IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dasylirion and Nolina in my Beaverton Oregon garden

MarkbVet

Here's a couple more pics of my desert plants (other than palms);  one is a trunking Nolina nelsoni, blue desert beargrass.  It's about 7 feet tall.  It flowered a couple  years ago and since has branched into 4-5 growth heads.  It died to the ground first year I planted it, thought it was gone...then the following spring 2 tiny blue grass blades sprouted from the ground.  15+ years later, voila!   The 2nd is Dasylirion wheeleri,  blue desert spoon or blue sotol.   It's also flowered once in recent years.  Quite small when planted 15+ years ago.  Like virtually all my plants, these survive w/o winter protection, provided they're planted in raised beds w/ plenty of sand for drainage. 

Nolina nelsoni, bear grass 7 feet tall.jpg

Dasylirion wheeleri- sotol or desert spoon.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Nice, check out this thread on yucca, currently 8 pages and going. We’ve been throwing Dasylirion and Nolina in this thread as well.

• Like 3

Those are looking great. The biggest ones I’ve seen around. I had a Dasylirion longissimum but like many of my ground level plants the damn rabbits destroyed it. In the last while they have eaten small Trachycarpus, Jubaea, Cordyline and many many more plants. I can’t get rid of them. As soon as one gets killed another will replace it within a week. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chester B said:

Those are looking great. The biggest ones I’ve seen around. I had a Dasylirion longissimum but like many of my ground level plants the damn rabbits destroyed it. In the last while they have eaten small Trachycarpus, Jubaea, Cordyline and many many more plants. I can’t get rid of them. As soon as one gets killed another will replace it within a week. 

wow sorry to hear that!   Wonder if rabbit advocates or someone could help trap/relocate them, usually if they're feral domestic rabbits they'll rehome them.  But if they're breeding, sometimes is hard to keep up with the population!

7 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Nice, check out this thread on yucca, currently 8 pages and going. We’ve been throwing Dasylirion and Nolina in this thread as well.

Thanks, I'll check it out... i have a lot of yucca varieties, including some very large trunking specimens.   

Yucca schottii with offset at base, & Trachy trunk behind to right.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

There is an overpopulation of wild rabbits near me. The coyotes haven’t been in my area like they used to. 

6 hours ago, Chester B said:

There is an overpopulation of wild rabbits near me. The coyotes haven’t been in my area like they used to. 

Yeah, rabbits and deer can be tough on plants.  :-(   

10 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Yeah, rabbits and deer can be tough on plants.  :-(   

Our gardens are one big Salad Bar for them. LOL! I use rodent spray that works until it rains and then you have to reply again.  Really good for putting on flowers and new tender growth.

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

My dog loves rabbits. As in loves to kill them. He does a good job keeping them out of my seedlings most of the time. 

You guys live in ‘murica, can’t you just shoot everything that moves? 

Just kidding, wish I had a bigger property so I could shoot all the neighbourhood deer and rabbits we have. I’d have a full freezer all the time. 

Nice looking plants though. Glad to see some decent size on them which is rare to see with Yuccas and relatives in our climate. 

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)