8C2B-2613F05D0FF7.thumb.jpeg.596730bc4395dc5a45d355a68239fc82.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a few teens in the forecast. I’ll throw the structure I built over the Trachy with lights but will probably follow suit and leave the needles and minors to fend for themselves. Hope it passes quickly 

• Upvote 1

Ok...this will be it for the winter...compared to my past overprotective routine, it’s minimalist to say the least. Of course, long duration sub-freezing cold will get a reaction, but generally speaking, this will be it...

The Brazoria gets lights at the base and landscaping cloth that can be clothes pinned shut at the top if necessary. Guess if I need to, I can wrap the fronds in burlap if we see the teens this winter but will keep it open otherwise...

image.thumb.jpg.6517029df3750fbc17532daf06ae62d9.jpg

The new Trachy F. has lights and a landscape wrapped cage...it’s ready to be further wrapped if necessary but will keep its south face open for a normal NOVA winter and so far, we seem way above normal...

image.thumb.jpg.bf34b826c74092d4af4b4817c1ec5519.jpg

The Medi has a blanket of lights and an umbrella...compared to years past, it’s nothing...

image.thumb.jpg.940d59194e083146b1e00c24834ab82a.jpg

Years past were probably a bit much? It seems happier exposed and open...but if I have to...

5BBB723B-5F36-400E-9100-CE890CF58454.thumb.jpeg.fd0639fda3010106ea5c09c2497c4ba3.jpeg

The established Trachy will get nothing as I ran out of lights (that worked!) would like to let it be a cold hardy palm anyway...I have given all my palms a dose of copper fungicide spray on the crowns and will make sure the big Trachy gets its regular doses of that this winter...also did a molasses tonic for all of them since it has been so warm...Happy New Year and wishing all a normal winter.

A9A98158-E857-4DE5-989D-8C647E1D2316.jpeg

1 hour ago, ColumbusPalm said:

I have a few teens in the forecast. I’ll throw the structure I built over the Trachy with lights but will probably follow suit and leave the needles and minors to fend for themselves. Hope it passes quickly 

I’d agree on the needles and minors...yours seem to be located close to the house so that will benefit them a lot, too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oasis371 said:

I checked my local forecast after seeing your post, it is still basically, ridiculously mild.  Probably going down as one of our warmest Decembers ever. Predicting a new record of 50 F for New Year's Eve at midnight, and the minimum after that cold front of only 27 F.,  and rising right after that again.

Nice palms! Won't be long before you're growing Butias.

Here is one of my Trachys after the first and only snow so far.

149B328C-6019-46F1-8C2B-2613F05D0FF7.thumb.jpeg.596730bc4395dc5a45d355a68239fc82.jpeg

Yes... I see I looked at the wrong zip code forecast but I’m ready now for whatever heads this way...

• Like 1